1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hardest possible solo

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Westhardus, Mar 8, 2006.

1. wanderon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Perhaps a solo thief would be the most difficult especially early on with no magic and lower thac0 and hps for the battles they must complete.

I think a bard might be difficult too for the same reasons for at least the first 10 levels when they don't have much magic. Of course they could rest more often but even so I think they would be difficult to get started.

2. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

My opinion is that solo thief is easier, because he can hide in shadows and avoid a lot of fights, he can kill strong enemies with backstab, can steal ring of free action and necklase of missiles(rechargable item) in Kuldahar. So he can use magic early.

Bard can steal ring and necklase, and get magic in time because he will advance quickly in levels. Once he will get scroll of invisibility, no problems.And stoneskin, mirror image, fireball and other good spells. Bard will be powerhouse fast enough.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Sure a Thief can avoid enemies, but s/he won't get any XP that way.
    I was really annoyed when I found out that my Halfling Thief couldn't use the Messenger of Seth (I had in mind the Tuigan's bow in BG2...).
    It's a nice run, I'd keep some acid arrows for the big bad boss. ;)

4. wanderon Gems: 4/31

I too think that perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on the idea of sneaking past fights as a winning tactic and perhaps also on the idea of backstabbing strong foes - unless of course you are talking about contant reloading until you succeed - the biggest problem I see with a thief or bard is their low thac0 and low hit points and backstab ONLY works for the thief when he hits... ;)

Now once you get past level 10 or so these classes may be much more powerful and less likely to die but I think getting to level 10ish is going to be a real struggle (much more so than getting a warrior type to those levels I think)

As for stealing these rechargeable items - if you are avoiding as many battles as possible where will you get the cash to recharge them... ;)

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Thief is easier even without avoiding battles.
    You can hide in shadows before you enter a cave, enter, sneak behind an enemy, backstab, run out, hide again, repeat until the area is cleared...

A bard is even easier. You get the chromatic orb and sleep spells before leaving Easthaven and can use hit and run tactics with a composite long bow against nearly all enemies, especially in the VoS.
    With your pickpocket skills you can easily afford to buy the bardic horn and recharge the necklace of missiles.
    Once you have reached 110,000 XP you can start HoW, get powerful spells and reach level 40 easily.

6. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

Big red demon is dead! My hero used only healing potions in final battle. Weapon was Aihonens sword. His level was 22.

Not all fights I avoid. Only sometimes.There are no problems to kill every single enemy in game. But it is long and boring when you are soloing. And I take expensive items from crates and sell later, so I have money enough for what I want.

Bard can use mostly magic to kill enemies, scout area while invisible and throw fireballs after. And he has a lot of defensive spells at his disposal. In my opinion only problem for thief is low AC.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Gratulations !
    Did you ignore the iron golems in the final battle or did you take them out ?
    Sounds as if your fighter didn't enter HoW. I doubt that he would be able to kill all monsters there.

8. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

Yes, I ignored iron golems, because they did not turn hostile. Probably bug. But I think couple more healing potions and no problems. Next time if I will go solo, then with M/C. Yes, my fighter didn't enter HoW, I wanted to try this only in original campaign.

Just started HoW with my old 6 character party - F/T, F/M, Druid, Mage, Cleric and Bard. Really powerfull team. But which monsters in HoW are to tough for lone fighter with AC - 16 and with potions of magic blocking and healing potions???

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

The Burial Isle battles and the Ice Golem Sentries in Gloomfrost Cave are far more difficult than any battle in the original IwD game.
    You also don't have unlimited potions.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Congratulations!

Hope to hear from HoW and more too!

11. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

If I will go solo HoW, this will be with M/C of C/T. And this is no more hardest possible solo. :)
    Maybe I will try to start HoW with level 1 M/C without equipment, use only items which I will get obtain in my journey.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Playing HoW with your fighter who finished IwD would probably be harder than with a newly created C/M or C/T.

A new cleric/mage sounds intresting since you won't be able to cast many standard mage spells and will be forced to rely on the few spells you get in Lonelywood or on Burial Isle instead of using standard mage tactics.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.