1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Glorious Companions - Dev Interview @ Turn Based Lovers

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Feb 18, 2020.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]The Turn Based Lovers have interviewed the devs of Glorious Companions:

[​IMG]

10 Turns Interview with Glorious Companions Developers

Have you ever thought about how hard life was during the medieval age? Diseases, famines, poor hygiene and a lot of violence: in other words, nothing really pleasant. Now, if this is true, the question is: why videogames and videogamers are so attracted by this historical period?​

In truth, I don't have a real answer but I can't stop asking myself this question.
    I can just assume that the presence of so much violence and the validity of the law of the strongest were the ideal soil for the birth of heroes and legends. And everybody knows that where there are heroes and legends there are also a lot of videogames!​

Anyway, if the medieval age doesn't seem to you tough enough, try to think how hard could be living in a medieval fantasy world, with dragons, orcs and all those horrible monsters.​

Glorious Companions is set exactly in a world like this, a harsh world full of people (and monsters) who live only to kill you. You are wondering what can you do in response?​

It's simple, fight for your own life!​

1st TURN) Someone defined your game as an interesting blend of Mount & Blade and Heroes Of Might & Magic. I've also found many similarities with Battle Brothers. Now tell me, what differentiates Glorious Companions from these games? In other words, which are the original ideas behind your game?

We get compared to Battle Brothers a lot and I agree that both games are in a pretty similar vein, though contrary to what some people think, we started the development of Glorious Companions long before we've heard about BB. To be more precise the first iteration of GC came to life as far as back in 2009.

Anyway, to answer your question:
    First of all, our game features races and classes. Games like Battle Brothers and Mount & Blade has a medieval setting that doesn't allow them to work much in terms of unit variety. In this regard, we are more similar to Heroes Of Might & Magic, but our units are much more customizable and you get to level them up, train them and equip them as you please.

Moreover, because our game is grounded in a fantasy setting, we get to go pretty wild in terms of unit abilities and their design. In Glorious Companions each race has their own resource and magic rules. Additionally, each unit has its own skill tree and they'll only get to equip a limited number of abilities at a time. There's your basic active abilities, passive abilities as well as what we call Master Abilities and Captain Calls. It gives us a whole new facet of gameplay that the other games don't have. Another thing is that our combat system works really well in a multiplayer environment, and it is in fact the real origin for the game itself. Initially, we planned to make a PC wargaming multiplayer game, but we decided to work on a single-player experience first to gain some footing in the genre.​

Fun fact: We got our own internal multiplayer league where everyone gets to play a BO3
    on Friday. You won't believe how feisty it gets, haha.​

[...]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2020
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.