1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Guilt Following Entertainment Purchases

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by War Nerve, Apr 26, 2007.

1. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

After picking up that new HD TV, state-of-the-art graphics card, or even a $20 DVD, do you ever feel guilty afterwards?

While I understand that it's important to treat yourself now and again, I nearly always feel a stab of guilt after making a purchase on material goods made purely for entertainment, especially when that money could be used elsewhere to benefit someone. In the last couple of years, the following mindset has haunted me: "People right now are starving, and I'm dropping $50 on Oblivion - A sum which could probably keep someone from being hungry for half a year." (no jokes about whether or not I should feel guilty solely for buying Oblivion, please! :D )

If not even for charitable purposes, perhaps that money could be put into savings, or invested. Maybe it could be set aside for an important purchase like a house. In any event, it could be used better in any way other than what I'm spending it on now: Electronic toys.

I suppose this mentality helps to keep things in perspective and prevents me from taking many things for granted, if nothing else. Does anyone else feel this way?

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't. I went to University and obtained a professional designation in order to have a high standard of living so as far as I am concerned I have earned whatever luxuries I decide to buy. I give to charities, I save for retirement, and I spend what I consider to be a reasonable amount on luxuries. I am not about to go out and blow all my money on junk I don't need but I am not going to feel bad about spending a reasonable amount. After all, what is the point of living if you are not going to be having fun?

3. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just ask yourself this question: Isn't there anything better I could be doing with my time?

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Meh, I guess I do - but it's more a product of growing up lower-middle class than anything else.

In my family, you didn't buy a new set of skis and ski boots when winter hit if your older brother's ski boots from when he was your age (in my case, the 70's) would work just fine. Never mind that I was the only kid on the slopes who look like he just stepped off the bus from hand-me-down town. Same thing went for video games, school clothes, my first car, etc.

Now I'm college educated and have an excellent job (for my field) and can afford nice things, and I suppose I take the same approach as JSBB. That is to say, I spend a reasonable amount, I've earned it, and I never go overboard and stick within my means. That said, whenever I buy something - a game, DVD, or something more substantial like a graphics card - I do go through a short funny-gut feeling period where my natural insticts are telling me I my old graphics card will do just fine. But that usually passes once the GPU comes in the mail, I install it, and my old games look like buttah on full settings. :D

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have a real difficult time spending money on something that is only for me. If I can justify it's for Mrs Bruno or T3 then I have no associated guilt.

This is why, even though I have a fairly significant income, I still only buy game when they are severely discounted.

6. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

Once your basic survival needs are met, time becomes FAR more valuable than money. Your guilt is due to the knowledge that you are actively participating in pissing your life away. Go gaming!

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I don't. My money comes from a student loan. I have to pay it back when I leave uni, so it's unlikely I'm going to be donating much of it to charity. WHen my socieities run charity events, then my money goes to charity.

If not, it goes to buying me food, drink, and a suit of chainmail.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    See it this way: By buying luxury items you are helping to keep the workers who produced those items employed. If nobody bought the stuff, they would be unemployed.

9. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I do feel guilty sometimes. Usually only on larger purchases. I almost never pay full price for an entertainment item (game/cd/movie). I'm lucky that my computer doesn't have the power to run the newer games so all my game purchases are for older, discounted games. I have to confess that I'm a bit of a tightwad. Credit card purchases are especially disturbing to me, even when they are for something important and I will agonize over them for quite some time.

10. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Funny this topic should appear today!

I bought a Nintendo DS today and I'm feeling guilty. Partly cos my brother said he didnt think it was a good idea cos hes worried about me sitting in front of a screen all day (I work in IT) and doing nothing else.

It makes it worse when you know the person has a valid point, and you respect their point of view. But I think given the time I spend on the subway, its worth it.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's totally worth it - I LOVE my DS. Especially the DS Lite, which is what I have. Just pick up Brain Age and tell him it's making you smarter. That was my excuse. :p

Seriously, though - great system that plays Game Boy Advance games, has a powerful backlite and a VERY long lasting battery...for the price, it's a steal.

12. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Yup black DS Lite. also bought screen protector and essentials pack was bundled.

have sonic rush and it came with spectrobes, which I will probably at least try, before selling back to them for more than I paid for it (totally legal, the thing costs like £30 normally, they rebuy for £16. I paid £115 for a DSLite, spectrobes and essentials pack. do the math)

I want megaman zx, but only one online retailer has it, and I dont have it, so I would need my brother to pay. which he would do, but...

But I'll wait for that. might trade in spectrobes some time in may, and get either meteos or metroid prime hunters.

I'm feeling less guilty after I started enjoying sonic rush.

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

While yes, there are people that need the money more than I need the stuff I buy, the economy here depends on people like me buying the stuff. If I can strike a balance, then I am doing okay.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Never feel guilty because I don't buy too many luxary items at all. I have very few requirements entertainment wise. I often treat my friends whenever I can, I'm happy to not have a super-expensive petrol chugging car and I donate to charity.

Basically, I hardly spend much on entertainment. Only my WoW subscription and internet payments... other than that maybe go see a movie or a sports game.

15. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

As Abom, it's extremely rare that I splash out on luxury items - my only real weakness is books and even that has become a fairly rare event.

16. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Like T2Bruno I'm not a big spender on things that are for myself. I have to firstly have a good reason for buying something and plus it has to be discounted (or perhaps that's just my cheap asian side -we love our bargains haha). If it's for someone else I don't mind spending a bit more, and I occasionally donate money, though being a uni student who doesn't work I have a VERY limited budget. T_T

17. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I'm sort of a book addict and never feel guilty about those; perhaps I should, considering how many I buy. (Nearly all through the SP Amazon link, Tal.)

I rarely buy entertainment hardware - usually what I have has to break first. And as for computer equipment I hang on by my fingernails to the old machine, again, usually till it's so obsolete it's nearly useless.

I tithe my income - part of the 10% to my church, the rest to other charities - and that satisfies my sense of obligation to help others financially.

So, I suppose the answer is: no, I don't feel guilty. But you have to put it in the context of my not buying much besides books. And occasionally music.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.