1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gonna try this game again. Character suggestions.

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Advanced Simplicity, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Last time I had a go with this game I got bored and didn't enjoy myself, I played a fighter(4)barbarian(x) half-orc...

Anyone have some good character suggestions? I only have the original part of the game right now, but I plan on getting both expansions.

What's the max lvl? I enjoy caster classes (especially arcane). Basicly I need some good builds as i'm not so into 3.5 rules (or 3.0 or whatever :) )

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

In the original NWN, the level cap is at 20. This is significant because if there are several classes (Monks, and Druids for instance) that gain their best abilities at level 20. If you take a level in another class, you end up forfieting the big level 20 bonus.

I've found that arcane casters in this game just aren't nearly as fun to play as those in the Infinity Engine games. They tend to get boring right after character creation, so i tend to avoid them.

My favorite character to play through as is a Druid. They have spells, and can shapeshift, so they're a lot more versatile(less boring) than the other classes.

With a Druid, i suggest, with the exception of parry, sticking pretty close to the recommended skills. For Feats, you'll need to decide whether you'll be playing mostly as a caster, or as a shapeshifted melee'r. If you choose casting, you'll want some metamagics, and if you choose shapeshifting, you'll want such things as power attack, and cleave. I've been trying knockdown recently, and its actually been kind of fun.

For my builds, i tend to take the Extend metamagic, and then focus on melee feats. Extend makes all the defensive spells last a lot longer, so you can cast them, then shift.

Hope this helps :)

3. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31

Woah, druid why didn't I think of that? I have always liked druids, i'm gonna try this, probably as the shapeshifted melee'r. Thanks!

4. Shire Gems: 4/31

fighter/barb half orcs rule. Playing only chapter 1, but I'm having fun :D St 20, magicla two hander, focus and specialization, cleave and knockdown...geez this guy kicks arse. Only downside if my very poor AC, so I'm gulping a lot of potions. But doind 15 to 20 damage a hit, with +13 and +8 rolls on attack, I can cleave through quite many foes :)

I agree with Cele, pure casters tend to be boring in this game (not to mention a lot weaker than in, say IWDs), druid is tons of fun, spells, melee, shapeshift. Be a melee druid, get the rogue hencman as your backup using missiles, take in your animal friend and a summon..you field quite the army there.

5. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31

One question bout shapeshifter druids.. is it pointless to invest many points on STR, DEX and CON at character creation or do theese get overwrided when you shapeshift ?

6. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

They get overrided when you shapeshift. However, 13 STR is still needed if you want to invest in power attack and cleave. 13 DEX is needed if you want to invest in dodge, mobility, and spirng attack (id just invest in tumble every odd level instead). Typically, i don't worry about Con or Dex (i leave them at their base amounts), but i do take the 13 in STR. It allows those feats, and it its just nice to be able to have *some* natural carrying capacity.

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Being a Half-Orc barbarian with really low Int was sort of fun for a while, up until the dialogues became boring and lost their comedic luster.

Any melee class rules NWN.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.