1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Golem Slaying *TIP*

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Athalon, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Athalon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There is a great little trick for defeating any Golems you might run into. Simply take the Ring of Earth Control and use it's Control/Charm Earth Elemental ability on the biggest Golem around. Despite the description of the spell, it accutally works on the golems too! It might take a couple of tries, but you can rest in the same room as the golems and try again. After you've gotten the biggest on there charmed, let him kill off the others and then loot the treasures before the spell wears off

2. TheBully Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Isnt that the ovious way of getting the loot in the dearnise keep?

Its really frustrating though as the golems save Vs spells most times you try it.

3. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

No, I don't think its so obvious...its very cheesy in fact and my usual method of getting the loot from the columns in the castle is to take the flail head only...don't really need the other things and the golems don't go all medieval on me that way. When I have decided I needed the weapons, I have either fought the bastards or ran like a nancy boy...you can actually separate them if you run and try to shut doors behind you. The iron golem is they only one who is really difficult. By the way, there is a mage spell which will create enchanted +3 weapons you can use...it creates a longsword, shortsword, axe or a mace if I am remembering it right. I normally use that spell to make weapons to fight the iron golem.

4. Oricalcum Gems: 5/31

That is a cool mage spell, that enchanted weapon.

I have a Swashbuckler/Mage profficent in longwords and 2 weapons. I will have him able to cast that twice each day so he'll have 2 +3 weapons to use.

5. corval Gems: 5/31

the most obvious, and easiest way to get the goods from the golems in the keep is to cast sanctuary. you can just waltz up and take what you want without being attacked.

6. TheBully Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Darn I bet I could have used that on hte illithids as well

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Black and blue with blood running from a head wound Mathetais reads this thread and mutters . . .

"You mean this blasted ring actually does something besides lowering my AC by 1????"

8. Serora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I just took the stuff and ran for my life! When I came back up the iron golem was blocking the doorway and none of the golems could get through.

9. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

For some reason I didn't do this at the beginning of the game. I'm doing it now in Chapter 6 and I have to say I don't understand what you all are complaining about!! Crom Faeyr kills half of them before they even get started. :)

Incidentally, each pillar activates two of the golems, so there is no need to fight more than two at once. Take something, kill two, repeat.

10. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

both times I took the loot, I used santuary, (the hammer is average, but the Bow and Axe are very nice).

11. Subra Gems: 8/31

Veteran

The bow is not a great item. It is probably the worst of the magic bows available. You will probably only need longbow on 1 character in your party and there are much better ones to use. The axe is not a great item. Its not any better than the axes in the Copper Coronet. The hammer has potential IF you keep it thru SoA to use in ToB vs. fire giants. Anyone know if trolls are considered as giant class? Bet they aren't are they?

Well, what you do expect for nothing?

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

"Troll" exist in the game files as race but also as class. Crom Faeyr kills with one hit creatures who's CLASS is Troll (trust me on this). So Troll creature who's class is Mage can't be killed by Crom with one strike.

The Fire Giant does not exist in SoA tables. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in ToB.

13. Subra Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Har! Thanks Extremist....pretty much means the hammer is garbage too....only reason I would wake up those golems would be if I could handle them in a fight for the experience or if I was short gold and wanted to sell the loots from the columns.

14. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You know you can actually kill them off one by one, before they turn hostile? The others don't seem to mind if you kill their fellow golems. (Well they are brainless)

15. Subra Gems: 8/31

Veteran

No, you can't kill them one by one. If you loot one column, it will wake up a pair of them. Two at a time is the fewest I ever seen go hostile at any time....although I'm expecting you mean that cheese tactic where you make the command to talk to them then force attack them, they are stuck in talk mode for the round and can't counterattack you...its too cheesy.

16. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That's why you kill them BEFORE you loot the columns.

You don't have to fake talk them...you just walk up to one and whack it. It fights back while the others stand around...

I don't consider this a cheese tactic. You have to know the strengths and weaknesses of your opponents. The weakness of golems is that they have no brains.

[This message has been edited by Gonzago (edited July 29, 2001).]

17. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Subra, i'm sure i could find a lot of bows worse that it for somebody who is proficient with them.

sometimes i wish there was a :point of view: smilie.

18. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I like to use the 'set snare' and 'set special snare' special abilities of thieves (and kits). It's amazing what a couple of 'set snares' will do to the iron (and later, the adamanite) golem. Also, if you haven't had to save/reload, you get the exp. for killin' 'em, as well. If you've chosen the speed method, it's pretty nice to see the one-time damage Yoshi can do with a successful 'set special snare' cast through the door (while, of course, he can't SEE any of the golems, or he can't set any snares) to six angry golems (possibly not the clay? I forget, now) that have been blocked from pursuing by the iron one. This strategy also works particularly well on various dragons . . . .

19. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Actually, Capstone is playing chapter 6...
    That means no Yoshi.

Any suggestions which other NPC thieves should be used to set snares? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Guys, in case you missed something, equip Minsc with Lilarcor plus there are some good War Hammers to find or buy around Athkatla. That should nail all of golems. Easily, trust me. Just get some antidote potions or memorize anti-venom spells.

20. Subra Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Plus you get a +3 staff from the Rakshasa in the Druid Grove sector...but pobably if a person can handle those tiger heads, they won't have any trouble with the golem. The only usage I ever found for enchanted weapon was to create a +3 mace for those dang golems.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.