1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting banter to happen?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Do the NPCs have to be "next to" the other NPC they have banter with in order for it to work? I know some of them say to keep them away from them. Like Korgan says about Jaheira. Then there's Mazzy and Valygar(and others). I don't remember if I ever had them apart or "next to" each other??

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As far as I know, time (real-time, as often as not) is a factor, location can be another (some banter is triggered outside, some in the city, some in a dungeon), before or after sleeping, party members, and some other stuff.

But I've never noticed being close to each other (or next to each other in the party sorting) was ever a factor in getting banter or not.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Some banter sequences may include the See(O:Object*) trigger, but I don't think that's often a factor. There are plenty of situational triggers, as mentioned by henkie, but the main trigger is time (fixed game time for scripted sequences, like romances, or random for casual banter).

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I seem to remember the Tweaks anthology mod having a component to make banter happen more often, so you might want to check that one out.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There is a component in G3tweaks that (at least for the original BG2) will reduce the time between the banter.

Also, I'm pretty sure that (at least for most lovetalks) real time was the main factor. But perhaps they changed that to game time in the EE.

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeahl, I recall jaheira's quest having some real-time triggers in it if you romance her, as well as for the final stretch of the romace with Aerie where you get her pregnant.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Some timers use real time, others use game time. Originally, most of them were based on in-game time if memory serves, then they changed them to real time with patches/expansion, and then I think Beamdog changed many back to game time again, although there are plenty of real time timers still in the scripts, especially when it comes to romances. I believe Jaheira had especially long timers set for her romance.

As an aside, I do think that all Beamdog romances use in-game time, at least from what I remember from the last time I looked at their scripts. Maybe it was just BG1 though...

8. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Does your charisma matter at all?

9. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    As far as i know, charisma doesn't factor in at all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.