1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Grammar Hall of Shame

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shralp, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] i dunn0 wh3at u r tamvlking ab0ut
    Ahem, sorry about that.

2. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Irony is when the perceived meaning of something differs from the actual meaning. I have not seen anything ironic here, but I always allow for the possibility that I am merely dense.

3. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I don't believe the thread is meant to be mean or hurtful to those who do make grammatical errors in their posts. It was originally intended simply to have fun. Some people on the boards that use English as their primary language still don't even bother to use even the simplest of grammatical rules. Laziness being the main reason. Some are well aware of their terrible spelling and grammar and STILL don't care to use a spell checker. If they're going to post under the knowledge that they aren't spelling or punctuating correctly... they should understand when others point it out.

The Grim Ripper: Archer14 already covered that joke ^^

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited November 20, 2001).]

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not that I agree with Archangel, but the irony lies in the fact that you wouldn't expect a lazy person to be expounding on the perils of grammatical laziness...

5. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] heh. Not to be long winding. But the actual meaning of my post was to complain that you title "Hall of shame" implied that the context of your thread would be more subtle and inventive than mocking recent events of "forgetting" punctuations, aposthrophes etc.

The "perceived" was that it is not polite to call someone lazy and point it out to a crowd. E-mail them if you have a problem with it. So I took the liberty to point out that you were lazy in not making a proper thread. You felt sad or offended didn't you? I wonder how Leethal feels. The "perceived" was teaching etiquette.

PS. Fair should be fair. You are right. it wasn't or isn't irony. My bad :). I just tried to defend those poor newbies. You could easily have picked on me, I make throngs of mistakes. I should have settled with what Mollusken said. Instead of a personal persuit for people, this time you, to act polite.

EDITED Because I made another mistake. I put the words actual and perceived the wrong places. Look you could make a thread about my bads. :p

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 20, 2001).]

6. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Im sorry but that original post was singling out people and picking on people, for example:

Leethal:
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ive lost my familiar before,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you two lost your apostrophe key too? They're pretty standard when constructing a contraction.

Leethal:

quote:
    Hey, Firkragg aint too hard, my undead hunter killed him by himself, hes lev 18 with flail of ages and dragon(skin?) shield....

Hey, I'm even good with using the word "ain't," but at least use that apostrophe. Oh, look. It's Leethal again."

"Oh look its Leethal again?" Im sorry (oh god no apostophe! Shoot me where I stand!) but in my books THAT is picking on somone, and it is wrong.

[This message has been edited by Gash (edited November 20, 2001).]

7. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Gash:
    Why is singling out people the same as picking on them? Do you disapprove of the IOTW 'award' too? As in the way the IOTW plaque encourages people to change their behaviour, so should this thread encourage the persons mentioned to change their grammatical habits. Or have I completely missed the point of this thread?

8. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Singling out is only bad when it is a judgement instead of an observation.
    That aside, I find that most of the posts here are pretty understandable. I hate to agree with Extremist ;). The mods do a pretty good job making sure people don't post stuff like:

u kNoW mInSc RuLz

It seems unfair to expect people to be proficient in English grammar when English is not their first language. English is the only language that I know and I don't have the grammar down. I would want some slack if I was posting on a German or Russian board and was not fluent.

9. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

!orderfor non-native-speakers jar full of slack

10. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

hmm.. well i just type really fast, and stopping to press shift every time i wish to write the letter 'I' slows me down.. am surprised there was no links to my bad grammar

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I knew I should have been the one to make this topic. Just for the record, I'm backing Shralp on this 100%. I'd do it in the same style he did. Most likely people wouldn't talk back so much if I did...

Even if we put all other basic grammatical mistakes aside (and we probably should, at least for the non-English people), spelling I as i, can't as cant, not starting sentences with a capitalized word, not bothering to capitalize names of persons, places etc. pisses me off immensely. (These are the rules everyone, no matter how unfamiliar with the language, must and does know.) It makes me mad not because I couldn't understand the meaning of such posts, but because anyone making such a "product" indirectly lets me know that he/she for some reason feels that Boards O' Magick are a place where these rules do not apply. I'm sorry to break it to you people, but these rules exist everywhere where people write things down. They are a bit more relaxed in the chatrooms where real-time writing occurs, but as far as I'm concerned, not using them on a message board where everyone can take the time to write things down neatly, and most importantly of all, EDIT their original post when they spot mistakes after making a post is unforgivable.

So please don't try to tell me that basics of good grammar don't apply here. That's just a lame excuse for ignorance and laziness. The worst thing is, it's not physical laziness, it's the laziness of the mind. That what scares me the most.

So to spice this topic up, and to promote use of good grammar even more, I present you with a follow-up to the Idiot of the Week award. This one is called Grammatical Moron of the Week, and will be given to people most qualified to bear its shameful tag.

Before you start jumping around and waving pitchforks at me, let me just explain that it will be given ONLY for the most severe cases of butchering of the English language & grammar and only to people whose native tongue actually is English. (And to people living in English-speaking countries.) It wouldn't be fair otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 20, 2001).]

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Tal, I can only applaud!

Yes, it is a shame to see those mistakes from ones who's native language is English. And it is damn too shame to see obvious "couldn't be bothered" style when it comes to Edit icon.

13. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Tal: Since you have these awards for how not to post, maybe awards for those following the rules, both grammatical and otherwise, would be a good idea? A poster of the week or month?

And how about annual Boards of Magick awards, where the IOTY and GMOTY are chosen?

Ok, the last part was a joke. ;)

14. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG]
    Implying what? That deep down we all know
    you rule by fear? OR we aren't honest with you?

Anyway. Pointing out persons' bad sides to a crowd, before letting them know of it, is just plain rude. If you incourage that. Fine. You must do what you feel is right.

What about more awards?

yours:
    Gramatical moron of the week
    Shows signs of mental laziness. Annoying. Not good

My suggestions:
    Immature moron of the week
    Annoying people. Not good.
    Complaining moron of the week
    Makes someone sad. Not good
    Long winding moron of the week
    never gets to the point. Even more annoying than Bad grammar. Not good.

So many great rules we can implement, eh?

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 20, 2001).]

15. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

I think that grammatical moron is a little harsh, how about grammatical retard?

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes ArchAngel, actually fewer people usually object when something gets said "officially", so to speak. As for most of your post, it's an idea, but since it took me more than a year to come up with these two "awards", I think any more will have to wait. Suggestions noted and appreciated though! ;)

P.S.
    You'd need to be either blind or a moron not to notice that everyone but you (like in gollum's case in the PoR forum for example) spells the same words properly, if nothing else. And since I doubt he's blind, he must qualify as the other type.

I think it's plainly obvious to him what his bad side is. Reading any posts by anyone else here should make him realize that. The whole point of the IOTW and GMOTW plaques is that the errors the recipient makes are so blatantly obvious to everyone else but them that they need a dose of enlightenment.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 20, 2001).]

17. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmmm ... the reaction is thus most probably because Shralp holds no 'actual' power while you do Taluntain ... correct me if i repeated what anyone says ... i didn't read much of it ...

18. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] The big problem with this medium is that inference by means of voice is lost amid the lines of plain text. Shralp; I dont know if you meant it to seem so, but your initial post seemed laced with the worst sort of pretention and pig-headed arrogance imaginable. It is one thing to respectfully request that people refrain from leaving illegible messages on the site and quite another to lambaste every missed capital caused by a pinky (if you'll forgive the colloquialism) slipping off the shift key. Indeed, from the evidence presented in said post I suspect you are the sort of small-minded, officious pedanticist who is always on hand with an unwanted dictionary definition, whose level of nit-picking bureaucracy is matched only by the number of hours his head was held down the school lavatory by two burly compulsory spelling club patrons.

Now for Will's disclaimer: I have no real evidence of the above; as I said, this type of forum is not the most versatile of communication mediums and thus misinterpretaion is frequent. I would like to have faith in that nifty little legend of "Built for Lovin'" by the dour dustman avatar. Please Shralp; maintain our confidence in your lothariodom (pardon the neologism).

[This message has been edited by Will (edited November 21, 2001).]

19. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Will, you showoff. How many people on the boards understood YOUR post? Probably several, fortunately, as we do have some erudite members here (Just wanted you to know I have a university-level vocabulary, too).

I'd like to point out that Shralp was hardly complaining over every missed capital; the posts mentioned contain several errors, enough to irritate anyone who cares about proper writing. I admit he was harsh, and perhaps he should have been less personal in his correction. Still, his point is valid. Even if you do make mistakes, there is absolutely nothing that prevents you from editing your post when you check it -- and check it you should.

20. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] I have never used this tool more intense than now. Us foreigners would be lost without it, guys :D

Cool dictionary

Anway. You said it Capstone. I complained about Shralp's style. His etiquette or lack thereof. His points are of course super duper valid. Encourage people to edit their obvious typos is the least we could do. But the style Shralp used was so :aww:

I had to react. Hey I am just trying to teach people to be a little nicer. My style could need some brushing up too. It's soon x-mas you know. A gift for you Shralp: :1eye:

EDITED HERE: Will? There is no such word as " a pedanticist". The only noun used in english is the short "a pendant". I guess it would be the same as calling "a dentist" "a dentisticist" Ahh. well. I am sure you have some clever way to elude the Merriam-Webster's dictionary :p :p :p

[Fixed the bad link.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 21, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.