1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hannibal

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by fastfritz, Apr 6, 2013.

1. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Saw the first episode of Hannibal and at first was confused but as the story developed started to clarify. The physco talk seemed a bit over done. I'll watch the next show before I decide what I think. What about your thoughts?:confused:

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought it was good. I've always like Laurence Fishburne, but the yelling in the bathroom was a bit much; hopefully we won't see much of that in the future.

I liked how Dr. Lecter said he would help Will with the killer and did so by showing him the opposite by a "similar" killing.

And did he feed Will sausage made from that person's lungs? I wasn't sure, but it seemed so. :lol:

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Please tell me 'Will' is not Will Graham from Red Dragon/Manhunter ... doing exciting new things in a world that didn't exist before Hannibal Lector became popular. :bad:

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The name is Will Graham, yes, but I've never read the books.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Oh god no. :(

There are movies of the same name for each if you want to see what the real Will Graham did back in the day without reading the books. 'Red Dragon' is named after the book (first in the series by Thomas Harris that featured Lector) and came out in the 2000s I believe. It stars Edward Norton as Graham and Anthony Hopkins reprising his role as Lector.

'Manhunter' is also based on the book and came out in the 80s, before Silence of the Lambs. It stars William Peterson (CSI) as Graham and Brian Cox as Lector. I much preferred Cox's performance over Hopkins' - very cold, less campy, and more scary in a real-world way as opposed to horror. Plus, Cox's Lector was a f*cking *sshole compared to Hopkins' more stereotypical horror villain. All IMHO of course. :)

It should be noted that Lector's role in Red Dragon the book was entirely as a second tier support character, which is reflected in Manhunter. They greatly expanded the role in the Red Dragon film in order to feature the Hopkins/Lector celebrity. Hannibal Lector was actually not that big a deal in the beginning, as envisioned by Thomas Harris.

Anyway, Will Graham's history with Lector in Red Dragon was that he was the guy who caught him originally. From memory it was nothing more than Graham talking to Lector about a patient of his who was a suspect in some murders and then suddenly having a Eureka! moment and figuring out it was Lector. Lector injured him badly and caused severe psychological trauma though before he was apprehended. Graham then went to see him in jail a couple times to consult about 'The Tooth Fairy' serial killer, but what he was really doing, to his own detriment, was trying to sort of get into Lector's skin in order to get closer to the psychotic mindset of the Tooth Fairy - something he was already uncomfortably familiar with. Pretty powerful stuff actually, and it makes Lector's later theatrics (Hannibal the movie) look silly in comparison.

So I'm pretty sure that any shenanigans you're seeing between Graham and Lector in this show are ad-hoc. LOL, I didn't mean to write that much. :D

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I found it a bit odd. Strangely paced and weird. I hope one or two things get explained in the next one or I'll probably shelf it.

BTW, whats the deal with US shows constantly casting British actors in the main parts?

BTW2 - Gaear is right, by far the best representation of Lector was by Brian Cox in Manhunter.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen so far. Mads Mikkelson is a fine actor, and the rest of the cast is solid. For those who haven't seen it, it is prequel material to Red Dragon. At the time this is set, Lector is a respected consultant to the FBI, and Will has a decent, developing relationship with him as they strive to catch a variety of killers. It's leading up to Will's eventual identification of Hannibal as a killer, but how many seasons they plan to milk this prequel material for is open to debate. They'd be foolish to do it for more than 2 seasons tops, IMHO, but stranger things have happened.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.