1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heart Of Winter?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Gormenghast, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Ok guys/gals and all the lucky peopele out there that have got heart of winter i would like to ask them some questions.
    1.Are the graphics better?
    2.What is the story line?
    3.Any new weapons?
    4.Any new things that can be done?
    5.What would you give it out of ten?

2. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The graphics are like the BG2 graphics so they are better than IWD.

You'll have to find out the storyline yourself, or the game isn't any fun.

There are lots of new weapons as well as some old ones you'll have seen before. You'll love the priest of Waukeen when you see his inventory of stuff to buy.

Not sure what you mean about new things to be done.

I haven't finished yet but I'll give it a 9.5/10 so far.

3. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I bought IWD and HOW at the same time (they were both sale price, with an additional $10 off if you got them both :)) and I think if you're just getting IWD, getting both is the only way to go.

However, if you've aready played IWD by itself, you may want to search for a bargin before you get HOW. The HOW area is about the length of a chapter-and-a-half from the orginal IWD.

As for new things to do, there's a number of new songs for the bard, some new spells, and the option to replace the thief's backstab with a cripiling strike which lowers ememies THAC0 when the thief attacks from behind. I think the ranger may have been tweaked too, but I can't remember. If this appeals to you it may be worth it to get IWD and play the full game again to try out all the new abilities.

As far as the story, it seems that the town of Lonelywood is having some problems with barbarians, and...

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

I have IWD and i was wandering if it would be worth getting HOW.
    but in the i decided i should get it and i should get it soon :)

6. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

get HOW now!!! it makes the whole game better

7. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] yeah i am getting it tommorow!!!!!!!!!!!
    :) :) :) :) :) :)

8. Marek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] i wouldn't get HoW if i were you. true, the graphics and gameplay have been improved to BG2 level, but that's about it. the story line added isn't worth mentioning, NPCs are really unimportant, and i don't know how they managed to make the enemies even dumber than IWD. HoW isn't a very bad game, but considering BG2 and what we've come to expect from black isle, it just isn't worth your time or money. play BG2 again if you have nothing better to do.

9. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

i have got it, :) got it for free uncle gave it to me :)

10. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

expansion dungeon is coming...IWDHOW rulez

11. I heard that the guys at Black Isle are working on a free expansion to HOW.

True/untrue?

12. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Okay, here is an excerpt from a news post I made on Mar. 29:

Steve Bokkes, Designer:

HoW Dungeon Pack: As you all may or may not know, the development of a free, downloadable dungeon pack for Heart of Winter is now under way over here at the BIS. If all goes well, it should be available sometime in early or mid May. As I mentioned, the Dungeon Pack will be free, though it will require the installation of both Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter.
    The Pack is essentially a self-contained side adventure that will offer roughly four new areas to explore, as well as 20-30 new items, and at least one new monster.

This little treat is simply the Icewind Team's way of saying thanks to all the fans that purchased, and hopefully enjoyed Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter.

13. Dauntalus Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

And I for one would like to tell them thanks for appreciating me.

14. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

don't man, if you haven't bought HoW yet then don't buy it. especially if you have high expectations in HoW. cuz HoW is much like one chapter of IWD that black isle forgot to include. HoW is way too short.

don't buy HoW man or you'll be saying f*&k|ng sh|t when you've finished the game.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] It's really good. The storyline was related and very creative. But I agree, it's way too short. Just ask your friends if you can borrow theirs when they're done ;) or burn it off a cd. ;)

16. Terrible Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well, I have to say that HoW definitely adds to IWD. I was starting the Lower Dorn area when I picked up HoW, so I exported my characters and restarted from scratch, and then put Heart of Fury mode on. FYI, my characters were sitting about level 10. Prologue and Chapter One went pretty quick, in some ways easier cause I didn't have to run to Kholdhar after every battle to heal (2 clerics with party), but without those healing spells I would be screwed. Now, I'm in Dragon's Eye and starting to rethink this Heart of Fury stuff. My guys are fighting for their lifes and having to carry 32+ quivers of arrows per level to survive, hand-to-hand combat and mage spells forget it, even with Recitation, Prayer, Courage, Hope, and Protection from Evil, I generally lose a character or two after every mass combat.

So my opinion, with the new options, expecially that ALT keys, HoW definitely adds to IWD, especially if you start from the beginning.

Just my 2 cents.

17. Finnished HOW today and must say I am truly disapointed.
    Way to short and kind of thin storyline + they stole all my gembags, scrollcases and potionbags that were all filled to the top when I was done with IWD.

On the positive side there are a couple of cool little details in there...

18. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31

Yeah i finished it a couple of days ago i was dissapointed :( but who cares i got the game for free.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.