1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ghost Stories

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gaear, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I was just reviewing this thread about the supernatural from a year or two ago and it occurred to me that we don't have a thread specifically for ghost stories here at SP. Surely we should have one, don't you think? Everybody knows at least one ghost story, first or secondhand. Spill! :)

Just to get the ball rolling, Splunge shall volunteer his story from the linked thread. Come in, Splunge ...

Why do I imagine Mrs. X looking like this character from Shutter Island? ;)

[​IMG]

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Good topic Gaear. I've always liked the idea of ghosts. I even had a cat named after them. Unfortunately I have a very strong scepticism gene and have a hard time excepting the idea of ghosts and other spiritual phenomenon. Those reality ghost and monster hunting TV shows drive me crazy with a whole lot of drivel that doesn't add up to one ounce of good solid proof.

But this thread isn't about whether you believe in ghosts or not is it? It's about ghost stories. I've had a few strange experiences that I can't explain. I'll just tell the short one for now. When I was around 10 or 11 years old I decided one night to sleep on the fold-out couch bed in the downstairs livingroom, just for fun. I woke up in the very very early morning and turned to see a kind of effervescent oval shape move past the bed and towards the stairs. It was not the kind of light that could have come from someone carrying a flashlight or shining a light from somewhere, it was just this odd glowing form. It scared the hell out of me and I hid under the blankets for the rest of the night.

My father passed away when I was 10 years old, so if it had been a ghost, my guess is that it could have been him.

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't believe in ghosts but...

1) My mother remembers a night when she was young, that she woke in the night and heard the church bells ringing. Thinking to herself, "Silly, church bells don't ring at night!" she went back to sleep. Next day she learned that her grandfather had died that night. To this day, she still hates the sound of church bells.

2) One of my father's brothers was a sailor. One night my grandparents' neighbors saw him walking through a park in his home town. They remembered this later when they learned that his ship had sunk on that very night, in a winter storm off Norway. (My mother also tells me she saw the announcement of his death in the local paper and thought to herself, "You should have known this man"! This was before she met his brother - my father.)

:mommy:

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You should check out a BBC thing called Ghostwatch from a few years back. It was for all intents and purposes a documentary with known celebrities, supposedly denouncing a haunted house scenario. However they started dropping in 'truly' scary bits, as if it was a seance getting out of hand. There were flashes of ghosts and other things, and the audience could telephone in live and report (which was all the rage at the time). The BBC never really let on to the audience that it was all staged until they had a flood of complaints about it. After they were banned from ever re-showing it. I was only a kid when it was aired, and it freaked my family out. It was REALLY before its time.

But no, I don't believe in the supernatural.

5. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I had a weird experience when I was in France. My mom and her best friend had come to visit and we spent some time in Paris both before and after the main part of the trip (I was living in Angers at the time). On their last day there, I accompanied them to the airport early so they could catch their plane, and then I went into town.

While I was on the train going from the suburb to Paris, I suddenly had this terrible feeling that the plane had crashed and that my mom was dead. I put it out of my mind, since I was pretty sure that was an irrational thought.

When I got back to the hotel later, I couldn't open the door. Then, I heard my mom's voice. She said she'd broken her leg, but would open the door for me. It turned out that a lady fell on my mom's knee on the moving sidewalk. I still wonder if I somehow "knew" that something happened to my mom, and my mind didn't make sense of it, so translated it as plane crash.

Another related bizarre issue is that for the hotel, we kept telling them that it was 3 people for 2 nights, but that one person was staying for a third night (me). They kept repeating that it was 3 for 3 -- which it ended up being.

Luckily, my mom's leg healed, and she's still alive. But it was very strange.

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Not exactly ghost stories but great stories none-the-less. My mom and one of my brothers always has that kind of connection. When he got in a serious car accident my mom knew immediately something was wrong.

-

I mentioned a had a couple of ghost stories earlier in this thread. Here is the second one.

This story began as a dream. Over the years I have had a reoccurring dream of a giant mansion with many rooms. The middle space of the mansion is open and the "hallways" are around the edges with railing on the outside and the wall on the interior where the rooms are placed. From the middle of the mansion you can see about four stories up - kind of like a mall interior.

In these dreams the top floor and the basement always terrified me, and at some point I would almost always end up in either one location or the other. In this particular dream I was in the basement and playing a scavenger hunt type game with some of the people who where part of the most recent season of "Survivor", that year. I separated from the group and found myself in front of a closed closet. It made me nervous but I opened the door anyway and something horrible and terrifying like an evil spirit came out of the closet and closed around me.

I woke up because my husband (this is several years ago) had woken me up. He was swearing into the air and looked stressed. He said he had heard me whimpering in my sleep and turned over to look at me and saw an ugly apparition hovering directly over me. He said the way to get rid of bad spirits is to be aggressive so he swore at it and told it to go away. He also said that he recognized the face of the thing because it looked like the same one he had seen years ago in Mexico.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.