1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Having trouble getting a USB External Hard Disk to work

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Beren, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ok, I bought a Verbatim 2tb USB 3.0 hard disk for my Acer M7720, which has USB 2.0, but 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible.

But:

1) Anytime I power on the external HDD and plug it into any USB slot, I get the Blue Screen of Death and then Windows reboots.

2) A Flash Drive or anything else with USB will work fine.

3) The Blue Screen of Death indicates that there's a problem with partmgr.sys.

4) The OS is Windows Vista 64 bit, Premium Home Edition.

Any idea what's causing this and what I can do about it?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Normally, backwards compatibility means you can run an older version device on a newer driver, not a newer version device on an older driver. E.g. I would expect a USB 3.0 hub/driver to be able to have USB 2.0 peripherals hooked up to it, but not be able to hook up USB 3.0 peripherals to a USB 2.0 hub/driver.

Did the documentation that came with the hard disk say you could hook it up to a USB 2.0 hub?

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I'm formatting it from FAT32 to NTFS with my office computer right now, which has USB 2 ports and Windows, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, my home computer does recognize that its there, but that's when the Blue Screen crash occurs, right thereafter.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I don't see any definitive answer, but it appears some people had problems with Vista SP1 Is that what you're currently running?

I've seen some claim that it's due to registry problems, but they're typically followed by adverts for registry cleaners...

5. Beren

Media:
    Maybe this is my queue to upgrade to Windows 7 then? :heh:

Well, I can get it for $100 at the University bookstore since I'm a professor.

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Isn't the conventional wisdom to never buy OS upgrades and always get the full versions and start clean?

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You can start clean even if you buy the upgrade version.

8. Beren

Media:
    Vista SP 1 it was. Works like a charm with Win 7. Thanks BTA.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah, good! Glad to be of help.

10. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

More likely it was just a damaged install of Vista.

Still, fresh install fixes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.