1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help a bad rollplayer in need.

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by The_Reaper, Jul 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Reaper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Help!!!!!

I'm a very bad rollplayer and despite all my efforts I cannot rollplay. And on top of that my DM (Compulsive Dementia) barely gives me a chance to even try. Any suggestions about either topic would be welcome.

2. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thank you for the ongoing and continous support of my DEVELOPING DMing skills, dear brother.

Anyway, first of all, read chapter 6 in the PHB, and make your own opurtunities, or twist those that don't have opurtunities. For instance, when you guys stumbled into that wine cellar with the ogres and bugbears getting drunk, you could have tried to bargin with them or something other than just jumping in and attacking them.

And I'll TRY in my uttermost power to provide more roleplaying options, but in the end it is up to you to seize them. But this is just my advice.

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I was a powerplayer a month ago. Mostly becouse i didnt even know how to RP. I still am a bit though. But i'm on the best road to become RPer. Yay!

The best thing that helped me becoming less obsesed with "perfect max. chars" was ALFA. No doubt about that.
    See that forum just below D&D forum? The last one... Check that one out... and read Flavours of ALFA.
    The quickest way i know to become RPer, is submition of your application on ALFA. :D
    So if you have NwN, go and submit your application at ALFA homepage ...here (the left menu - applications)

There's a nother great site that helped me. Uncle Figgy's page. He's a cool guy :)
    See it yourself click it!

And be glad... at least you can play PnP, which i cannot say for myself. ;)

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Uncle Figgy's is pretty good.
    And to become a true roleplayer you must give up rollplaying

5. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My best reccommendation would be to read a whole bunch of fantasy books and even try a little bit of theater and acting. This will get you to think more like your *character* and not yourself. And don't attack everything. If you see a bunch of drunk bugbears, you could try swindling them and then selling them to a circus "getting them a place to sleep for the night" and after all, this isn't really an immoral thing because they're bugbears. If you still find that there don't seem to be many options for roleplaying situations like that, you could try taking an evil character with a different group. This would open up all sorts of situations as you'd have to decide when to attack your "allies" and when not to. And then you could possibly go off on your own and secretly ally yourself with different monsters and try to raise up an army against your "friends." -- Just don't expect anyone in that group to ever like you again. ;)

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I few ideas on how to improve your RP ability. First make a list of facts about your character without using a single number. What are his likes, dislikes, goals, habits, fears, etc.? How does he interact with ohters? What quirks does he have? What does he look like? Where did he come from? Does he have any fanily, education, friends outside the party? Why is he adventuring? How does he feel about the other party members?
    Once you have this list complete keep it on top of your character shett next time you play. When ever you go to check a stats or a roll look at the list and see if what you are doing follows the ideas you have listed. If it doesn't your shouldn't be making the roll.

On the DM question, have the DM run a adventure with no combat at all. Require the PCs to solve a problem with their skills, not their swords. Force the PCs to interact with NPCs. Have them conduct diplonicy, meet with important people and debate issues.
    For example have them hired to conduct a court case. They could collect evidence, spy on suspects, debate in the courtroom, use skills to out smart the other side and perhaps have to chane down the guilty party at the end to get their client off. You see all adventures are not hack and slash and collect as much treasure as possible. Any adventure should be atleast 3/4 RPing and 1/4 combat.

I hope with helps.

[ July 07, 2003, 19:38: Message edited by: Voltric ]

7. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well Reaper, you are so focused on gaining the next level, getting more items ETC that you make it hard for the DM and other players because that is all you care about, yourself, you don't care if other people like the game... You don’t care about anyone but your own shameless self. Stop power gaming and just enjoy the game, and unless you can do better than our DM, shut up out his DMing skills... Got it...?

8. The_Reaper Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Why, thank you for your advice, Nick the Freindley Goth, it will really help. :)

9. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Not quite the impact I was hoping for, but hey...

10. The_Reaper Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] @The Freindly Goth- I spit in your general direction. :D

11. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

Just FYI, my last post was sarcastic... Oh and your insults are pathetic... Back on topic though, what I said is true and you should improve upon it...

12. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31

Its funny how much you people fight.....

seriously though, we all an improve on stuff...I need to continue to work on my dming skills, reaper needs to work on his role-playing and break free of the sterotypicalness, I would say that Nick the friendly goth needs to be a little more original on his charcters, and other people in the group need to get out of powergaming and learn the game generally.

13. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

I was just getting to the good part...

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

For some reason, I want to be a fly on the wall and watch you guys play.

Nick ... I think the "spit in your general direction" wasn't an insult, its a Monty Python quote ... probably meant to be funny. (notice the :D )

In terms of Roleplaying ... pretend your PC is a character in a novel while talking and yourself in combat.

If I came upon a bunch of drunk ogers & bugbears ... I wouldn't charge. I like to live. Talking might come to mind ... maybe hiding, sneaking away .... but not charging.

You can have an un-original character (vanilla dwarf fighter or such) and give him a cool personality. I RP with a dwarf tank who is scared s**t-less of badgers. Just a little quirk, but it adds color.

Come up with something unique about your character. I really like drinking, I hate elves, I worship (blank) diety faithfully ... and then add that color to 75% of what you do.

My new character worships Nobanion. I had never heard of him, but he's a lion demi-god. Starting with just that idea, I now have lots of good RP food. I act like a lion while hunting, roar instead of giving a battle cry, his motto is "only the strong survive, but you survive best by being a good leader" so I bring that up.

I can't afford any D&D or FR books, so I do a Google search and can find tons of stuff on the different dieties, the races (some great stuff on wild elves out there to name one race I've played), anything ... then you have something to work with.

Hope that helps ...

15. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] beware of my dire badger, Math, it's coming to get you :p :D

16. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

"Nick ... I think the "spit in your general direction" wasn't an insult, its a Monty Python quote ... probably meant to be funny."

I know very well what it is, I was just insulting his insults in general...

17. The_Reaper Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Yes, Nick, I know you enjoy insulting me, as do the rest of the group, and I am seriously cosidering allowing the troll to eat my character or something like that.

18. Nick The Friendly Goth Gems: 5/31

I don't quite know how to say this, but most of the time you open yourself right up to insults, in other words your asking for it... But this isn't the big issue the big issue is, it is al Eric's fault...

19. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31

Indeed, eric is the cause of all our troubles....

I'm afraid what will happen when I tell him that he is just a group disbalancer and should leave...

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok you two, take your private conversation to mail or PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.