1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Guy playing as female protagonist

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by fuoco, Aug 1, 2001.

1. fuoco Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Do any of you male gamers actually enjoy playing SoA as a female proagonist? I think it'll be a bit on the boring side because the only romantic possibility is Anomen. Furthermore i get the jitters when i think about having to flirt with him continuously and hear his voice etc. it is like so gay.

On the other hand, it occured to me this might be a way for the game to cater for the gay people out there. What do you think? A female kensai-mage or half-orc babarian going out with dashing anomen?

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I've played BG1 with a female protagonist and plan to do BG2 with one too. But I don't plan on having her romance with Anomen.
    I'm sure the girls have played with a male protagonist as well as a female, so what's so different about guys playing a female protagonist? Makes me want to go out and play a female half-orc ;)

Oh yeah and there is much more variety in custom female portraits floating around than custom male portraits. The problem is several custom guy pics look gay and several custom pics for the ladies are trashy. But there are some good ones of both out there, just have to search.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited August 01, 2001).]

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

fuoco,

homophobic. look it up.

4. corval Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

lol, I dont think they set out to cater to the gay community.

5. Seid Gems: 5/31

I never play as female protagonist. I want to have romances and not with Anomen.

6. fuoco Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] jack funk,

perhaps i am a little,
    but i don't hate the gay community :)

i was just quite amused when it occured to me that this fab game might provide for different groups of consumer in the market.

Aside from the market strategy stand point, perhaps it had to more do with name that made me start thinking about the gay issue: anal-man. apologies on my part, web-masters i do realize that they are many young and impresionistic readers of the forum, like dragon903 for example, but this is such an interesting issue that i couldn't resist.

7. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Impressionistic? Fuoco, I can't seem to find this in my spell checker :) Sorry, anyway...playing a female protagonist is just another role, although I do understand the "problem" of not being able to really identify with that role that many male players must feel. I have a difficult time with that myself, but I certainly have tried female roles in RPGs including BG, EQ, MM and others....Don't try to be a Freudian psychologist or anything...just have fun.

As the Bishop of Barton Wells so eloquently stated...."You see Black Adder, I really am a colossal pervert. I'll do anything to anything."

8. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm a woman, and I'm currently playing two games simultaneously, both in chapter 3. In the first game I'm a female, romancing Anomen and working for the shadow thieves. In the second game I'm a man, romancing Viconia and working for Bodhi. I do this to experience more of the quests than I would with only one protagonist. I'm certainly not lesbian, and have no interest in Viconia whatsoever personally, but I have no problem with doing the romance with her because I want to see what quests that'll get me. I chose Viconia because I just couldn't stand Jaheiras everlasting talk about her balance, (and the harper quests were so boring, besides I think she was bossing me around too much), and Aerie was just too boring and childish. You guys should try playing with a female character and doing the Anomen romance too, just for the story and the fun of it... there are lots of different answers and reactions from NPCs you talk to, depending on your sex...

I found it funny to see the differences, since I'm talking to the same people with both my man and my woman character. Take the prostitutes as examples: When you're a man, everything is straight forward. As a woman, when I entered the back of the Copper Coronet, I was offered a male prostitute (luckily) ... and Anomen protesting wildly (LOL) ... so I sent him along to buy a prostitute for himself, but all he would answer was "No I'm not interested" .. LOL
    And when talking to harlots in the streets, they keep turning me down when I'm a woman, saying I'm walking on the wrong side of the street for the type of company I'm looking for.... LOL
    While the guy in the Copper Coronet comes on really strong until I finally say yes... then he panics and runs away with a silly excuse.... Why don't you guys try it too, just for the fun of it? It has nothing to do with being gay or not... it's just for making the most out of the game...

9. Gwyddyon Gems: 3/31

I just finished the Druidhome Trilogy about an hour ago, so I'm planning on playing my next game as a female druid, although I won't go through the Anomen romance because he's too far from the Balance ;) I'd also considered a female palading going through the romance. I figure if I'm going to try all the classes anyway, why not do some as a female? After all, after one of two times through, the romances with the women get old since you know what will happen...

10. Marmeille Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm a man and I'm currently playing a female bard, who's in romance with Anomen (and my god! is he lame or what?).
    Like Blue said it's really fun to go around as a female and have different dialogues with a lot of NPCs, although the 3 romances available to male character are better IMHO than the one with sissy and arrogant Anomen (anal-man... LOL Fuoco, I'm still giggling over this one).

11. garathorn Gems: 5/31

try firecam down before you goto the unseing eye

12. fuoco Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Subra,

i actually meant to type impressionable, thanks for pointing out. geez. but curiously, when i checked up dictionary.com these 2 words are actually synonyms. :)
    o yeah i really liked the black adder series, erm actually anything with atkinson in it! very funny quote you have there by the way :p

13. Trunculo Gems: 5/31

The only time I atempted a female character was when I was experimenting with a shapeshifter. Of course, I had to name her after my wife - seemed appropriate. As to romancing Anomen - hey, that's my wife we're talking about! :)

14. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Would be cool to have a siren as a class or race...

Lay your bones on the alabaster stones and be everloving baby.

15. Le*Mat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hmmm, this is all aounding horribly like Anomen is the only offer a girl's gonna get in BGII.....that's not the case, is it? How bloomin' depressing!
    Don't I even get a chance with Valygar? Now HE looks a bit of alright (albeit in a slightly Leroy-Johnson-from-'Fame' kind of way.)I've only had Anomen in my party for about ten minutes and he's already driving me mad - and definitely NOT with lust!(He IS actually Commander Riker from Star Trek: The Next Generation, isn't he?)

16. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I can't decide if Riker's more annoying to be honest, for some reason i want to put a dagger in Anomans skull. I think Velvet the fighter thief is gonna have to just be single.
    In answer to the thread, hey it's roleplaying, you can be whoever you want to be. I've had female characters in pen and paper RPG's before, and my players use characters that they have an idea for, male or female.

17. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Bhaal's spawn is a woman, very :( i think no man will have a lust on her :D

[This message has been edited by Laksol (edited August 04, 2001).]

18. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, Marmeile, you're right, Anomen is absolutely lame for a romance. Who ever wrote his lines?? Some guy thinking all we girls want is a knight in shining armour boasting unstoppable about all his former deeds and how wonderful he is and how important he'll become? Boasting is NOT the right way to attract a girl.... ;) If I'd met him in real life I wouldn't have touched him with an ice pick ... on the other hand, he's very typical for men... there are hundreds of thousands of Anomens out there... (sadly true....) ;)

How about someone with some spunk? Which male NPC's would you have preferred for a romance instead? Minsc? Keldorn? or Korgan? :p

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Are you sure you'd want to romance Korgan? After all, i'm sure the first gift you'd get would be necklace of the ears of your fallen foes ;). Just think what the engagement ring would br like!

20. Marmeille Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Now, a romance with Minsc would have been hilarious, just think about the jealousy issue with Boo... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.