1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Going to church

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Volsung, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Why going to church makes someone a good Christian?
    I might go to church every Sunday, or even every day. But I'm still an atheist. One can praise God wherever and whenever he wants. So, what going to church has to do with your being a good Christian?

[ June 20, 2003, 15:58: Message edited by: Alexander the Great ]

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I think the whole going to church thing made you closer to the Christian community, else you be portrayed as a an outsider.

You don't even NEED to go to church, didn't Jesus say that your body is your own temple?

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Good point Morgoth.

And what is it with these churches anyway ? They're always collecting money... does god really need my cash ? :D

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Rather negative comments about church don't you think?

Being a good person has absolutely nothing to do with being church observant or not. The main point is to do what you think is right for the right reasons.

Church is not all about "cash". Organisations that ask for donations into cancer research should also be ridiculed?

I don't go to chuch, I'm not even christian, but isn't it possible to see through the shallowness of the above? I can.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It doesn't. You don't have to be any Christian to go to the church. Church is about community of believers and uniting in Christ, who *did* want to establish an institutional church. Take my word on this or face the whole lot of supporting quotes ;)

Sayeth is archaic 3rd person singular from say. This way your sentence looks like 'One can says God wherever and whenever he wants'. I'm a bit confused about the meaning.

Paying a visit to God in His house on earth, chosen place. Uniting with fellow Christian in love to and worship of God. Uniting with God Himself in Eucharist, receiving God's word and blessings.

6. Volsung Gems: 14/31

I made this thread because I'm 'angry' with many people. They say: "I'm a good Christian; I go to church every Sunday, I do my prayers." What the heck does it mean? As I said above I might go to church but I'm still an atheist.

Chevalier, I thought "sayeth" means "praise".

Pac Man, the church gathers money to help the poor/homeless etc. Well, if they don't do any of these noble things is another matter. And this other matter is one of the many reasons I lost my faith(which, I think, was never strong).

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Do I even get into this one??? *looks at pile of work to be done, sighs, gives it a try*

Going to church doesn't make you a christian than sleeping in a garage makes you a car. Many people go for the wrong reasons.

As a "real Christian", since I left the ministry I've had a tough time plugging into a church. It is natural for me to desire a relationship with other brothers & sisters, in fact, it is commanded that I do so in the Bible.

I'm not less of a Christian because of this ... but I will be more at peace when I finally do.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Alex

Saying that just because you go to church makes you a good Christian is a statement I've always found to be a bit ridiculous. If only it were that simple. I suppose it's easier to offer up as proof to others than "I don't sin at all!" It's more a statement of loyalty to the church. But like you said, just going doesn't make you a good Christian.

The word "sayeth" means the same as "declared" or "said;" the past tense of "say."

@ Khazraj

I agree with you there. But I think the point Pac Man was making - and if not, it's the point I'll make - is that you don't always know where that cash is going. Most parishes use their collection money to house their clergy, maintain the church itself and facilities, and fund community programs. But there are also many churches, especially here in the states (though I'm sure internationally as well) which have histories of squandering or lying about where their funds are going. Churches aren't often held accountable for their donations by their parishes.

9. Volsung Gems: 14/31

Death Rabbit, I didn't say I agree with this. I said that I am angry with the people who tell such things.. You misunderstood me.

And I edited the fisrt post. It's now "praise".

10. chevalier

Media:
    Going to church alone makes a Christian of them as much as of you. Same for prayers, to an extent.

Also if someone says he's a good Christian he probably doesn't understand much of Christianity. Well, apart from a few jokes I've never said this about myself. Which doesn't make me a good Christian in the slightest degree.

One is sure: if someone says he's a good Christian because he goes to church and does his prayers, he's hardly a Christian. Harsh words but true ones.

Which all is no excuse for lazy believers who prefer to stay home or have a picnic on Sunday! :flaming: ;)

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The church never cared for the poor, what makes people think it's different in this day and age ?

In the dark ages, when people were starving, the leaders of the church had plenty of everything. And they didn't share any of it. If i wanna make donations to help poor, hungry or homeless people, i'll donate it to the proper organisations, and sure as hell not to any church.

12. Volsung Gems: 14/31

Exactly, what I'm trying to say. ;)

But I don't know. Probably your Church and your churches are different(to the better) from the ones here in Greece.

13. chevalier

Media:
    Yes, quite different. Roman Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity are close but not identical. However, God is one and the Church is one... To some extent it is one still despite the partitions. When I was in Greece I prayed in an Orthodox church and God was no less there than in a Catholic one.

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Alex the Great

You, actually, were the one who misunderstood me. I was agreeing with you. I said that way of thinking was ridiculous and "like you said, just going doesn't make you a good Christian." Calm down, man.

15. archbishop Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I agree with a lot of what is being said here, but one thing that is not being said is that going to church and praying are two concrete examples of faith. I'm not saying that they confer any amount of faith, but they are some of the only things one can point to and prove the existence of. To say "I have an excellent faith relationship with God" is easily enough done, but to prove it is an impossibility. Therefore, all these people can do is use specific actions as a display of their faith. These actions might just as easily be false, but there can be no denying that they exist.

As far as money is concerned, I give to the church every week (except for the past two weeks because I have not been carrying much cash with me, and they don't take credit cards....yet :D ). I have my own beliefs on why this is the right thing for me to do, but for the sake of the current argument, it is one further concrete sign of faith that can be pointed to.

However, I don't understand the anger you are expressing. Is it due to suspected hipocrasy within these churchgoing folks?

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

some do ...

17. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My personal view is, some people go to churches on a regular basis, have always "Jesus" on their lips and couldn't be farther away from christanity or any principle it stands for.

Whereas some others do it do be in the traditional community, there always have been in. And are nice and decent people.

18. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Why do people have a problem with churches asking for money?

Books do not magically get printed and churches are not magically erected. Most churches enjoy music...which costs money to maintain. Microphones...more money.

Wait...you want to go to the bathroom at church...well plumbing and plumbers cost money.

Your denouncing an institution because it costs it's average practitioner one to five dollars a week while providing a place for the community to gather and just be together in a positive manner.

But never mind my rather short soapbox...I can't wake up on time on Sundays. Plus there are just too many elderly at my church. It seems like the ages go from little children...skip...parents of the little children...skip...the elderly.

19. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

I would go much more often if it wasn't so damn boring. I don't think you need to go to church to be a good christian. If you know you believe, you've already praised God. It's that simple.

20. chevalier

Media:
    The thing is not to believe in God (lots of satanists do), but to believe God.

Basically, if you won't sacrifice a mere hour or two each week, what will you sacrifice then? Of course one might instantly repeat: whole life. Who life of living by God's rules. But would one really mind an hour a week if he really did live so?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.