1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Has anyone heard about a sequel?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Woody, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Woody Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I loved this game and finished it soon after I bought it. (Lots of hours in a dark room....) Has anyone heard about Black Isle producing a sequel? Lord knows they left the door wide open with the ending(s) like that. :hmm

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There won't be a sequel, the original didn't sell enough to warrant one. Check some older posts in this forum, we've discussed the reasons before.

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

And check the old posts in the creaticity surge forum for our own attempts to draw a sequel out of the open ended conclusion.

4. NamelessOne Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Methinks this topic should be bumped up, what with it being a regular question on the board.

Suffice to say that whilst the vast majority of the gaming public are in my view 'scared' of an RPG, or any other genre of game which dares to be different (talking skulls, self-mutilating nameless protagonists etc.), developers won't be allowed to publish stuff which isn't going to sell. I guess to avoid being slanderous I should add 'in my opinion' before this, but Interplay are slightly notorious in gaming circles for not being ones for backing critically acclaimed games which don't sell. They barely bothered advertising the superlative FreeSpace 2 for example, hence it didn't sell, and therefore there's little chance of there being a sequel. Playing Devils Advocate for a moment I guess it's fair enough for Interplay not to want to publish anything that isn't going to sell well, after all there job is to make a profit at the end of the day, and the software industry is notoriously difficult to make money from. Perhaps therefore the blame lies with those gamers that would prefer to be playing the tired old orcs and dragon bashing games then experinmenting with anything new. Personally I think it's got something to do with the way we are brought up, the things we read, etc. but this missing link between the consumer and more creative works is really worrying. Lets hope that the ingenuity of the developers is allowed to continue to sporadically break through in the future, instead of us all being subjected to continual redevelopments of the same old formulas. Perhaps the fact that Fallout games are still being released is cause for hope.

On a final note have you noticed that whilst PS:T received relatively warm reviews on being released, as of late it seems to be fashionable amonst the magazines to hail it from the rooftops. Is this some attempt to make them more appealing to followers of 'cult' titles?

Again PLEASE bump this subject once read so as to keep it readable to new viewers. It makes me sad to be reminded there won't be another jaunt around the planes with tieflings and githzerai. Boohoo :(

5. Majjin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] (bumping, lol)

I'm sure if we'd like to go ahead and take the engine (with their permission of course..) and do it like a Hell Fire type deal, I'm sure we can make a expansion set of some sort, since someone here must have the knowledge to do it with help on the story line.

6. NamelessOne Gems: 2/31

(BUMP)

Perhaps if that's not possible maybe a version using the BG2 engine, I assume it's easier to code into.

[Bumping is REALLY frowned upon here. While it's common practice on 95% of the lame boards out there, we won't tolerate it, even if it is for a good reason. You can bump your way up to heaven and it still won't produce a sequel, so don't.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 12, 2001).]

7. total Guest

Well in my country PT was greeted warmly and got high scores for inovation, but was soon forgoten, my opinion it wasn't timed right. It was long time ago, but it came along with BG1 and some other RPG and non RPG titles. I too played it almost year and half with stops, but finished it.

8. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Although what I like the most about PS:T was the great story and writing, I'd be happy just to spend some more time in the Planescape setting. That's why I'm trying to get involved with folks who are planning Neverwinter Nights Planescape mods, like http://www.city-of-doors.net/

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Mixing Planescape:Torment with NWN?

Blasphemy!!!

[EDIT]
    Anyway, nice site you have there, I wish for your project only success.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited January 14, 2002).]

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Kinda weird, hoping to do Planescape mods with NWN... Especially since no setting but FR is supported in the game. You won't have anything to build a PS module from. And the differences from FR are what makes PS so special, after all...

11. NamelessOne Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Oooops! Sorry Tal. I had no idea that bumping was outlawed (It's not on the FAQ rules page as far as I can remember). Consider myself humbled. As for NWN mods than that sounds great, far better than nothing. I'm sure a few added textures or whatever would go someway to creating a more PS-esque environment.

[There's no rule against it because in more than a year of running these boards, it hasn't come up more than 5 times. For some reason, our members get the idea that this is not something that is done around here.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 15, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.