1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Going to need some help with my paladin

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Melhisedek, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Hi folks, well after playing NWN2 I can't wait untill I start (again) the game that started it all :)

Thing is I would need some help with planing my character, like what stats I should aim for (and where to put rest if I manage to roll higher), weapon proficiencies and such... I plan on playing through both games and both expansions and taking this guy all the way with me. Of course being newb and this game being harder than NWN ones I need all the help I can get, and would not want poor thing to be gimped ;)

*edit*
    Ok, I'm very embarrassed now. I thought that I've created similar topic yesterday but when I checked for it earlier I couldn't find it so I thought I must've dreamed it :(
    Than I check my mail seconds ago and see that my topic has been moved :( I'm sorry for the inconvenience folks :(

Thank you for your time!

[ November 21, 2006, 16:23: Message edited by: Melhisedek ]

2. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you don't mind gimping your character early on, there's a Gauntlets of DEX you can get pretty quickly that increases your DEX to 18, so you can use it as a dump stat and drop your CHARNAME down to 9 or so, then spend the points where you need them. BG uses minimum stat rolls so your paladin will always start with high CHA. If you plan to tank, dump points into STR and CON, the rest into WIS. You can also use INT as a dump stat unless you plan to play through BG2, where there are critters that will literally kill you if your INT is low.

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

As noted in the other thread, WIS does so very little for you, there's no point in going over the minimum requirement.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    STR, DEX, CON are what you need. Just don't let the rest go below 10. Other than that, bugger them you don't need them.

Weapons - Bow and large swords (Longbow and Two-Handed swords if Tutu).

Probably best way to go mate.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    A paladin? I get all the DnD versions mixed up now, but the way to go for a paladin is:

Str - Min 16 (as high as you can get it)
    Dex - 12 (a paladin's going to be wearing heavy armor...any Dex bonus above +1 will be wasted)
    Con - 10 or 12
    Int - 10 or 12
    Wis - 14 (pallys can't cast over 4th level, so more is wasted)
    Cha - Min 16 (come one, you're a paladin!!!)

My two cents...But I take my paladins seriously ;)

6. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    What the diddly? :confused:
    Um, this is BG we're talking about
    STR 18
    DEX 18
    CON 18
    INT 3
    WIS 13
    CHA 18

Since there are enough points to get STR,DEX,CON maxed, max them.
    BG dex bonus starts at 15, and there aren't any heavy armor penalties.
    No use for intelligence when you're a warrior.
    No wis bonus for paladins, but 13 is minimum.
    Charisma minimum for BG paladins is 17.

7. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    If the intention is to play BGII with this character, try to boost Intelligence a bit as one Illithid hit will kill a character with 3 Int.

8. Trellheim Gems: 22/31

Media:
    Damn, I forgot illithids :doh:

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hey, just don't get hit by illihids...There's always free action and mind shield that will keep you covered for what they've got. But a pally isn't the best options for countering illithids in general.

Going toe-to-toe with illithids with a melee character is something I try to avoid at all costs. Magically protected characters, sneaky backstabbing techniques, running away, hiding in shadows, summons and ranged fighting is the way to go. Melee is the last option anyway, so I wouldn't be too worried of having a pally with int 3, if you have a party to back him up.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Having played a minimum INT monk, I can say from experience that that's just not enough. Even with ridiculously low AC, they can still get you on criticals, and one lucky hit means you're toast.
    ...In BG1, yeah. But things in the sequel have too many hit points to take everything down at a distance.

Regardless, putting only two more points into INT to keep your pally from being a one-hit wonder isn't much of a sacrifice. Even with scores of 18 18 18 5 13 18, that's still only 88 total; not at all hard to get, especially for a paladin.

11. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Trellheim, I believe that Sir Belisarius is talking about third and 3.5 edition of DnD rules, and from his POW those stats are just the right ones. 3.5 edition makes many changes to stats bonuses and penalties, and a paladin with 3 INT and 18 DEX wouldn't fare well. Of course, for BG world, which is second adition, your stats are much better.

He's right, paladins have huge minimal stats, the only class with bigger minimal stats than paladins are rangers. So 88 points for paladin is a breze. Or, you can go for 18/xx 18 18 10 13 18, like I did :p Took me only half an hour, and I do believe that is the most powerful child of Bhaal that I ever made :)

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    I never like INT below 10, as you sound a proper fart when talking to NPC's.

13. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

This would mean that more than 40 percent of the D&D heroes are not able to talk properly, since you get <10 quite often with a 3d6 roll.

14. Trellheim Gems: 22/31

Media:
    Huh? Intelligence hasn't affected any of my conversations.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Are you sure? Low INT, for me, takes some dialogue options away and replaces them with really dumb sounding things.

Maybe it's a bigger thing in BG2 than BG1...

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yeah, they didn't do that much in BG1. ...Actually there's a lot in BG2 that they didn't do much in BG1. :roll:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.