1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Go vote and get a date (instead of suicide)

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Baronius, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

As opposed to the appearance, this is a political topic (and thus belongs here IMO). More seriously, what campaign videos does the parties in your country employ? Serious, funny, crazy, sexist?

I like this one, you don't need Hungarian to understand it (Hungary, by-election for an MP position for an area):

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I worked as a polling clerk before. Don't remember any of that kind of thing going on though.

While you'd find a bland corporate PR type exercise if you looked hard enough campaign videos don't feature in Ireland at all. Posters of the candidate are plastered everywhere and it's all about the politician personally canvassing as many people as he can with a bit of local media thrown in. As the country is broken up into loads of regions the number of votes required to get in doesn't require using mass media.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Go vote and get laid? Well, it's certainly the sleaziest propaganda video I've seen to date... I can only imagine how many people on the verge of suicide would kill themselves after realizing that they've wasted their time going to vote and that contrary to what the video depicts, no beautiful young women are suddenly showing a sexual interest in them...

Of course, from a purely pragmatical viewpoint, the video's works. It's got sex, and sex sells, especially to young people. Satisfying the lowest common denominator when addressing the youth is guaranteed to produce results, ergo more impressionable (not to mention stupid) young people will vote because they'll associate voting with sex.

On the other hand... :facepalm: Any idiot can sell anything with sex.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That is certainly more racy than any political ad you'll see in the US. And certainly not anything you'd see from the Republicans. Running around and getting laid is not the type of "family values" they have.

It's a tried and true formula though - although not perfectly executed IMO. What they should have done is do it the way we do beer commercials here in the US. The error they made was using a young athletic guy for the ad. Everyone knows the way you sell stuff is to have the men all be average looking, and the women to be smoking hot. Guys with Brad Pitt type good looks are already getting laid on a fairly regular basis by smoking hot women, so they don't need the ad to tell them that. You sell your product by intimating that regular Joes can get smoking hot women to hop in the sack with them. So by that standard it's a bit amateurish.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm at work and I can't access the video. Is the ad targeted at men? Because if not, if might send the message that voting will allow a smoking hot woman to have sex with some homely guy; not much of an incentive to vote. (Now granted, homely guys might be all that women have to choose from in Hungary, but still... :p)

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's hard to know exactly what's going on in the ad, as it's in Hungarian, but you can easily gather just form the video that the guy is contemplating suicide, goes to vote, meets a smoking hot woman working as a polling officer, gets her number, she comes over, and screws him.

My point was that the guy is young, athletic, and pretty good looking himself, so it kind of defies belief that he would have a hard time finding a girl friend before now. The way it works in most commercials (and romantic comedy chick-flicks for that matter) is the guy is typically average looking.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, the women at the polling places that I am sent to are all roughly twice my age (the girl in the video being half my age), have more facial hair than me (the girl in the video being significantly missing such facial hair), look like their various protrusions have suffered from significant gravity on the order of what you could find on Jupiter (the girl in the video, ah, perhaps I'll leave that alone . . . ) and, while I would imagine one or two would be happy to come home with me for a fling, well, I'm just not into grandma sex at this point.

I completely don't understand the suicide angle, and the "rope" looks inadequate to do the job.

The girl was pretty hot though . . .

Just sayin'.

8. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Thanks for the youtube edit Tal, I completely forgot there was such an embedding option.

Yes, it's quite a "funny" propaganda video, so when I wrote that I liked it, I meant it's "entertaining", and not that it will affect seriously thinking (responsible) voters.

I also didn't spend much time for its analysis, but I suppose the story is supposed to be as follows: he wants to write a bye-bye letter before suicide, but his pen is empty, so he goes to get one at the election place...

Very good point. The only reason for the age of the guy might be the following, however: this political party (the negligible successor of a formerly powerful party that ceased to exist 2 years ago I think) expects young people to be its voters, but I am not 100% sure. Generally, you are right that they should address as many people as possible, but maybe this party knows that it has the biggest chance with young people. Nonetheless, a middle-aged man wouldn't have hurt to the video, true. That would have been more (too?) unrealistic then, however. Which girl would jump into the arms of a middle-aged man who has a reason to commit suicide (billionaire or not)? OK, she might not know that in advance, but still...

EDIT: so Tal, it seems that the party who made this amateurish video won't remove Fidesz from his place :p (sorry, sorry, just couldn't resist!)

9. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

It reminds me of this video from a Polish candidate. 23 year old Katarzyna Lenart does a striptease to her bra. So not much of one but it's still hard to take her seriously as a politician doing stuff like that.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Baronius, if that's the best that they can do, probably not. I'm almost tempted to ask you to post a few of Viktor's glorious propaganda pieces for comparison. Almost...

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The rope and insinuated suicidal thoughts of the young man are disturbing to say the least. The idea that you can get a hot girl at the polling station is absurd.

Yet some of the baseline material here is kind of understandable. It is my understanding that when trying to talk someone out of suicide, one technique is to remind them that they have no idea what will happen tomorrow, and therefore even if they see no hope in their future, they should stay alive because the future might just get brighter.

In addition, beer and cigarette commercials have used this technique for years. Drink Brand X of Beer or smoke Brand Y and you'll be extremely manly, and good looking. Hot women in skimpy clothes will cheer for you and want to be with you! YA! Whoo hooo!

The reality is much different, of course.

12. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I don't get why this guy wants to die either ... are we just supposed to assume that as a starting point? "There was this attractive young guy who wanted to die. Then one day, while working on his suicide note ..."

I think the difference between this and beer commercials or buddy movies is projection. Average looking guys don't like to think of themselves as average looking guys, they hold out hope that maybe there are women out there who find them attractive and that they are actually attractive looking guys (because guys are almost universally vain and delusional), so in that fashion they can identify with a good looking guy in an ad by imagining they are him. (If an attractive-looking, young, stylish guy with very cool hair who's got it together enough to still be all those things and still have cool hair while writing a suicide note contemplates suicide, people feel sympathy and alarm. If some loser does, no one gives a damn.)

Also, the ad isn't real world, because the guy would give off a no-confidence vibe to the girl, which is a turn-off. Being as women value abstracts such as confidence as much as looks in men, that would be a deal breaker. Instead she would callously sleep with his roommate, which would push him over the edge. In the real world he would die and not even vote first.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There have been many elections where the thought of voting for one candidate or the other caused suicidal feelings to surface.

I've also felt screwed after voting before.

LKD likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.