1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good mods

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by lwelyk, Sep 4, 2007.

1. lwelyk Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm going to play through BGII again. Can anyone suggest some mods for me? I'm going to be playing as a female assassin, so what do you recommend?

2. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

What kind of mods are you looking for? Quests, rule changes, NPCs, etc.?

3. lwelyk Gems: 3/31

NPCs, quests, anything like that. But not rulechanges.

4. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Um...all I really play as far as mods go are NPCs, and I'm REALLY picky about a large amount of things so, a lot have been ruled out of my good books. I really like Kelsey, Keto, Yasreana(sp?), and Xan was ok. Their portraits match the original troupe, and have the right amount of banter (not too much, not to little, although Xan was kind of a chatter filled emo kid LOL) I like their classes, as they work well in many different party combinations. Depending on your alignment, these may or not be good companions to join your party.

Also, Dungeon BeGone is a MUST for me after playing so many times.

Another NPC I like is Nathaniel, but he'll hate your Assasin :p

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Questwise I'd recommend:
    Questpack
    Unfinished business (UB)
    Tower of deception (ToD)

When I last played with these the crooked crane component of UB was incomputable with ToD. If this still hasn't been addressed just skip the Crooked Crane component on installation and it'l all work fine.

The only NPC mod I've used was Tashia (female sorcerer), she was quite well done,.and I'd definitely recommend her. Having said this Kelsey (male sorcerer) is another very good npc mod and would have the added bonus of a romance with your PC.

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I'll second Stu's recommendation of Unfinished Business and Quest Pack. I've never played ToD so I can't comment. I'll also throw in G3 Anniversary, with the caveat that it's a silly (but fun) mod.

7. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

[​IMG] ;) Stu probably forgets quickly...
    This has been taken care of.

Regards

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Improved Anvil is definitely a very good mod. Its quality and content ıs second to none in my humble opinion, but it greatly enhances the difficulty of most battles in the game so is not for the faint of heart.

Blucher's Expanded Thıef Stronghold ıs a must for your assassin! New quests are fun!

Song and Sılence, and Rogues Rebalancing mods are always useful and fun ıf you have a thief PC. They add ıtems, powers and kıts to rogue classes (thıeves and bards)

G3 Anniversary ıs a very fun mod. Not silly, but quıte humorous every tıme you play it. It has a good quest running all over the Athkathla and ıs very very fun wıth lots of mini quests and hıllarıous events to boot!

Solaufeın NPC mod ıs nıce enough I guess. It has deep banters and romance.

That's all I can remember now.

9. lwelyk Gems: 3/31

I'm DEFINITELY using dungeon be gone.

So suggestions so far are:
    Dungeon Be Gone
    Quest Pack
    Unfinished Business
    Tower of Deception
    Tashia/Kelsey
    G3 Anniversary
    Improved Anvil
    Expanded Thief Stronghold
    Song and Silence
    Other Rogue Rebalancing mods of some sort

And solafain, but I don't like him so I won't use him. Any other NPC suggestions?

10. Edmond Dantes Gems: 3/31

If I may add my 2 cents worth ;)

In terms of NPC, I'm really enjoying the Kivan Mod, as I find it to be very well embedded into the game.

The Xan mod is nice, as well, especially if you chose F/M as a class for Xan - his banters are always depressingly fun :p

I tried Improved Anvil, and although it is, in my opinion, the finest mod out there in terms of new content, attention to detail, novelties of all sorts, I just found it too difficult and a bit un-RPG since you need to powergame from start to finish (i.e. pre-buff before each battle, etc). But if you want a challenge, then it's the way to go.

11. lwelyk Gems: 3/31

I'll stay away from IA then. I don't like having to do that. Kivan sounds good though. Does he have ToB content?

12. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

He does, and so does someone else you might find in the Kivan mod.

13. Halasz Gems: 7/31

Kivan Mod:
    I'm pretty sure he does, as you can resurrect his wife if you don't romance him. Sorry to the developers, but I almost un-installed the mod as soon I started playing with Kivan. Dialogue is good, but he had something to say about EVERYTHING...it annoyed me, but thats just my :2c:

14. Shaitan

Nice of you revealing that.

If you think Kivan has much to say, he does especially in the beginning, then try Kelsey, who would change the game from SoA to SoKelsey. Nonetheless Kivan, Xan, Amber, Auren, Kelsey and KEto are really good mods. Unfortunately neither Auren nor Keto has ToB content so far.

15. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Actually, that's my beef with most NPC mods. I'm hard to please when it comes to seamless integration, and every NPC mod I've tried came out to me as stealing CHARNAME's thunder at times.

I know, I'm not the target audience for those mods. I'm not keen on player-initiated dialogues, friendship paths and whatnots. I know it's kind of an evolution regarding roleplaying immersion and all, but I like the game the way it is.

Actually, I was thinking of giving Kivan a try, because he was so cool in BG1. But he always striked me like the silent, mysterious type. It'd be weird seeing him more talkative than, say, Jaheira.

16. Halasz Gems: 7/31

Well, sorry for giving the spoiler lol, but its pretty much in the mod description :rolleyes:

But its all good, Kivan was a good mod, I just have a very specific criteria when choosing NPCs. Don't let people's comments on here make up your mind about whether or not to try a mod, make up your own mind about it.

My play with Kivan was so brief that I've been thinking of re-installing him into the line up. I'll try to give off a less critical approach to lending help in the mod department from now on :p

17. lwelyk Gems: 3/31

Dungeon Be Gone
    Quest Pack
    Unfinished Business
    Tower of Deception
    G3 Anniversary
    Song and Silence
    Rogue Rebalencing
    Kelsey
    Xan
    Kivan

I would like amber but I already am a theif, and I don't want another. Now the big question...

In what order do I install these? I can't remember if they're all Weidu. If anyone knows the order, please tell me.

[ September 05, 2007, 01:43: Message edited by: lwelyk ]

18. Shaitan

S & S
    Dungeon BG
    Kelsey
    Kivan
    Xan
    G3 Anni
    ToD
    UB (avoid the minor dialog)
    QP
    Rogue R

What about a Tweak pack? I would recommend the G3 Tweakpack. That goes last

19. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ummm. out of curiosity for myself since I've been looking for pure thieves if I can find one. Does Amber have a lot to her?

20. Shaitan

She's a thief->fighter Thiefling. You have an option to romance her. I never played her, as she's incompatible with IA.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.