1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

German classes in Germany

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Enagonios, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I guess this is more for our German SP'ers (Ragusa, etc.) but anyone with knowledge about my question, please reply as well.

I'm currently taking Spanish lessons in Salamanca and will be done at the end of May. I'm now considering taking German lessons somewhere in Germany. Here's my question: what place in Germany would you guys recommend? I'd like to take part in an actual University's "International Student" type of program for a semester or 2 and not just some language school. My main considerations are just cost of living and tuition fees. I'm quite sure that it'd be too expensive to do this in one of the major cities like Munich or Hamburg. Also, what are the "University Towns" in Germany? I'd like to encounter an environment like the one here in Salamanca, namely used to foreigners and with a lot of people in their teens to mid-late 20s. Thanks guys.

Also, for those who do not speak German as their first language but have studied it, I've heard that its quite similar to english and will be easier to pick up if you're a fluent english speaker, is this true or were those people just making it up?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think someone was putting you on. There's next to no similarity and German is several times harder to learn than English.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

argh, the bastard. It was a classmate of mine in my Spanish class last term. He'd been taking German a few months before and said that it was easier than learning Spanish.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I haven't learned Spanish myself, but a few people I know have said that it's much easier to learn than German.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    English is similar to German in the way that they are from the same group of languages, Germanic. I think that a lot of words are near equal and that the language structure is mostly the same.

I don't know, but I am sure that picking up German and English are easier if you're a fluent Dutch speaker.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    Very few words except some basic cognates are near equal (and those that German borrows from English, but they're not proper German words). The morphology doesn't have much in common beyond some basics that most European languages share either.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Perhaps your friend was referring to OLD English, which was a Germanic language and was much more heavily inflected. After the bloody French entered England in 1066 they did a fine job of altering the language. Try reading Beowulf in its original text and you'll see what I mean.

On a side note, I'm bloody envious -- I'd love to study a foreign language in its own country -- you can learn something and then take it to the streets and test it out! Good luck to you!

8. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think it depends on the person, and yes, also on your native language.

There are many words that are similar between German and English, but then there's also words that sound and look similar, but have quite different meanings.

Then there's words that sound *very* similar, though still a bit different. I recall my Canadian French teacher who was trying to learn German (I went to an International School, so we all spoke English between and in most classes. Language classes were the exception, as we had to speak in the language we were trying to learn) asking one day how to pronounce the word "sehr" (which means "very"). He had difficulty pronouncing it right, and always said "Seher". He asked if it really made a difference, and we said yes, because "Seher" means "Seer".

Also, a British English teacher, who back in the UK had taught German to English students, and now taught English to us, told me one thing she had to teach the students was that German had a lot more variation in the pronounciation of sentences. In English this is done too, but not to such a great degree - she said in comparison to German, English had a rather monotonous overall sound. Also, she noticed after having stayed in Germany for a longer time, thus having spoken a lot more German than usual, when she returned to England, she actually had to stop herself from speaking too loudly - Germans indeed seem to speak slightly louder in general, though what the cause of that is, I don't know.

One thing that I know is often difficult for foreign speakers, and English native speakers in particular, is pronouncing Umlaute: Ä, ö, and ü. The French have an advantage in this case, as those sounds are actually quite common in their language, but to a great degree, these sounds are rare, if they even exist, in the English language. And it is difficult to learn to reproduce a sound your tongue isn't familiar with creating (that's why some languages can prove literal tongue breakers for one person, and really easy to reproduce for another person, depending on which language background they are).

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I'm going to have to disagree here. They are both Germanic languages, there are certainly aspects of the languages that are similar. Phrasal verbs, for example, are attested in all Germanic languages. They are often regarded as one of the most difficult aspects of the English language for foreign language learners. If you're in the habit of using the phrasal verb mechanism in English, it will be a lot easier to grasp the process as it is used in German.

Also, German is harder in the beginning, but English is a lot harder to truly master.

In the end, I think exposure is the most important thing. My native language is Dutch, yet my English is far better than my German.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    I was referring to the practical usage today, which has little to do with the historical origins of English. If it wasn't for the fact that the English language was hugely influenced by French (and a whole slew of other languages) in its history, you'd have more of a point. But given what it is today, claiming much beyond the historical connection and various similarities here and there is in my opinion a vast exaggeration. Asking any English-speaking Dutch about the ease of learning German, considering that the Dutch language is closely related to German, is bound to yield responses that it's very similar, but I think that that's a false impression they get because their native tongue is very similar to German.

Try asking someone whose native language is Slavic (or any non-Germanic) and I can almost guarantee you that apart from a few dozen words they will see very little in common between English and German. From the capitalization of nouns to word length, formation, extended morphology, pronunciation, spelling, mandatory use of genders (3!) with nouns and much, much more that you see in German is completely different from English.

So definitely, what your native tongue is will very much influence your perceived difficulty of learning German. I don't know what Enagonios' native tongue is, though.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Really? I thought Belgium was a French-speaking place?

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    No, Belgium is mostly Dutch-speaking. I nicked this from Wikipedia:

Back on topic, as a Dane I have found English a lot easier to learn than German. This could be because I am more exposed to English; living close to Copenhagen. If I had lived in Southern Jutland, I might have found German easier. While my English is a lot better than my German, I have been told that my German pronunciation is almost perfect. :) I have also been asked several times in English-speaking countries whether I came from Germany. :shake:

Some words are the same or alike in German and English but there are vast differences between the languages.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have to jump on the wagon of saying English has quite a lot in common with German. It depends on your point of view though, my native language is Swedish and even though I did not realize it at first it has helped me a lot in learning English and what little German I know. All three languages have the same roots, the basic buildingblocks of the languages are the same. That they then diverge quite drastically is another matter and at a quick glance they may appear vastly different. If you come from a completely different culture, if for example Chinese is your native language you are going to think that the Germanic languages are very similar.

I have studied both German and Spanish and even if German perhaps is harder to master, especially the grammar, it is not that hard for a person with germanic language roots to get a basic understanding of hte language. The ability to slowly read a text, understanding most of it and even be able to understand and produce basic spoken German.

14. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I've read it just fine, and I can't say more than few words in German. :)
    The Germanic influence is maybe greater, but not to a significant extent.

My native language is Serbian (Slavic group), and I have to say that I don't find German and English all that similar. Sometimes I am able to understand certain words in a body of text written in German, based on my English knowledge, or even grasp the concept, but that's about it (for me at least).

I am not saying that there are no similarities, because there are, but I'm not sure how much would knowing English actually help you with learning German.
    Maybe the two languages have a similar grammatical "feeling" to them. I'm not familiar with German grammar, so I can't really say. As for the sound flow... different, definitely.

My father disagrees, as he's always expecting me to translate stuff written in German, just because I speak English. I'm rarely successful. Very rarely.

15. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm going to be the odd ball here (among native Dutch speakers) and agree with Tal. I've always thought that English was, at least in its vocabulary, much more similar to French, rather than any germanic language.

German and Dutch are very similar, and to me Scandinavian languages are almost understandable as being a fairly close relative to Friesian. (Friesian is a sublanguage spoken in the province Friesland in Holland, which seems to have linguistic links to Scandinavian, Dutch and some English as well.) English doesn't quite fit in with these languages for me, except perhaps when looking at Friesian.

If you want to learn German, it'd be a big plus if you could speak Dutch, but I doubt there are very many other languages which will help you understand German better.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Remembering back -- WAYY back to my languages classes, IIRC English is historically a language from the Germanic branch of all Indo-European languages. However, exposure to other Indo-European languages from other branches (particularily Romantic languages influenced by Latin) has restructured modern English into something far, far different than its Germanic roots.

I would agree with Uytuun when she said that it is easy enough to get some basic English but true mastery is a different kettle of fish altogether.

17. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    I just knew you were going to react. :shake:

So was I and as I have shown with the phrasal verb example, the germanic roots of English still show in contemporary language use...practical use always has to do with origins and evolution.

I think you overestimate the influence of foreign influences on English. There is a reason why they call it a Germanic language and not a Romance one. Sure, English and German seem rather different when compared to Dutch and German, but when you take a step back and look at it from Enagonios's point of view (IIRC his native tongue isn't one of the Gemanic languages) there are important similarities. The differences are probably mostly situated in the lexicon because that part of a language changes relatively easily. Then again, vocabulary is also relatively easy to learn. Other aspects of language (e.g. syntax, tense system etc.) are waaaay more fixed and also tend to be harder to grasp when your native tongue is a non-Germanic one. Ergo, when you're already familiar with those concepts from English, you'll have an easier time picking up German.

I think you underestimate my ability to detach from personal and practical experiences. ;)

Also, I'm Belgian.

That's just scratching the surface of the language you're doing there. I never said that they were insanely alike, but English has enough in common with German for it to be helpful to a non-Germanic native speaker that seeks to learn English.

An yeah, DotW, I live in Flanders. My dialect is in fact somewhat similar to English in that it is a Germanic language that is rather heavily influenced by French (and English, in fact) on some levels (again, mostly lexicon).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  18. Taluntain

Media:
    And my point is that phrasal verbs alone are going to help you j. s. when it comes to German overall. :D

Yes, and the reason is historical roots of the language. A language doesn't get reclassified due to a few hundred years of a nation's occupation, no matter how far-reaching the changes during that time are. And I've listed a bunch of areas in my post which are not vocabulary-related. Oh, and my knowledge of English has helped me very little when I was learning German.

You can't "detach" from your native tongue (whichever it is). It's embedded in your subconsciousness and you use at least parts of it in your mind if not orally at all times. There's no on/off switch for language recognition in your brain.

And you're not even coming close to scratching it then. If you're trying to convince me of any significant similarities, you'll have to provide some more examples than just some cognates and tense similarity (which is hardly much of a similarity, given that it's similar in most European languages, so hardly something exclusive to English or German).

Given the peculiarity of your native language and dialect, it is very likely that you went about learning English and German very differently from someone with a non-Germanic native tongue, to whom many of the differences that I've listed will represent an obstacle to learning German and make it quite obvious very quickly that even decent knowledge of English isn't going to help them with German.

How someone with a non-Germanic native language goes about learning German isn't just my opinion, it's my personal experience as well. But no one needs to take my word for it, you can always see for yourself. ;)

19. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    I will answer this later, but one thing I definitely wanted to add now is that even the vocabulary isn't that different. Just some random ones:

bed-Bett
    lamp-Lampe
    family-Familie
    star-Sterre
    paper-Papier
    mother-Mutter
    father-Vater
    book-Buch
    card-Karte
    fact-Fakt
    process-Prozeß
    house-Haus
    child-Kind
    oil-Öl
    warmth-Wärme
    hour-Uhr
    milk-Milch
    bread-Brot
    sand-Sand
    to sing-singen
    to dance-tanzen
    to cook-kochen
    to see-sehen
    to drink-trinken
    the colours (rot, weiß, gelb, blau, grün...)

and the list goes on...

Note that even if the vowels are sometimes different, the consonants are the same...they frame the word. There is a historical explanation for this, but I should really go to bed now. Anyway, I think you guys can see the similarities.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Um, I said besides the cognate words... a few dozen similar words is ultimately very little help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.