1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Graphic card for my Dell?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Brallrock, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] I am looking in to upgrading my PC and could use some advice. I have a Dell:

Dimension 4500
    P4 1.9 ghz
    16gb HD with 80gb hd slave drive
    256 RAM
    and currently ATI Radeon 9000 64mb video card

What I need to know (the info on this site helped me know what I need to know) is how big of card can I go and not slow it down with the bottleneck you all speak of? :confused:

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm guessing that you have a motherboard with an AGP card slot.

That said, you can go all the way up to an ATI X800XT if you wanted too. It all depends on your budget. Just make sure that the card you get has the correct interface as your motherboard.

A nice card with a nice price is the ATI 9800 Pro. It comes in 256MB or the older 128MB, and you can also get it in the "All-In-Wonder" flavor too. :rolling:

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe the 256MB version of the 9800 that Kitrax is referring to is the 9800XT, but there is actually very little performance gain vs the 9800 Pro.

The 9800 Pro is a good choice, as are some of the lower-end X*00 cards (if they work with your motherboard). Not sure at what point you become CPU-limited, but higher-end cards probably won't do you any good.

I assume you're getting more RAM? At least 512 MB total, 1 GIG would be better.

Edit: just checked; apparently, there is a 256MB version of the 9800 Pro. Not sure about performance relative to the 128MB version, though.

[ November 27, 2005, 18:10: Message edited by: Splunge ]

4. Kitrax

Media:
    The performance is probable barely noticable, but the extra RAM is there for comsumers to take advantage of it, if they want too. :rolling:

5. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Yes I am getting more RAM, 1gig if Santa really loves me, 512 if I have been more naughty than nice. So how does one tell if they have AGP card slot? The card in there I installed in place of the origional 16 MB card from Dell. It slid right in one of the expansion slot thingys in the back of the tower. Apparently I know just enough to make me dangerous.

6. Kitrax

Media:
    This might not help much, but it will tell you exactly how AGP works. Have a look at How Stuff Works.

If it's older than a year, it can't be a PCIe, so that leaves AGP or PCI. PCI slots are usually white, and there are usually more than 2 of them. AGP slots are often times brown, and their cards have a little "L" shaped tab that slides in to the back of the AGP slot. Also, AGP has been the main video interface for the past several years. :rolling:

7. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

@ Kitrax, it helped very much. I am home now, and I opened up the beast and checked, it is green, but it is an AGP slot. Thank you all so much for the info, now I can go shopping armed with knowledge.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

If you have a lot of dough to stash then get a X800 Platinum. That's what I have, and believe me it's worth every single penny spent on it.

9. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

With that processor go for a 9800pro or 6600gt, you'll get a slight bottleneck with the 6600gt. An x800 would be a waste.

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Still shopping and begging the wife. Will let you know what I get when I get it. Thanks for all the input.

One more stupid question if I may. I don't really play very graphic intense games, Tiger Woods 2004 probably uses the most. Am I going to notice much of a difference between a 9800 pro 128 as compared to a 256? There is quite a difference in price and if I wont need it I don't want to waste the money.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The nVidia 6600GT will support 32-bit color in the infinity engine games, such as BGII and Icewind Dale; the ATI 9800 Pro will not - only 24 bit. To my eyes there is a noticeable difference in how these games look. In 3D they are pretty much the same. I'm not sure which video card interface you have. If you can find an nVidia 6800 in AGP, that would be even better. It has a 256 bit memory interface and 12 pipelines. I don't like recommending this brand (Apollo), but it was the only one I could find. Try to get eVGA or Asus if you can find one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814140067

The 6600GT is a really good buy at the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

There is a difference in brands and not only in quality, but in perforamce as well.

[ December 19, 2005, 19:42: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

12. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Dont bother with 256, its not worth it - and go for a 6600gt if you can.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.