1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help!! Does anyone know the name of this book?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Silvery, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hiya dears

I'm really stuck! I need to know the name of a book I read years ago. I remember the story but not the title or author! Help!!

A young lad sees some hooded figures through a window, they're doing something round a table. Because he's seen this, they force him to travel randomly through various dimensions. He meets a girl who is also forced to wander. She has a shape-shifting arm. They then meet some demon hunters who realise that the girls arm is the key to destroying the hooded people.

They finally arrive back at the young lads world but it's years in the future. They destroy the hold that these hooded guys have but the price is that the lad has to continue wandering. It's ok though, because he now has a device that lets him choose the dimension that he goes to.

Does it sound familiar to anyone???

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sorry, don't know but it does sound interesting!

3. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Yeah, you had me at "She has a shape-shifting arm" :D

4. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Interesting query. There's few things that'd help:

Can you give a rough estimate on how many pages the book had?
    How many years ago have you read it?
    What's the decade the book was published? 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's?
    Can you remember if the writer was a male or female?
    What's the witer's nationality? Was it a typical angloamerican name, or perhaps from another country?
    What was the cover illustration like?

I'll try to find the book, queries exactly like this are part of the job, so it's good practice :thumb:

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    oh God! I read it in the 90's, not sure when it was written but judging by the references made, I think it would have been 80's/90's. I think the writer was male but I'm not sure.

Thank you darling x

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    ...hmm, okay, what kind of references exactly?

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    No idea, but I'm curious as to what the answer is.

8. Silvery

Media:
    Just general stuff relating to silly things like cars, decor, computers etc. I do know at one point, the lad meets that guy who was sentanced by the gods to have his liver pecked out by a vulture every day.

He also had to give up hope in order to win over the hooded guys. The vulture dude knew this but wouldn't tell him as he might have started hoping to give up hope

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    This was Prometheus, the Greek god (a Titan, to be exact) who stole fire and gave it to mankind and was punished by Zeus.

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

11. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Bingo The Kilted Crusader!

How'd you find it?

I did have a feeling that it must be a classic SF/fantasy writer, but Diana Wynne Jones didn't cross my mind...

I am humbled...all my searching proved fruitless...this time...

The Great Snook likes this.
  12. Silvery

Media:
    Thank you so so so much!!! I loved this book when I was younger and I really want to read it again for a bit of nostalgia! I really owe all of you for your help. Thank you xxx

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Iku - I did a search on wikipedia for a list of books that involved travelling to alternate universes and looked at the ones that mentioned anything similar to what Silvery described.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.