1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help for the computationally challenged

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Ironbeard, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

(anyone who saw my temporary test message - that's just because I wasn't sure if I remembered my password and didn't want to type a long post)
    Basically, I'm looking for help optimizing my PC. It's about four years old, has a 350 MHz Pentium II processor, 128MB of RAM, and a 16MB Voodoo Banshee (I think - I had a lot of trouble reinstalling the drivers when I formatted my hard disk last year). Lately, it's been running games (game demos more so than full games) which require similar, or slightly lower, stats poorly or not at all. And now I hear tales of people running NWN smoothly on low-end machines - what am I doing wrong?

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited June 25, 2002).]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] 1. You hear stories of people who manage to run NWN on machines with CPUs lower than recommended - and that's about it. Sure, running the game is possible, but crawling would be a batter term. You can run a game on a CPU lower than recommended, but it'll keep slowing down in larger areas and sometimes freezing completely, especially if any large battles happen.

2. With a Voodoo card you won't be able to run practically any new games, since the Voodoo cards have been abandoned years ago, no new drivers for them are being made and no gaming companies bother to include support for them today, since they know Voodoo is DEAD.

3. Buy a faster CPU (Durons are very cheap, but good), extra 128MB RAM and any GeForce card from GeForce 2 MX up any you'll be able to run any games on the market today. (You'll also need a new motherboard for this, though.)

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

And the game suddenly became a bit more expensive :D.

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

This isn't a lot of help but might give you some food for thought. By the time you've added a new motherboard, memory, graphic card and processor, it is often as cheap or cheaper to buy a new PC. That way you can also be sure it will (should) work together and you get a better gurantee. If I remember correctly though, you're studying at the moment so money will be very tight. The food for thought is that sometimes your Univeristy computer department might have a deal for cheaper PCs from a major supplier so ask them what's available. Also in a few months time the Master Students will be finishing and heading home. If you are at a place where there is a high number of foriegn students, they sell their PCs cheap as they can't take them with them.

Alternatively you could always do what I did and win a new PC in a competiton :rolling:

If you want to get an idea of prices, take a look here:
    http://www.dabs.com/home.asp for components and some systems
    http://www.insight.com/uk/index.php ditto
    http://www.meshplc.co.uk/ for systems
    http://www.evesham.com/ ditto
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk for convinience

To get the most out of your old PC you could also uninstall all the rubbish you don't use now and reformat it if you haven't for a while.

5. Or you could just tweak your little puter. Worked fine for me --> www.tweak3d.net

6. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Here is a great site for finding computer parts for as little as possible. www.pricewatch.com

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

1. CPU - buy whatever you want as long as it's new and in your nearby store. In not-online stores you won't find old chips. One thing, if you choose to buy AMD's CPU, do buy additional cooler. These things are faster and cheaper than Intel's, but are overheating.

2. GFX card - I advise you to go for at least GeForce 3 (recommended for Sea Dogs 2 this very year, logically it tends to be minimum next year).

3. RAM - if you're running Win98, no need to upgrade that, believe me. WinME and later will definetly need 128Mb more, as Tal said.

4. Sound - if you don't plan to make your home a music studio, I don't see why would you buy that. Use on-board chip from your motherboard. This thing is totally cheap, but you surely won't have problems with it. Oh, one thing, on-board soundchips don't have EAX. But then again, Bioware's engines are not very friendly with EAX.

5. Other - loadsa, loadsa new games. The true value of your "upgraded" PC will be how many hours you'll sit in front of it, right? ;)

8. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just wanted to add one thing Extremist

Whenever you buy a new CPU, espescially if it's been a long time since you changed your computer, you will have to buy a new mainboard that supports your CPU manufacturer and it's speed.

Also don't think that you shouldn't get an AMD CPU because they tend to generate more heat than Intel's, because they are made to withstand more heat than the Intel CPU's.

Just make sure you buy a heatsink and a cooler that is specially made for your CPU and you shouldn't have a problem. If you do get problems with heat just buy a cabinet fan and you should be good to go.

I recomend the AMD's because they give good performance for less money than Intel. They tend to be sligthly less stable than Intel, but it's no problem....(I use an AMD and run games like Morrowind on the best settings with no problems with overheating or any other problems, good cooling is the key)

On your new mainboard you'll have DDR RAM probably, so 256 should keep you in the clear for a long time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.