1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help an SP Member in Need

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm posting this on behalf of Spellbound, a regular member on our boards. She is currently in a desperate situation, and considering how close this community is, I hope there are some of you who are willing and able to help her. It was not her idea to make this thread (ArtEChoke, another chatroom regular, has encouraged me to post it, with her permission), but I felt it should be done. I asked her to provide a short description of her situation, so that all of you can get a good idea of what she is facing:

"Well, let me begin by saying….I never thought I would ever be in this position…not ever in my lifetime. I’ve been looking for a job since November...unemployment assistance ran out in March. I’ve been interviewing steadily for a variety of positions in my field of IT project management, but have received no offers. I have a Ph.D. in Management/MIS, an MBA (Economics/Statistics) and a Bachelor of Science degree in Management, with a Marketing and Economics focus. I never expected anything like this would ever happen to me. Over the last few months, I lowered my standards to accept anything out of my field , even looking for car-selling jobs, commission-only recruiting jobs, travel agent jobs – anything that will pay the bills. I’m at the end of my rope now…. rent is due tomorrow (I think I’ll receive a “3 days to vacate” notice after the 3rd), lights will be turned off on the 2nd (trying to work with them), along with the phone and water turned off next week, etc.. My family has helped as much as they can – my dad is elderly and doesn’t fully grasp the situation and my mother is in the early stages of Alzheimers – she still thinks I’m teaching at the University (from years ago).

It was not my idea to ask for assistance here…..I’ve never been in this type of situation before and find it humiliating and highly embarrassing. ArtEchoke and Tal (who has already helped immeasurably) asked if they could help through SP and I simply wasn’t in a position to decline. This all upsets me a great deal and I’m having a difficult time dealing with it. For those of you who decide to help, I cannot pay you back until I get on my feet…until I get a job. To the people that I am close to…..Tal, ArtE, Falstaff and others…I don’t know what I would have done if not for your friendship and emotional support over the past months. I wouldn’t be here, I don’t think."

You might have noticed that Spellbound has the golden Distinguished Member title here, which means she has contributed substantially to SP. I have done what I could, and returned to her the money she has donated, but that money has nearly run out by now.

Spellbound has a PayPal account she's used to donate to SP in the past, so just click here if you would like to send her some money to help out. If you consider the money you sent to her a loan, please specify this in the "Note" field when you make the transaction. She would also welcome any job offers at deborahstevenson@comcast.net

Thanks in advance to any of you who will help.

EDIT: To emphasize, the link above will send money directly to Spellbound. SP has nothing to do with it. So by donating money there you help her exclusively.

EDIT #2: When you are making a donation, please include your board username in the note, so Spell will know who to thank.

[ July 01, 2004, 01:02: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Godspeed Spelly...my heart goes out to you. My brother lives in your neck of the woods (Portland), so I know how abyssmally crappy the job market is in that region at the moment. He's dealt with the same thing recently. He spent over a year without a job and once he found one, he was laid off 6 months later. You're not alone, and don't for one minute feel ashamed. There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. It's just the state of things right now.

I'll make a donation as soon as I can - and I'll keep an ear out for any jobs. Not sure how much I can accomplish from Houston, but I'll try. You have my prayers and best wishes, regardless.

edit - just sent.

Hey SP! Let's all pitch in. Dig deep, biatches! Pretend it's Christmas in July. I'll even make Splunge wear a Santa suit! :D

[ July 01, 2004, 00:41: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Job hunting is tough work. The problem with looking for work 'outside of your field' is that people decline you saying you're 'over-qualified'. I hate that.

The irony for you is that in New Zealand and all Europe and other parts of the world, there are massive IT projects underway to overhaul accounting systems in order to comply with International Financial Reporting Standards and there is big demand for good IT project managers, especially in the big banks and financial institutions. I know we can't find many good ones.

Unfortunately for you, the USA is one country that is still holding out against moving to International standards so non of these projects exist there.

All the best anyway. I'm sure it will all turn out OK in the end for someone as intelligent as you.

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I've done what I can, I really hope things work out for you. You don't deserve this :(

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Damn, if I weren't in a kinda tough economical position myself, I would give everything I could spare, which usually is a bit. Unfortunatly, I don't get funds from school due to it being summer vacitation, so I cannot give anything right now.

Godspeed, Spelly.

6. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well... I don't know what to say...I'm so overwhelmed by all of your caring. :cry: From deep in my heart, I thank you all for your support and kind words. And especially...for those of you who sent money: Dark Goddess, Death Rabbit, Splunge, Gopher, Seayer, BTA, Takara, dmc, Shadowhunter, Harbourboy, Aldeth, Falstaff, Sarevok...and those in process and who have helped in other ways: Dareth, Lokken and Rastor....I'm so overwhelmed at your generosity, a mere "thank you" can't possibly convey what I'm feeling at the moment. I know we all care for each other here on SP -- but I never expected anything like this. Thank you all so much for your friendship. :cry:

[ July 01, 2004, 21:10: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Godspeed. I so wish now I had an account already set-up with internet transfer options :( Unfortunately, I'm a cash only guy and I don't even have a traditional account.

I make websites, though, and it's holidays for me now, so I could make a couple even right now payable to the paypal account. Drop me a PM if anyone is interested.

8. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    chevy, I just left a message for my ex roomate to call me. He needs help with this http://www.cabledogg.com Maybe I can be the middle man for a SP money transaction this time :p

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I don't know if I can help you fiscally, but I hope things will be looking up for you and your family soon. Best of luck to you - I deeply hope both your community at Sorcerer's Place and your community in your neighborhood can support you while you are between jobs.

10. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] It is always sad to look at someone in need. But after all there friends and to help each other is what a friend is meant to be.

Spelly, don't feel bad about it; most of us have crossed the line of desperation more than once, but with your friends (hopefully me to be included here) supporting you there is no challenge you can't take.

I've been there myself before and all I can practically say is hang in there dear; and ALWAYS act cheerfully and interested at job interviews, after all we're sensitive animals and most of the time we respond better to emotions... So sometimes an enthusiastic person gets the job while a sad looking person; though the best at the position, does not. It sounds stupid and really it is, but consider what I've said.

Just hang in there fellow member.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I just sent Spellbound a possibility for a job in her specialty, so hopefully she can get back to me soon. I do know of a few more in her regional area, but they may not be as close to where her degrees lie.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I have to say I'm very proud of how the whole community has responded to this issue - I couldn't have hoped for more. Just another example of the excellence of the SP community.

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Hey - what are friends for?

I know where you are, and where you've been - and have been there myself. I know how important good friends can be at a tough time like this.

Job hunting is a mofo, but I KNOW that you'll find something great.

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

She told me that she's already submitted applications for some of the jobs that I told her about. Hopefully we'll hear back shortly that she's found a job.

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It is a pain in the ass but it is not all so bad :wave: I have sent some money so have a drink on me.

16. NaeVa Banned

I've sent you some job listings (you already know about them at the time of this posting.) If I had any money at all, I'd send it immediately. When I start work, I'll send my first paycheck to you. It may not be much, but it should help. I truly hope you find something, and that you never have to worry about money again. You're a great person, Spelly. It's a pity that no one can see that and hire you. (I'm not referring to SPers, rather, the employers.)

Anyway, best of luck, and may you have some success in this.

17. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hi everyone.... I've been updating my earlier post with everyone's names, but I wanted to repost it here again. My deepest thanks to :

Dark Goddess, Death Rabbit, Splunge, Gopher, Seayer, BTA, Takara, dmc, Shadowhunter, Harbourboy, Aldeth, Falstaff, Sarevok, Jaguar, Fade, Dareth, Lokken, Uytuun...and those in process and who have helped in other ways: NaeVa, Chandos and Rastor.

I was able to pay the past due parts of my electric and phone bills today -- and have made arrangements on the water and cable. My biggest hurdle will be tomorrow, when I talk to the landlord to try to get them to let me keep my lower rent for a month or so more.

None of this would have been possible, if it had not been for each of you. There is no way I can express the gratitude I feel for how you've helped me. (I found out the lights would have been turned off at 9am tomorrow and the water on the 3rd.) You are all very special people and your graciousness of heart is just staggering. Thank You.

[ August 16, 2004, 05:00: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No worries.

What a team! SP rocks. :roll:

19. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Hey, we all help out where we can. I wish it was more, but...

Anyways, good fortunes for you.

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just noticed this edit in D.R.'s post:
    Ah ha! So that explains the package I received in the mail this morning. :D

/me puts on Santa suit.

HoHoHo!
    Many of you have been very good boys and girls this year! You can expect something special in your stockings this Christmas - an autographed picture of chev in his SP thong! And for those of you who haven’t helped out, your punishment will be severe - two autographed pictures of chev in his SP thong!
    HoHoHo!

:p :D

/me takes off Santa suit.

Seriously, I know that those who are able to help have done so or will do so soon; obviously, not everybody here can afford to contribute.

Good luck, Spelly!

[ July 02, 2004, 16:37: Message edited by: Splunge ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.