1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hardest Basic monster

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Leethal, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Leethal Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What basic monster (or enemy) seems to give you the most grief? I still find vampires annoying if i dont have resist level drain.....
    Im intrested in what challenges u

2. Palpatine- Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] hard to say, but i think i would vote on, uhm... cant remember the monsters name, but, its a golem, big metallic... :)

um, maybe its not a regular enemy, i dont know... :T

3. MD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] You mean Adamantine golem does you???
    I find The Shadow dragon or firkrag.....
    Firkrag and his damned breathweapon :flaming:

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'd have to go with MindFlayers... Preferably mixed with some UmberHulks, and me out of pots of clarity. :)

5. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Mind Flayers are bad but I like Gauths even less. Their damned machine-gun fast unlimited Cause Serious Wounds spells combined with the fact that you normally run into them in packs of four or so make them an incredibly annoying foe.

6. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

BEHOLDERS!!! - I think they are the "hardest to resist".

1.) You can easily whack mind flayers when you have chaotic commands memorized.

2.) Level drain is not that big problem when you have negative plane protection or restoration memorized. Also there are few sfuff that protects against level drain.
    So vampires ain't a big deal after all.

...but when fighting beholders(not gauths!!) there is no real protection against their gaze. O.K. there's the cloak of mirroring and the Shield of Balduran(Bonus CD only), but these are only two items, and your party cannot be fully protected. Early in the game I had very mutch problem with these pests. Also Elder Orbs are a real pain in the arse with their imprisonment spells.

7. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

All depends on level, and items, and class..

Mind flawers are easy with high AC and chaotic commands, beholders are easy with reflecting items and spell imunity for elder orbs. Vamps are easy to slay with undead hunter or with turn undead..

The only enemies which I nearly always need a reload for are dragons

8. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Kobolds! When their bodies are so many, it gets harder to swing my halberd to kill more ;) :p :p :p

9. Any sort of undead.

Mummy's disease, Ghast's hold, Shadow's ability drain, Vampire's level drain . . . eekkkk!!

Those annoying Hobgoblin Shamans that hold you.

Kobold Shamans. My level 16 or so Pally got held by one, was shot to death by Commandos.

10. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

11. The DMage Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I personally found liches as one of those monsters where everything seems to be falling apart and then suddenly, the lich just seems to die. In fact, that's what seems to always happen againest most high-level mages in general for me. I'll agree with those who said Mindflayers, as if your suprised by them, rest assured to soon see a 2-3 hit KO.

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

That's the deal with mages and liches, once you can start damaging them, they don't last long. But then you gotta love when they have a contigency that they throw up at the end and the cycle repeats :p.

Hardest basic enemy is definately Beholders and Gauths w/out the infamous anti-beholder items.

13. Demonater351 Guest

The Iron Golem in De'Arnise Keep irritated me quite a bit, as the only +3 weapon I possessed at the time was the Flail of the Ages.

14. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Given not using cheesy tactics, I vote beholders and dragons.

15. Naer Dhal Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Having read all posts here, I wouldnt excactly say Mindflayers, Dragons, Vampires, Beholders and Liches go under the category of "basic" monsters. Anyways my vote is for the Orc Shamans, Orcs and Kobolds because of their poison/fire arrows and hold spells

16. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I'm thinking Leethal meant "basic" by a non-unique enemy. So when MD voted for the Shadow Dragon and Firkraag he/she missed the point. They aren't basic, there's only one Shadow Dragon and one Firkraag. But there's plenty of Vampires, Gauths, Beholders, Mind Flayers (not fryers, not fayers, not flawers ;)), and Liches.

17. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hi,

As someone else said, very dependent on level, equipment and party.

With the right tactics and magical protections any basic monster can be taken down very quickly.

Spell turning for beholders, gauths, plus immunity abjuration for elder orbs, plane protection or restoration for vamps, chaotic commands for flayers and hulks.

My personal "bugbear" is liches though. If you fail to kill them quickly, they get off that time stop and then things can get tricky.

I agree though that the tricky situation can rapidly turn in your favour with mages and liches due to their low hitpoints.

The other type I can have some difficulty with is massed drow due to their individual magic resistance.

Cheers,

WittyNewt

18. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I´m always having great problems with them Illithids, no matter what tactics I use. Outcome of such a battle is death 2 out off 3 :(

19. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi Asmodeus,

Try this, pick your two best fighters and use improved haste and chaotic commands on them and make sure they have at least a -5 AC, strength enhancements help too.

Advance them toward the Illithids in question and keep the rest of your party back.

Let the Illithids come to you and engage them in a doorway if possible so you don't have to fight them all at once. As soon they have fired off their mind blast bring up the rest of the party for missile/spell support

With improved haste you should be able to kill them pretty quickly, double attacks per round.

Use a potion of genius/mind focussing to boost each fighters int score so that they can take the odd hit before dying.

If you don't have chaotic commands, use potions of clarity, brine potions, or greenstone amulet.

Another tactic is to use a good thief with a powerful backstab, together with potions of invisibility and boot of speed, hit and run tactic.

Another good tactis is to use summoned creatures, skeletons (lvl 15 or higher character summon skeleton warriors) or invisible stalkers are immune to the Illithid attacks.

Quite often the Illithid have hulk muscle in support. The same tactics apply except that the hulks can kill the summoned creatues quite quickly so they might need help.

Finally, Illithid have no way to deal with invisible creatures and can't target them with their mind blast attack, so improved invis etc is very useful as well as long as they aren't able to target someone next to the invis person since mind blast has an area of effect!

Good Luck.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

20. jesper898 Guest

liches, dragons, mind flayers, umberhulks, beholders, vampires, and everything that can attack me:D
    i cant even complete any quests athkatla with out cheating because i gets killed badly:( its quite frustrating

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.