1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

God Damn Shadow Dragon...neeeed hellllppp!!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tommyboy, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Tommyboy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am having a hell of a time killing this dragon. I've tried haste/defense/strength and melee.....I've tried fireball/cloud kill/flamestrike.....and i can not kill him. He gets to badly injured and by that time i have my main guy left, and thats it. I don't have the spell "lower resist" so please don't say to use that, unless you know where i can find it. Does anyone have any advice?? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

well first who do you have in your party and what levels are they? i never had trouble with the shadow dragon, though i always had to mages with lower resistance when fighting him ;p

3. mountain-mike Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I don't know about lower resistance, but there's a post around somewhere talking about using the cleric spell Magic Resistance on the thing. This sets the MR to 20% + caster level modifier. Haven't tried it yet myself, but plan to give it a go this evening. It presumably has the added advantage of not upsetting 'our friend' before you start making dragon steaks.

4. Tommyboy Gems: 1/31

Well, i have fighter/mage (my main char.) lvl 10 fighter, 11 mage.
    Mincs: lev 11 or so
    Anomen: lev 11
    Korgan: lev 10
    Valygar: around same
    Jan: 10 thief 11 mage

I don't have lower resistance. I wish i did. Where did you guys find that spell? Are there any other strategies other than lowering his resistance somehow? It seemed like "cone of cold" hurt him a little, but that may have been a missrolled save or something. Keep replying guys, i need suggestions. Thx.

5. Grumblebelly Gems: 2/31

Pick up Yoshimo and start setting some traps. And Lower Resist is worth it. Head to town and get it for your mages. Try summoning some monsters to help out as well. Apparently the stone only partially works for hiding summoned critters. That shadowdragon didn't attack them, but he cast death spell on them. So summon something crappy first so he wastes the spell.

You can also come back to the dragons later. My party was around level 13 when we snuffed him.

6. Ciller Gems: 2/31

I killed the shadow dragon at a lower level then you. Took me 3 tries. First try was for fun, died right away. Second time I almost did it, lost two guys. Third times the charm! and got him easily. This is what I did. I first summoned fire elementals, then summoned some more with my staff of fire. I chanted, blessed, and hasted all my characters, also any sheild spells or whatnot was used. I left my elementals behind and set up around the dragon, with a person at every compas point so he cant wind buffet all of them at once. I had my archer off to the top of the screen and Aerie off to the left. In addition, I used potions of deffense and strength on Minsc and Mazzy (before I got rid of her). Yoshimo sucks.. but I used him to. I didnt have lower magic resistance, so I thought I would use dispell magic or breach, dont know if it helped. Anyways, I had my elementals come in, they get attacked automaticaly. While distracted, my fighters begin to hack away and jaheria starts to call lightining bolts. They look awesome against the dragon, and it works well. My archer flings arrows and my mage casts Doom, and any other offensive or deffensive spell I could think of. Took him down without losing health on anyone but minsc, and he had potions of greater healing.

As a side note, I decided to take on Firkraag at lvl 10/11 (well Yoshimo is a lvl 16 bounty hunter.. but he sucks). Everyone said this guy is hard, and he is.. but not that hard. My first attempt at him I only lost 2 people before he fell. Poor aerie was the closest person to him after a wing buffet and got blasted with his fire breath (sigh) I decided to leave him and come back at around 12-13 just so the fight is less of a challenge and more fun.

Hope that helps.. hehe.

Ciller

7. Tommy Boy, I ran into the same problem. The Dragon is blue until you start talking to him, so I just stood back a little ways and would cast all the protective spells I could think of. I summoned monsters, animals, skeletons, I cast dispell and miscast magic, I fireballed him, cloud kill, stinking cloud, every spell I have.

Then, after about 5 reloads, I just cast haste, bless, and chant on everyone, had my 3 melee fighters drink strength potions, equipped everyone with thier best melee weapon, and rushed him. He died in like 3 seconds! I was even able to go upstairs and take out the Shadow Lord before the haste wore off!

So I think speed is definitely the key here. Don't waste time casting spells, don't bother to summon monsters (he killed 3 big bears instantly, and my earth elemental just wound up attacking me). Just drink any giant strength potions you have to boost your maximum damage, and hack away!

Oh, and a final tip (this is kind of a cheeser, but not as much as the cloudkill-from-a-distance CHEAT):
    (while enemy is still blue) Select everyone (=), then select the enemy with the talk option. When they turn towards you, immediately pause the game (space) and force attack. Aparently they are still waiting for you to talk, and will let you pound on them for a few extra seconds before they realize what's going on and start to fight back.
    Those extra few seconds can be crucial when fighting enemies like dragons that deal massive damage very quickly.

Good Luck!!

8. Tommyboy Gems: 1/31

Well, thank you guys for the replies. You've been very helpful. I think i will try throwing all of my ranged magic spells at him first, then i will haste and beef up my fighters and attack him. I will try this when i get home from work. I'll post and let you guys know how it went. This guy was really frustrating me, so i hope this works. Thanks again. :)

9. kbekus Gems: 1/31

Yeah, this is a well tough fight that I managed to win last night (and felt really good about too!).

3 things seem important when trying to kill these dragons... do the defensive magics and the moving about while the dragon is blue.

1-lots of defensive and helpful magic - my fighters were hasted, drank potions of giant strength, potions of clear thinking (to help against fear and confusion), potions of heroism, then cast (protagonist and Anomen) Call upon holy might, bless, chant and anything else helpful to AC. At this point they had AC of around -8 and THAC0 of 3 or 4.

2-arrange melee fighters in a cirle so they cannot all be wind buffeted at once. Fill the gaps with summoned creatures - I had that nishuruu (sp?) that drains spells helping me - he's good because magic cast by the dragon heals him

3-it is very handy to have spells such as breech and the other 5 and 6 lvl spells that kill off magic resistance and defensive spells. This way I eliminated the dragon's stoneskin and protection from magic weapons (seemed very important since then my fighters could hit on 18,19 or 20 and ended up doing 150hp damage between them all).

With that technique I took him down on my third go! Boy it felt good. Once his magic resistance is down cast magic missile and other offensive magics, occasionally they will work. The fighters will be hacking away too. The combination of all these worked for me..
    Kristan

[This message has been edited by kbekus (edited October 20, 2000).]

10. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

tommyboy: you can find one lower resistance scroll in the sewers where the cult defectors are (in one f their chests).

11. Tommyboy Gems: 1/31

Well guys, thx a bunch for all of your help. I beat him. He still took out minx and korgan, but i beat him. Thanks so much.

I have a different problem now. Kangaxx is a bitch! I know everyone has posted on this and ive read all the posts. Everyone says to use the holy avenger sword, the valpor sword, or the ring of ram. Can anyone please spoil me and tell me where to get these. I must have just missed them or something. Thanks in advance.

12. Atraikius Gems: 2/31

Try the Pierce Magic spell if you can't find lower resistance, I had found four or five of them by the time I finally got to the Shadow Dragon, and each time it removes one defensive spell, and lowers the targets magic resistance by the casters level. I had me (7th cleric/12th mage), Edwin (10th), and Yan (10th) all cast that on him while he was occupied with the elementals I had summoned, and after that I didn't have any spells not effect him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.