1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good beer from your country

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, Aug 14, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I like drinking various brands rather than a specific one. This every evening a brilliant idea struck my genial mind (OK, OK, with a little stimulus from Morgoth ;) ): we have plenty of people from various countries here on SP. Why not ask them about the beer from their countries?

Preferably stuff you have actually drunk.

Poland:

Dębowe Mocne (Debowe Mocne) - very good
    Tatra - good if you like the sharp taste of spirit; warning: people say you can get drunk with it, although I know nothing of that, hehe ;)
    Zywiec - quite good
    Lech - quite fine if you have nothing better

Anything cheaper than those sucks.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Grolsch
    Heineken
    Bavaria
    Oranjeboom

If you can get your hands on "het kanon" from Grolsch, you should give it a try. It's 13% alcohol. That'll grow some hair on your chest. :D

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, an evil giantic dutch beer company came along and bought nearly everything up, now it looks pretty dark on the home-market. Ok, ok, I got used to Amstel-beer. But that's because it's water-style. Good for the sea when it's so hot.

Of the remaining beers:

Häxli (Which is quiet good)
    Calanda (If it must be)
    Eichhof (From the strange folk south)

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Tsingtao's pretty good, or so I hear.

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I think Pac Man and Yago mentioned all the major dutch beer brands, except for Brand, Dommelsch and Hertog Jan.

Beer companies always have the best television commercials in Holland. Heiniken has it's famous 'Biertje?', Amstel has those commercial with those three friends (those are hilarious), and Dommelsch also had a funny commercial once. In that Dommelsch commercial two guys are digging up old bones, near an old dutch town, where they make Dommelsch. They have all kinds of skulls, with a big part of the front teeth missing. So one guys says: "How do you think that happened?" So the other guy says: "I don't know", while he opens up a bottle of Dommelsch with his teeth. EDIT: When I read my own post, I realised that it actually didn't sound that funny, I guess you had to see it for yourself to completely understand it.

[ August 15, 2003, 00:33: Message edited by: Mesmero ]

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Molson Canadian
    Sleemans Pale Ale
    Kokanne Gold
    Labbats Blue

Thats about it from Canada.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Benanthalin:

:thumb: on the second and third, but you're kidding about Canadian and Blue, right? :p

Add:
    Rickards Red
    Alexander Keiths

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Vos
    Hoegaarden

Heineken, Grolsch, Amstel and Bavaria can be classified as canalwater. yuck..

I want some flavour in my beer dammit!

[ August 15, 2003, 01:47: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There are numerous microbrews that are OK here, but most mass produced American beer is simply piss. I can't vouch for any of it. When it comes to beer, I'm Irish -- bring on the Guinness!

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm with dmc - in the USA, microbrew is the way to go! Otherwise, I like Sam Smith's from England, especially the oatmeal stout.

11. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I could write a book on this subject. Now my favorite mass produced beer is Miller Light.

12. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] To add to Yago's list:
    Löwenbräu
    Feldschlösschen (sp)
    Vollmond

Although, IMHO, you drink this stuff only if you are pretty desperate. There is much better around.

I'll leave the beer from my current country to the natives :D

Oh and btw, I am waiting for someone from Germany and Czech Republic to step forward and enlighten us.

13. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

• Kelt, this is slovak writting of Celt, nordic nation, pronunciation celt
    • Corgon (Corgoň - the last letter is n with caron), this means something like rogue, pronunciation zorghonh
    • Stein, this is german word for rock, pronunciation shtein
    • Saris (Šariš - first and last letter is s with caron), this is a eastern part of Slovakia, pronunciation sharish
    • Smadny Mnich (Smädný Mních - Sm(a with diaresis)dn(y with acute) Mn(i with acute)ch, this is thirsty monk ..., don't want to write pronounciation of this ... not so simply ...
    • Zlaty Bazant (Zlatý Bažant - Zlat(y with acute) Ba(z with caron)ant) - slovak for golden pheasant), no pronounciation too, sorry
    These came into my mind. Many more here.

14. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Beer Rocks! It's one of the 'interests' I put in my profile so I have to chime in.

There are some great micro-brews in the States as has been pointed out. Main stream American beer is nothing more than bottled urine to me. So on to the good stuff.

Goose Island makes some decent beer. Not my favorite but it's brewed right here in Chicago so I have to mention it. The Goose Island Fest is this weekend. You know I'll be there, so any other folks from Chicago should come on down. Or anyone else who can make it. The more the merrier.

Three Floyds from Indiana makes great beer. Their Alpha King Pale Ale is good and so is their Black Sun Stout.

Kalamazoo Brewing Company a.k.a. Bell's is by far my favorite micro-brewery. I'll continue with a list of their beers because I pretty much like them all. Anybody who gets a chance should try some out.

Amber Ale is awesome and very refreshing.

Oberon is the same, but it's seasonal so it's tough to find a fresh batch in the winter.

Kalamazoo Stout and Oatmeal Stout they make are my favorite brews from Bell's. Awesome stuff that I could drink all night and day if I didn't have to hold down a job.

On to California.

Sierra Nevada Brewers make some good stuff too.

The Porter and Pale Ale rock and in if you want to get your ass kicked try their Bigfoot Barely Wine. That'll get you going for sure.

Can't mention Cali without bringing up Anchor Brewing. The Anchor Porter is damn good.

I could go on and on so I'll stop...for now. Plus all this talk of beer is making me thirsty. So I'm off to drink some beer :D .

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I think the best American national brew would be:

Yuengling or Sam Adams

Other than those...I prefer imports!

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just a few...

'Lager thn life.'
    I prefer Hertog Jan (or Hertog Jan's lovergirl 'Janneke').

Oranjeboom is the worst beer I ever tasted...

17. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Don't get me started on Belgian beers... too late!

Just a few I tasted:

La bière d'abeille.
    Faro.
    Rodenbach.
    Hoegaarden.
    Quintine.
    St. Feuillien.
    Cuvée des flandres.
    Rochefortoise.
    Leffe.
    Amélie.
    Guillotine.
    Mercator.
    Noël.
    Pacques.
    Duvel.
    Barbar.
    Judas.
    Mort Subite.
    Geuze.
    Double Enghien
    Fantome de noel.
    Gauloise.
    Gaumaise.
    Lucifer.
    Kriek.
    Cerisette.
    Brunehaut.
    Westmalle.
    Pêcheresse.
    Charlequin.
    Delirium Tremens
    Chimay.

I could go on.

18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Come on, you forgot the best Belgish beer, Palm!

19. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sure I forgot a whole lot, those beers I mentioned just happened to cross my mind.

20. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

for america it would be yuengling, can only get it in pennsylvania though. i cant stand beer but its the best ive tasted and ive lived all over the country and in korea(nasty place that) and guam for a while(its fun to watch brown snakes get killed by dogs and cats lol). sam adams isnt bad and iron city is decent. o and sorvo why would you spend $25 on a case of water?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.