1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

GPU Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Rotku, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Looking for a small bit of advice. Current graphics card is a 8600GT. Main game I was wanting to run when I got it was NWN2, but times change. It falls below the minimum requirements for Witcher 2, which is either Nvidia GF 8800 512 VR or ATI Radeon HD 3850 512 MB, so it's time for me to fork out a bit of cash and get something a tad more up to date.

A quick look through Tom's Hardware, most notably the May recommendations <$100, points me to either the Raedon 5670 or 6570, which seem to cost within $10 or so of each other. Checking the various tests, the 5670 does consistently scrape past the 6570.

Now, assuming that logic is sensible enough, and the May recommendations there make sense, the next question is there are like a gazillion different types of the 5670, with prices ranging an entire $100. What's the difference between them? None of the technical stuff makes any sense to me.

HEre's a list of comparisons, with local prices
    http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?j=878890,785796,542798,628085,807748

Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The two cheapest ones have older, slower memory on them, so I expect they will perform somewhat less. The differences in the other ones appears to be options and number and type of displayports. One of those is also passively cooled, which means less noise, but your case needs to have sufficient airflow to support this or it will overheat.

I wouldn't bother with the extra options - you'd be better off just buying a faster videocard like the HD5750 or something.
    The faster memory should help performance, but if it's worth the extra price (again it might then be worth it to scale up to the HD5750/5770) I wouldn't know. I suggest looking if you can find a comparison between the two types.

Also don't be expecting too much performance from any of these cards, especially if your monitor has a high native resolution.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What's the best nVidia card price/performance-wise at the moment? I'm getting a new system and I'm considering a GTS 450 as a replacement for my 9800GT.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tom's doesn't recommend NVidia cards at that price point and below; they go for AMD. For a little more, they do recommend the GTX 460 768MB and for a bit more the GTX 560.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't know if I should give ATI a chance... I've stuck with Nvidia all these years because everyone I knew who's bought ATI cards had complaints over them... especially the drivers. Is the situation any better at this point?

I checked the GTX 460 768MB and it's very hard to find here - mostly just 1GB models which are about 1/3 more expensive than the GTS 450...

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The 560 series with DX11. Perhaps a bit above the sweet spot, but it is on par with the ATI 6850/6870 series.

I played Witcher2 with a single 6850 and it placed the settings on medium. It looked great with STALKER Call of Pripyat dx 11 1920x1080

GTX 560 TI

I recently only had problems with crossfire profiles. Single card no problems for the past years. The last problems I had, was with Bioshock.

(You all know I favour AMD/ATI)

7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I recently did a massive Windows 7 update on my parents' machine, which included the latest ATI driver suite. Afterward, the desktop image no longer fit the monitor. I rolled it back.

It's a low-end card, but still ... pretty basic stuff gone wrong. I was not pleased with the wasting of my time. :bad:

8. Taluntain

Media:
    That's exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid... I'll rather buy a lower-performing Nvidia card that I know won't give me headaches and waste my time than an ATI card which will look better on paper but come up with quirks like that.

The GTX 560 is €215 here though... very pricey for my budget. :bad:

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Like you, I've always gone with NVidia for the same reasons; so I don't have any personal experience with AMD. I have heard they are better today than they used to be though.

Oh, but they do mention the GTS 450 at the top of the page I linked above, so it's not bad, just the AMD they recommend they feel is a better deal at that price.

10. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Ive always used Nvidia, until I bought a 6870 lets just say Im not that impressed, once Im done with this card, its back to Nvidia. They may often cost more, but you get what you pay for.

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Shoshino: What were you not impressed with then? Performance? Driver support?

ATI used to be behind nVidia in the driver department, and still is if you're running Linux. But nowadays AMD's driver support has much improved and nVidia dropped the ball a few times too. Like releasing drivers that would demolish your videocard, for instance.

I have a HD5850 and have certainly not been disappointed with it. Not that nVidia had a viable alternative then - they released their 580 only a couple of months afterward I did my upgrade, and it wasn't even a good alternative even then.

12. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm running an xfx radeon hd 5970 black edition & its a beast. I haven't found anything I can't run at max settings.
    Using a phenom II x6 1100 black edition, 16gig of ram & 2 1Tb hard drives in a raid 0 configuration for performance.

Don't ask me what all that does, it is just what my grandson told me when he built it:).
    I just play games, send e-mails & post on a few sites.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Stick to whatever manufacturer that you like. If you like Nvidia better why not. It are good cards especially with physics.

ATI/AMD updates its drivers every month. The driver issue with AMD is over. The drivers both form Nvidia as AMD have their good and bad times.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 14 seconds later... ----------

A 4:3 monitor? If so use legacy drivers.

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I had a GTX 290 before this card, the 290 packed in after nearly 2 years and so I bought this on a recommendation. I dont really find that it performs like the 290, the performance issues can be seen in several games, Batman Arkham asylum for one, fallout new vegas has purple all over it for some reason and dont get me started on Dead Space 2, I had to roll back the driver to see cinematics, and then I had to reinstall the latest driver to get any kind of performance with DA2 and Bioshock 2

15. Taluntain

Media:
    I did some more digging on what's available locally and the biggest choice is exactly between the GTX 460 and GTX 560 models that BTA mentioned... the only problem is that there's at least 10 different 460 variants and at least 24 (!) different 560 variants from different makers. And Nvidia doesn't seem to be forcing any specs whatsoever because the models vary significantly... so it's a very hard call without doing quite a bit of research into the performance of various models. I really hate it when it takes this much work to get to the "best buy"... :nolike:

Anyway, long story short, after some more digging I've come to the realization that the GTX 460 1GB and GTX 560 are about 20% apart in terms of performance and - what'd you know - also exactly 20% apart in price (comparing the cheapest models available here - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB SE vs. MSI GeForce GTX 560 1GB). Price/performance-wise, I think the GTX 460 1GB/560 are the best of what's available on the market here. Now it's just a question of whether I want to pay 20% more money for 20% more power from the base of GTX 460 1GB.

In my estimation, it just about ISN'T worth it... but it's very, very close.

16. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I happen to be running a Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb as we speak, and I can honestly say i'm very happy with it.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Cool, I'll most likely go for that one.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I bought a EVGA 460 GTX SC 1GB a while back. The only reason I didn't go for the 560 was it needed more power and I didn't want to push my 500W power supply too far.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    A 550W supply is enough for that one, I assume?

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Even the 500W would normally be enough, but I have so much other stuff in my computer (multiple HDDs, multiple TV tuners, etc.) that I didn't want to push it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.