1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gordon Brown - did you vote for him? Me neither.

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Alavin, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I'm really getting into this weblogging thing; despite the incoherence and anti-humour inherent in each post, it's very cathartic, so I'm going to keep doing it.

I'm going to get an admission out of the way first - I suck at politics. My instinctual reaction is that people should be left alone, and only be intruded upon when they do something wrong, which is occasionally branded "apathetic". I'm not apathetic - I just avoid the things that don't matter to me. So I apologise - a good deal of this will seem ignorant to those that follow politics with any enthusiasm. I just see it as a necessary evil.

But I am unhappy. Gordon Brown, despite apparently knowing nothing about politics, has managed to subvert the political system of my great nation to put himself in power. No one voted for him, yet he sits at the top of the political food chain dribbling on the people below him with his ineptitude. His arguments for why he's allowed to do this are weak - "You voted for the party!" he says (well, I didn't, but I see what he means), yet he ignores the policies Tony Blair was elected on, such as the refurrendum on the new EU treaty on the baseless grounds that it's completely different when it's not. He dithers on taxes, raising them, lowering them, backpedalling frantically when people don't like it. He doesn't seem to have a clue.

My biggest problem with him is that he's following the letter of the rules, rather than the spirit. And yes, that's not a good phrase to use in political discussions, so I shall put it another way - it's just not cricket.

He ninjas in to office legitimately, kindly planning to have an election soon after. This is what it's hoped someone would do in that situation. But no, this is a man who's been enviously eyeing the PM job for a decade, and now he's there, there's no shifting him. He sees the opinion polls are against him, so he decides to postpone the election for another year. And the people of Britain seem to accept this. And I don't see why.

At least Blair had some charisma - at least at first, until people saw through the cloud of noxious gases coming of his huge pile of bull. But I do believe, as much as I disrespect him as a political leader, that Blair actually tried to do what he believed was right, unlike a certain scotsman who clings to his job in the same way he clings to the buffet at the political meetings we pay for him to go to. If he had integrity, he'd hold the election now. But he doesn't, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You English types don't recognize my vote...even though many of you still persist on referring to us as Colonists! :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.