1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help. Lost my saved games

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Aug 20, 2009.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm not sure if this belongs here as it's more of a Vista problem than a NWN problem.

My saved games folder was getting a little cluttered with different characters I was trying. I had two that I liked and wanted to keep. I decided to move all the saved games except for the character I was playing to another folder. I then decided to right-click on the folder, get properties, click advanced, and "compress the contents to save disk space".

I think while it was doing so, I accidentally hit cancel while closing a lot of open windows.

Now, two days later I can't find the folder with the saved games. I've tried to search for "*.sav", but it can only find stuff in my
    "Partition_1 (C:)\NeverwinterNights\NWN\save"
    folder.

I'm not sure I'm searching properly with Windows Vista Home premium. THe search interface is quite different from either Windows 95/98 or Windows XP. I've also tried chkdsk the way I'd do it in XP from the command line and also double-clicking on "computer" then choosing the tools tab and clicking on "check now" then restarting.

Again, although I've been using Vista for a couple months, I still feel inept compared to my considerable troubleshooting skills in 98 and XP. Could somebody offer their opinions on what might have happened? I've checked the recyele bin, and the files are NOT there. There is stuff that was deleted a while ago in there, so unless Vista works differently than all versions of Windows since 95 and might have deleted something tossed in there more recently than something tossed there a while ago, I don't think they were deleted normally.

If there's a way files might have been deleted bypassing the recycle bin other than with the command line, it might help to know that. Also a double-check on how to get Vista to search all of the C drive might help.

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Vista is mean. It places savegames at a horrible place like hidden folders(maps)6 or 7 maps deep. I once found savegames in a hidden folder called app data.

I checked the box show hidden folders and now am able to access those folders.

Did you search with the character name?

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The only thing search found was the level one character files in Localvault, and getting it to cough that much up was a PITA. I don't know that I'm working the "improved" search right. Give me the old Win9X search tool over this any day. Even the XP one that makes you jump through hoops to search a specific location is better than the one in Windows PISSta.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Try http://desktop.google.com/.

Check C:bad:Documents and Settings or C:bad:Users for saves on Vista.

Though as far as I know, only NWN2 puts saves there; NWN1 should have them in its own directory even under Vista.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I moved them to another folder so the display would be less cluttered while trying a new build. I then compressed the folder and stopped worrying about them. I thought the new folder was in the c:bad:neverwinternights\nwn folder, but I might have accidentally moved it someplace else. I've tried searching for it, but search comes up blank. Either that, or the directory was corrupted while compressing it.

The saves normally go to C:bad:NeverwinterNights\NWN\saves

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.