1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gloomy anniversary

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mithrantir, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] As i heard in the news yesterday and tommorow are the anniversaries of the atomic blast in Nagashaki and Hiroshima. Let us all keep a moment of silence for the people who died and still die and make a wish never to see this happen again.
    Peace can be gained through discussion and mutual respect too

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

/me silent

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

US government was/is the most brutal one. Pigs. :mad: Heard that they dropped the second bomb "just" to give a warning... (=> They were ready to bomb millions of more people, 90% of them civilians)

*Below* Somebody, create an topic about this to the Angles! Quick! :mad:

[ August 07, 2003, 15:13: Message edited by: Virne ]

5. Dyacea Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I never knew that. Mithrantir I respect you for taking a moment of silence, and I join you in saluting the victims of the Hiroshima bombs.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

And safeguard the lives of millions of our own soldiers who would have died in a standard attack on Japan.

[EDIT]Darn, Dycea beat me to it. That was meant to make a point to Virne's post[/EDIT]

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    [​IMG] ... :( ...

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    May they rest in peace. It was genocide. Reaction to genocide (47% death ratio in Japanese concentration camps alone), but still genocide in itself.

9. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Let their deaths be remembered forever as a warning.
    In fact, some consider the second bomb as the first act of the cold war (a warning, to borrow Virne's word) more than the last one of World War II.
    Not that it matters to the victims of this atrocity. :(

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    As the grandson of a WW2 veteran I am thankful that the bombs enabled my Papa to come home and have my mother. As horrible as the bombs were, I'm sure an invasion of the Japanese homeland would have been worse for both sides and probably catastrophic to the Japanese.

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Well said Snook.

12. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty one...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Oppenheimer at Trinity (quoting Indian religion)

Now I have become death, the destroyer of worlds.

13. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

INSIGNIFICANCE (Pearl Jam)

All in all...it's no one's fault...
    Excuses turn to carbon walls...
    Blame it on chemical intercourse

The swallowed seeds of arrogance...
    Breeding in the thoughts of ten ...
    Thousand fools who fight irrelevance

The full moon is dead skin...
    The one down here's wearing thin...
    To set up...the ten pins
    As the human tide rolls in...
    Like a ball that's spinning...

Bombs...dropping down...
    Overhead...underground...
    It's instilled...to wanna live

Bombs...dropping down...
    Please forgive our hometown...
    In our insignificance

Turn the juke box up he said...
    Dancing in irreverance...
    Play c3...let the song protest

The plates begin to shift...
    Perfect lefts come rolling in...
    I was alone and far away...hey..
    When I heard the band start playing...
    On the lip...late take off

Bombs...dropping down...
    Overhead...underground...

Bombs...dropping down...
    In our insignificance

Feel like resonance of distance...
    In the blood...the iron lies

Bombs...dropping down...
    In our insignificance
    Oh...in our insignificance

This song reflects quite well my point of view on war. :( :mad:

14. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

I have absolutely no animosity(i think thats the right word) towards the japanese today but the ones who attacked pearl harbor and killed my grandfather definately got what they deserved at midway. The second bomb wasn't supposed to be dropped btw. It was a back up plan in case the first bomb was destroyed in the air.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  15. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

Check you history folks Japan was given a chance to surrender after the first bomb and did not.Hence the second one.But this is off topic.

They had three days to surrender.

It is always a horriable thing when so much life is lost.

16. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You sure? I thought that the Americans doubled up just to ensure the plan went right.
    That we humans have a propensity for self-destruction is true. The invention of newer methods of inflicting pain or death will never end. The Americans were in no way to be blamed for inventing a working nuclear weapon. There are today atleast 8 countries with nuclear weapon manufacturing capabilities, unfortunately including my own. Also the fact that they used it, if it was a military decision, can not be condoned as it was an act of war.
    However it is the specific targeting of civilians that rankles. Also why is it that my history text book does not say anything about the inaction of the Japanese emporer. Answers will never be as important as lives.

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Hrmph...while I'm not saying that the Japanese does deserve it, they have done some pretty horrible stuff. Like when they invaded China. And murdered about 30K people. In three days. Get that, THREE BLOODY DAYS! But still, Atomic Bombs are a pretty harsh punishment for anyone, especially with all those innocents it slew...

It may have been a necessary way to end the war, but definitely not the only way, IMHO. America just comes in near the end and shows off their impressive military and take all the credit.

18. Tigress Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

~ :wail: ~

Don't forget the past, lest history repeat itself.

19. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

With no intention to bring anyone into a bad position i want to stress out that in my initial post i DID NOT mentioned who did that or why was this done. I just wanted to pay tribute to the memories of those who died and still dying from these bombs. They at least deserved that :cry: . That is the reason i did not put this in the AoDA forum and put it in Whatnots. Anyway...

20. Kralizek Gems: 7/31

While I respect your point of view I think that mentioning the victims without mentioning the cause of their deaths diminishes the value of the lesson we should all learn if we really want to pay tribute to them. Regardless of whether you think one or both bombs were necessary or not, I doubt anyone would like to have another atomic be dropped anywhere on this planet.
    Since the tread is in AoDA now, I hope you won't mind this reply...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.