1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help in beating Guthma in the horde fortress.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Erebus, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Right now I am stuck against Guthma & co. one of my fighter/clerics are dead, so, any body got some tips?

2. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I did this part with 3 different party's and I didn't had any trouble with Guthma.
    Just send your strongest fighter out at Guthma, let your ranged attackers and mages kick the mages ass, then concentrate all on Guthma...
    Good luck

3. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

I went in with my rogue and pasted somebody and then I kilt [sic] them by groups. In hOf I had a pretty powerful sorcerer that used that regenerating burning spell near the first intersecting hallways in order to keep their mages from getting any spells off. I blocked the door with my tanks and fired arrows and spells until they died. My first time through, I didn't have a cleric. I just restarted hOf while I'm waiting for Mr. Extremist to get back to me and I think I'm going to have a very strong cleric when I get there. However, I bought the immediate healing spell (once-a-day heal medallion for paladins or clerics) from the general's wife in Targos. Nope, don't like to sleep, don't like to die. My cleric is already level 10 at the Shaengarne River -- however, this doesn't mean anything as the game gets progressively harder as your average level goes up. I don't recall that Guthma was particularly tough. Remember to take out one of their guys at a time(usually their toughest or their mages then arrow guys). This way their group gets cut down to your size very quickly. There are some good fighting tips from the Tempus Priest in the town of Targos at the healing pavillion.
    IaaA?
    IaaA?

4. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah but his mages keep casting web before I can get to the target, and don't forget he also has huge amounts of body guards.

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My best advice would be to run back to town, get the dead person ressurected, rest, re-stock on all available goods, and go running in guns blazing!

6. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What about an Area-effect spell like Fireball, Stinking Cloud, Icestorm or such??

It helped me ;)

7. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

Strange you guys think this is such a hard battle. What level are your party members?
    I just thought of this battle as another pile of orcs or goblins with one or two shamans. Just get your fighters in and attack guthma, he will fall fast. Meanwhile, let your ranged attackers and mages kill the mages. If this is to hard, buff up your fighters. This should work

8. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I found this battle very easy actually, here was my party:

Jackelson the Strong:
    Battleguard of Tempus: 3
    Fighter: 2

Gleshdon Delarque:
    Fighter: 4
    Barbarian: 1

Draesonre:
    Ranger: 3
    Barbarian: 2

Urgosh Battlehammer:(both names are intended puns, the first name only true P&P D&D guys will get.)
    Fighter: 5

Lord Daemonicus(My pride and joy.(Wizards are the most interesting and powerful class, especially in P&P, but 16th level in IWD2 can wreak ultimate havok on a solo romp))
    Wizard: 4
    Barbarian: 1(He needed the extra hit die)

Sir Charles Desch V(All of my paladins have always been named Sir Charles Desch, he is the 5th so far :) )
    Paladin of Helm: 5

They were all lvl. 5 at the time, I made damned sure of it. I think this is because when I played Pokemon (The game is great, the hype is total ****) I was always focused on an even team.

Anyways, that was my party, not especially great and all powerful. With Guthma, I had Draesonre and Gleshdon attack with ranged weapons and take out mages and clerics (nasty little buggers they are!) and then the combined might of Jackelson, Gleshdon, Urgosh and Sir Charles would engage, with Draesonre and his trusty bow at ranged, and Daemonicus would pound on the enemy with his great might! In the end they quivered at the sheer raw power of Lord Daemonicus!!!. Okay, well, thats it.

"Taste The Bite Of My Arcane Wind!!!"

[ January 03, 2003, 13:54: Message edited by: Lord Neon ]

9. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Personally I had my rogue scout the area. A critical backstab and the jailkeep went down without a noise, I managed to have my party battle its way to the cells with ranged backup from the rogue, a web spell into Guthma's room kept them at bay. As I cleared the last of the corridor we talked to the scout in the cell. My party took a few minute breather in which I hasted my Half - Orc Barbarian. My party stormed the room while the barbarian took out all mages and ranged attackers.

Guthma finally dropped with a hand attack from my female Drow Necromancer! I'm now at the end of the Ice Temple and its still her greatest kill :D A critical at 6 points :D

10. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hide your scout and let him in. When you see the first group on your left. Attack them once and run back to your party. They will follow but not all monsters. Kill them at the entrance.
    Follow the same pattern for all groups. At the very end, you will have just Guthma and his lieutenants left. They will cry out loud but noone will hear their screams. :evil:

11. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Be sure to clean the left and upper rooms,then fireball and guthma till death...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.