1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help me pick a graphics card guys...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Faraaz, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hi guys,
    Well, I was going to be purchasing a notebook soon, and I wanted to ask you guys whether there would be a marked difference in the FPS numbers if I went for a 128 MB Radeon 9800 instead of a 64 MB GFx 5200...I was looking t play at KOTOR, and ToEE, and NWN:HoTU and eventually just Half-Life 2, Doom III and Far Cry.

The rest of the system is top notch with a 3.02 Gig Processor with a gig of RAM. So, could you chaps leave your opinions please?

2. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, since you are looking to play Half-Life 2, Doom III, and Far Cry, you would be wise to get a 128 MB Radeon 9800.

Whether or not you will see a difference in KOTOR, ToEE or NWN will mainly be factored on your resolution and detail level, as well as anti-aliasing. With the Radeon 9800, you will easily be able to play those games at 1280x1024 with full detail levels and 4x anti-aliasing, if not 8x anti-aliasing.

I would go with the Radeon 9800 just so you would not have to worry about upgrading your video card for a long time. Cheaper in the long run, I would think. Otherwise your system looks very good. Feel free to complete it with a Radeon 9800 ;)

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    With the games you've listed, I'm guessing you'll notice a big difference between 64 meg and 128 meg. Given that the 5200 is basically a budget card, and the 9800 Pro is high end, there really isn't much comparision performance-wise.

4. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've got a Radeon 9800 pro 128mb, and it gives better performance than two of my friends who's got GF cards (same CPU otherwise). The Radeon cards have gotten better grades than the GFs cards (of what I've read, 'course).

I'd go for the Radeon any time. I play KotOR with high (I cannot remeber exactly) graphics with 2.4GHz, 512 RAM and Radeon 9800 pro. Since you've got a bit better processor and RAM, you'd do ok.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Thanks for the info guys. Well, I was buying it as part of a notebook computer, so getting the 128 MB Radeon 9800 is *QUITE* expensive, compared to the 64 meg GFx 5200.

Anyway, I'll just buck up and save for another couple of months then. :(

PS: Does anyone know whether I can buy Alienware rigs in Australia? (Sydney to be precise)

PPS: What kind of performance difference would I find in above mentioned games with a Radeon 9600 128 MB card and Radeon 9800 128 MB card?

[ April 05, 2004, 16:28: Message edited by: Faraaz ]

6. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

@ PPS - I'd say quite alot, especially if you're looking to play newer games like Doom III and Far Cry. I cannot recall exactly what the diffrences are, though the 9800 gives you better performance in everything. Since you're looking at playing new games, short on cash to upgrade any time soon(?) , you'd be best off with the 9800. :)

7. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

During E3 last year, valve picked radeon 9800 to present their halflife 2 to the world. what can be a better reason for pick other card than this?

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes and then they cut a multi million dollar deal with ATI to distribute HL2 with their cards. Then the game was delayed another year. So now the new cards coming out next month will have no problem running HL2.

Hold on for the new cards. This is a very bad month to buy. All new technology will be here in just a short month, which will be faster than anything out there now. Even if you go with older technology in the long run, it will be much cheaper once the new ones hit the market.

9. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i agree, a radion9800 128mb is a great choice, but the latest gf has 256mb and is i think rumoured to also boost to a 512, but it costs a lot, so if you got the money go for the gf, but otherwise the radion9800 would do fine for the games you are getting, plus your processor could handle it perfectly

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

THX Chandos :D

12. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Yeah the new nVidia card looks very impressive, doubling the frame rate over the 9800xt in some games. One thing that was eyecatching to me about the new nVidia card was that it should hit the street in late May with a price @ $400...that's over a $100 dollars cheaper than the ATI card came out with.

I know a lot of people who have stuck with nVidia, despite the higher performance of ATI cards, due to a higher level of reliability, especially for non-game applications.

This is by no means a coup for Valve and ATI, especially after HL2 was delayed and the source code leaked. I think we'll be seeing this "partnership" more often...in fact nVidia is the official video card for id software, which will be releasing Doom3 before HL2 comes out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.