1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gunning Down Romance

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Eze, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yeah, I know, I am a pathetic Savage Garden fan. Deira infected me.

Anyways, if you had the chance to take away all love in the world and make it so, that nobody never knew, would you do it? And that applies to all kinds of love.

[ February 12, 2003, 13:43: Message edited by: Eze ]

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    If I took it away without anybody knowing it, would it matter?? At least we lost hate as well then

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Shouldn't be too hard to guess my answer... an emphatic NO!

4. Eze Gems: 24/31

No, we wouldn't lose hate. Hate and love are at the same end of the sceptrum. Total opposite is apathy.

5. Morgoth

Media:
    But without love, how can you define hate??

6. Eze Gems: 24/31

Without love, there is still respect. You can define hate as lack of respect. Or something like that.

7. Morgoth

Media:
    Nope, hate is not the opposite of respect

[ February 12, 2003, 21:09: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What beautiful things would life have to offer without love? If apathy ruled the day, we wouldn't care it was so. Now we know the brilliance of love, we wouldn't want to miss it.
    (Speak for yourself, MoN)

When our love ends, we musn't complain that it brought us destruction, since it is the lack of love then that makes you feel horrible.

Love hurts? Love scars? Love wounds in your heart? Bullocks!
    Lack hurts. Lack wounds in your heart.
    Love caresses. Love heals your heart.
    Though the scar shows you had a nice time with love.

(You still get it?)

9. Eze Gems: 24/31

Morgoth:Well, it's not the opposite of respect, but it could be measured with something else, except love.

MoN:Sorry, as a little [insert a very mean word here], I would even say yes. And love does scar. Love? No thanks, I'd like to have my heart in one piece, when I die.

[ February 12, 2003, 21:17: Message edited by: Eze ]

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Gunning Down Romance - Savage Garden (Affirmation
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Love and other moments are just chemical reactions in your brain
    In your brain
    And feelings of aggression are the absense of the love drug in your veins
    your veins
    Love come quickly
    Because I feel my self-esteem is caving in
    It's on the brink
    Love come quickly
    Because I don't think I can keep this monster in
    It's in my skin

Love are other sociably acceptable emotions are morphine
    They're morphine
    Cleverly concealing primal urges often felt but rarely seen.
    Love I beg you
    Lift me up into that privelaged point of view
    The world of two
    Love don't leave me
    Because I console myself that hallmark cards are true
    i really do
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm gunning down romance
    It never did a thing for me
    But heartache and misery
    Ain't nothing but a tragedy
    I'm gunning down romance
    It never did a thing for me
    But heartache and misery
    Ain't nothing but a tragedy

Love don't leave me

Take these broken wings
    I'm gonna take these broken wings
    And learn to fly
    And learn to fly away
    And learn to fly away

I'm gunning down romance.

I have never fallen in love (I take it computers are excluded) but without it what would family be? Friends? Treasured possessions.

All are destroyed in the end, memories fade, people die, times move on.

Does love matter? Some will think it does - others that it does not. I think it does matter, without love from my mother I would be long gone. I need someone who understands me, I need my family and friends because without them I would go insane, and probably kill my self - through suicide or accident.

The only reason I am still arguably sane is because of my mother. because she loves me.

11. Morgoth

Media:
    But eze, how can respect excist without love??

12. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I dunno, I think that you can have respect without love. I believe that respect mostly stems from admiration, because you see something in that person that you like and wish that you had yourself. To think that respect and love are in the same family is a bit much because love is such an intense feeling, you know. It can blind you to everything else, but with respect, you don't love that person, you could just like what they say or do, etc., etc.

But to answer the question, no, I wouldn't take love away. In its purest form, I do believe that love is more powerful then gravity. Unfortunately, people do get hurt, and it's most probably caused by some immature invididual who doesn't realize or understand what love, or the lack of it, can do to a person. And that's my 2 cents.

13. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You can respect someone out of fear as well. Respect is simply a matter of recognizing another person, it doesn't have to be recognizing them in a good way. I can respect my elders and still get flustered when they drive too slowly on the roads.

Would I? No, because I'm sittin' pretty as far as love goes, and I wouldn't know what to do without it.

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Respect always has something to do with fear. To "respect", is to recognize some sort of prowess in another person. This prowess is automatically reflected to how others, and you yourself, fare in it. A respected person, essentially means a person who has accomplished something material or otherwise, and potentially poses a threat to you. Someone who can fare without you, and possibly even act against you should he need to.

My most common problem is that I do not invoke respect automatically. I need to work for it. It's because I do not feel I have to make other people aware of my opinions when there is nothing to be accomplished by doing so. If someone wishes to whine about the ways of the world, I'm silent and listen to them, or nonchalantly agree. Only if there really is a need to intervene, will I do so. I try to agree and please as many people as I can because I think it's stupid to be put on useless confrontations and quarrels all the time. Yet because of this, people often take me as a "yes man" who can be pushed around to any extent. Then they get negatively surprised when they cross the border and actually awaken the need for defensive actions in me.

I've learned that my work, studies, free-time and all go much better when I act like other people do. I pretend to disagree even if I don't, and I bring up matters that are of no relevance simply to seem normal. I threaten people subtly because they do it to me, once again for no reason. And every now and then I whine about things that I don't care about because it makes people think that I do, and therefore effectively making clear that I do not wished to be stepped on. All this because I, as a person who doesn't wish to subjugate other people, must exist with other people who constantly test and battle each other ever so subtly when trying to reach for a better position in the hierarchy of personal respect and atmosphere of power. As rediculous as it is, I cannot let a comment like "get out of my face idiot" slide without caring about it, because the others will get a picture that I'm a mentally weak individual who can be used for their own advantage. Adults are like children, at least the ones I know. All ranting left aside, I've studied the concept of "respect" to know pretty much what I'm talking about. The years ago I learned to get my respect, I felt it was frustrating to act like an "evil" idiot just because of the simplicity of other people. Nowadays I can actually enjoy it, even as dumb and useless as it still feels.

15. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

YES...

Love is annoying. It rarely works, and before you can reach it, it is full of heartbreaks. I may be playing devil's advocate, but this is what I've learned, in my experiences. Forasdathar's tirade rings true; respect is sometimes very gilded and acts like a facade. I agree that love is essential to the human world - but only in our time. However, if we were to never know it, we would be better off. People would care less about what others said about them and we wouldn't be obssessed with the way we talk or look in front of others. Simply put, "Ignorace is bliss, ignorance of love is better."

But then again, that wouldn't make us human anymore...

[ February 15, 2003, 09:55: Message edited by: Farthy ]

16. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

*A dark figure jumps out of the tree he had been lurking in, over the little bench where a guy and girl are kissing. He lands behind them, softly on the grass. They don't notice the stealthy hunter who makes himself as small as possible on the ground behind their bench. He jumps over them and the bench with a salto, and in mid air he draws two glocks with silencers. The lovers break free from their 'bonds of love' and look at the dark figure gazing at them from midair. Seconds seem to pass like hours. As he lands he shoots them both, cleanly between the eyes. He turns around and hums the tune to 'Love is in the air' while walking away quietly back into the shades.*

That was the mental picture I got from reading the thread title ;)

And no, I wouldn't. The world is already filled with enough hatred, let's let love run free when possible.

[ February 15, 2003, 10:47: Message edited by: Faragon ]

17. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

I wouldn't mind having that scenario happen to some people! :evil: :evil: :eek: :eek:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.