1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help Finding Norse Mythology or Viking Culture

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Volsung, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Have you guys ever heard of a book -in English-(new or old, I don't care) based upon Norse mythology and/or Vikings' culture? I'd love to read such a novel.

If not, I have no other choice but to find and read the Eddas and the Sagas.

P.S.
    Excuse me for this stupid title, but today was a very tiring day and it's midnight so I can't think of anythng better right now.

[ November 27, 2003, 23:36: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I don't know a novel about vikings in english but I remember that there was short story with the title "Act of faith" (I can't remember the author's name), which was translated in greek in the compilation under the title "Stories of heroic fantasy" (Istories iroikis fantasias) published by Orora editions.

Also, perhaps you can find some online books about the vikings and their mythology here .

3. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Funny you should mention this, I've spent the past week trying to aquaint myself with as much Japanese, Native American, and Norse mythology as possible.

If this is your first interest in Norse mythology (and in general you don't know much about it) I'd reccomend: An introduction to Viking Mythology by John Grant which came out in paperback last year so you can get it for $7 in the U.S. on Amazon.com -- and help out SP ;) I'd also reccomend Gods and Heroes from Viking Mythology by Brian Branston -- it's pretty extensive and not too hard to read but might be hard to find, I've heard it's out of print. Another possibility is the World Mythologies Series, which are usually very good and I think they've probably written one on Vikings.

I'm more of a website person myself (much less expensive) so I can easily tell you the ones I've used in the last week.

Here is one particular website dedicated to Viking/Germanic/Norse mythology and the Gods (but mostly on the different stories): http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/mythlinks.html

This one's dedicated to Norse Mythology and more on the historical side than the other one: http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~cherryne/mythology.html

And this one dedicated to Vikings in general and has a some good stuff on mythology: http://www.missgien.net/vikings/myth.html

Hope that helps!

4. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Thank you all (including BTA for the title he found ;) ). Especially you BOC. Silverwolf, I know much about their mythology and culture but as I already said, I want a novel. Nevertheless the third link should be quite useful (I am already aware of the other sites- I'm a website person too, you see).

5. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I don't know of how much help this will be but you can try Poul Anderson's War of the Gods. Or Hammer and the Cross by Harry Harrison.

The last book I'd recomend hasn't been released yet. It is scheduled on March 2004 and was written by G. G. Kay who has it losely based around the period of Alfred the Great.

Since I don't know much about the Norse mythology I don't know how good or bad these recomendations are but AFAIK all of those books are founded upon Norse mythology or Viking culture.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.