1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Go for AC or go with less armor check penalty?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by jeremiah, Jan 9, 2005.

1. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I usually wind up giving all my metal armor wearing characters the magical elven chain you find in the game.

I have the circle of 8 fan patches over the official patches and it has been a blast so far. The reason being that I put all my characters' spare skill points in Tumble and Listen. Granted, you are better off maneuvring your character outside enemies threat range to avoid AoO but there are times when you just have to bypass their area with a character even with your armored fighters. It is usually the attacks of opportunity that gets my characters hurt.

With the large steel/wooden shield fully enchanted and a nice elven chain, the characters only get a -4 penalty for their tumble skill and you can offset that further with gloves of dexterity +6.

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Same here, although I don't bother giving them shields. Usually, a high dexterity and points in tumble are enough to ward off attacks of opportunity, thus allowing characters to either dual wield or use a two handed weapon.

3. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I do agree since the two handers give 1.5 strength bonus to damage. Just that getting the radiant long sword so early and having characters that just don't get enough feats to develop two weapon fighting or going with ranger is hard (I have a pally and barb).

My paladin has an AC of 28 now and has enough hitpoints to withstand a few hits from hill giants (as long as it isn't two criticals in a row LOL).

4. underthewronghat Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

[​IMG] Not sure about the nettiquette factor in replying to old posts, but...

As far as shields go, I've finally found a couple that can be enchanted. -ahem- Obviously I'm not using the Co8 patch, but I've got all the official patches. Anyway, the shields are listed below for any not-yet-Co8 players like me. :rolleyes:

As far as stragedy goes, I've ended up using more shields than I thought I would. My thief (rngr 1, thf 9) uses bracers of AC5, gloves of dex+6, and a wooden tower shield enchanted to +3, and -of course- a ring of protection. I avoided the elven chain because I didn't want to "throw away" the extra dexterity AC bonus. This keeps her AC at 28, and her tumble score is still 18 or so...

As soon as I could make some gaunlets of giant strength, I gave them to my cleric, who was then able to use +3 chainmail and a +2 large shield without being encumbered, but now is using Hedrack's armor & shield...

My fighter has a 16 dex, so he was perfect for the purple elven chainmail. And since I learned the power of the polearm, he uses the ranseur exclusively (hence, no shield)... But I give him the ring of protection +2 because he gets kicked around more, and I hate diverting my cleric to heal him in combat...

My other front-liner is the monk, who does a great job and all, but with so many neat-o weapons and armors that he can't use, I mostly wish I would have gone for another fighter type... :borg:

***spoiler alert***

Otis in Nulb sells a masterwork buckler.

And even though I'm not lawful good, I was able to complete the Paida quest when I got to level 4 of the temple by casting Dispel Magic on her... She joins, you take her back to Wainright in Hommlet, and he says thanks. I refused the monetary reward (I've got way too much money already) and then when you talk to him again, you can ask if he makes shields. He gives you a free masterwork large wooden shield which you can enchant.

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Cool, I didn't know that, might try it next time.

Myself I like to go old school with a dwarf with plenty o' armour and shields. Okay he's slow and has a huge penality to tumble but his AC is really high too so people can't touch him anyway. I think both way are good, it's only a matter of taste.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.