1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Happy Slapping

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sarevok•, May 14, 2005.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG]
    Anyone witnessed a happy slap or seen one of these vids? Apparently, this is happening a lot in the UK but I haven't seen or heard anything yet.

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sounds a lot like the fad after the Tango ad's a few years back.

You KNOW when you've been Tango'd thing.

Not seen nor heard about this yet, but I've been away for a couple of weeks.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Once contact is made....

My defense reflex kicks in pretty quick -- and there's quite a few people out there with the same reflex. Some teenagers are going to get the living hell beat out of them.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I don't think your defence reflexes will do you much good when you have 3 or 4 chavs around you with knives.

5. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

No Kancho sense then?

Slappy sense, anyone?

And, I remember Tangoing. It's a kiss now, not a slap though.

And I've never heard of this fad, and I'm in Britain, but I'll admit freely thats Chavs are all muppets.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Anyone who touches you against your will without an express permission under law or a very good excuse commits at least a misdemeanor. Crack down on the idiots.

And kissing against will or without asking is sexual harassment and abuse unless there is mistaken belief of consent (boyfriend, husband, this kind of thing). Unless it's a girlfriend, guys should always ask first. And in doubt, always ask. Even if it's already your gf. Heck, even if wife, if there's doubt.

Happy slapping is on which part of the body? If it's on the butt and done by someone of the opposite gender, it's sexual harassment, as well.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

It is normally a hard punch into the head or a slap with a rolled up magazine/newspaper.

Haha, I remember that well, best tv ad ever! Anyway, they are blaming dirty sanchez/jackass

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Aaah, then assault + insult.

9. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Some of the movies are here. Contains violence.

link

[Edit] File no longer hosted on the above link

The natural reaction is to feel angry, especially after seeing a woman getting hit.

The problem is that if you are in that situation and you do react aggressively and attack the criminals then you become a criminal that attacked a fleeing child on camera. You will have at least a weeks worth of hassle with the parents and authorities (and now of course, possible internet infamy) even if you were acting in self defence.

Who needs that? People who use public transport are generally not in a position to afford the time off work needed to sort a mess like that out. The police will not want to know either as common assault only results in a small fine and a warning.

The workman on the bus who ran away actually did the correct thing for a person in his position.

People are asking why this is happening now and why in England. If a child hits an adult it is assault. If an adult hits a child it is child abuse, even if the child is taller, heavier and stonger than the adult.

This makes violent sadistic children the new ' Untouchables' . Children try to define boundaries by crossing them and examining the consequences. For the majority of children common assault or 'happy slapping' will have no consequences so some will keep on pushing to find where the boundary actually is.

Three teenagers in England are believed to have 'allegedly' kicked a pensioner to death on his doorstep last Thursday. He was probably standing up for himself. As I said above that was probably a mistake.

British law says that victims of assault must act like cowards to stay within the law. It also provides no incentives whatsoever to even attempt to seek justice.

Even John Prescott the British politician who punched an assailant that had hit him at point blank range with an egg had to give statements to the police as part of the four month investigation into whether Prescott should be prosecuted or not. o0

'Happy slapping' assaults appear to mainly be 'many against one' ambushes. I have walked away from three potential ambushes in the last ten years (there is nothing truly new under the Sun) and it is a hard thing to do, especially when the trap is baited by someone that you could possibly take in a one-on-one fight.

I dunno. I dunno. I dunno. I have a temper. I never hit first but once struck anything is possible. Run to safety is the best advice. I only wish I was sure I would take it myself (rather than try and take their camera phone to Valhalla with me).

[ May 30, 2005, 05:02: Message edited by: Ahrontil ]

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I think this is AoDA material, so I'm moving it there.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. The world has gone nuts.

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Erh well it was not intended for the AoDA but so be it! I will leave and let the intelligent people chat about it!

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

heheh I thought N.Ireland was the 'uncivillized' part of the UK, but no 'Happy Slapping' here... well for the moment.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This just supports my "grand-pa-ish" assertion that people -- kids in particular -- today have WAY too much time on their hands and far too much money to spend on stupidity. We need to stop telling these little bast***s about their rights and start forcing them to live up to their responsibilities.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Here, here, Lord Keldin Depaara!!

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Agreed. When i was their age.l... err, actually, I think I am still technically in the same age group, but lets just say that I still think they're acting like irresponsible idiots *shakes head*

Kids today....

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

They aren't acting like irresponsible idiots, they are irresponsible idiots. Still, they are not solely to blame for the way they (chavs) behave.

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

No, but it's a good place to start - make the li'l b*****ds realise that they are responsible for their own actions; just taking it out on the parents will make them think that they can get away with making others pay for their idiocy. These kids have to realise that they will face the consequences of their wrongdoings, or they'll keep pushing the envelope.

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    See, this is why concealead weapon permits are good. :p

20. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

not if you are taken by surprise...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.