1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

George Galloway 1 - 0 Senate [BBC news link]

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Mr Writer, May 18, 2005.

1. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Video Link [BBC]

The First 4 minutes are boring, going through the key evidence and so on, normal stuff, but by 10 minutes he's destroyed them, by the 45 minutes only one question slightly troubled him.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just goes to show that the bullshit that the Bush administration has been and still is blinding the American people with can only really work and be supported as long as it stays on the lips of American politicians and fanatic supporters of the Bush administration, without anyone being given a chance to refute it. Galloway has now shown how easily it can be exposed for the pack of lies and the smoke-screen that it truly is.

I'm only sorry that after this scatching defeat of the attempt at lynching Galloway, the American public probably won't be given a chance to witness anything as humiliating to the senate or the Bush administration again. If hearings such as this one were routinely held before the senate, it'd be much harder to fool the majority of Americans into blindly accepting the propaganda that the Bush administration and its devoted supporters are feeding them.

[ May 18, 2005, 17:27: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sadly I have to agree with you, Tal. It can take a long time for information to get out to us. We may have a free press but sometimes I wonder where their priorities are.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Galloway was quite remarkable in this exchange. It's good to see someone stand up to these "people." There is so much misinformation in this country right now (what Tal has termed BS) that hardly anyone can tell fact from fiction any longer. These are foul times.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hell, they didn't see it the first time - never mind again. You wouldn't believe how obviously the news glossed over this story, and how (Fox especially) went to great lengths to portray Galloway as a toddler throwing a tantrum. Sadly, most Americans rely on word of mouth for their news, or at best, watch their 30 minute local news broadcast at night. Neither of those sources did this story justice.

I just logged on the MSNBC, and did you know there isn't even a link to this story anymore on the front page? Of course there are several links to the release of the Star Wars movie. It seems like the news anymore goes to great lengths to sensationalize events that are complete non-stories. For example, in the last week or two, the biggest stories have been (in no particular order) the idiot flying his prop plane too close to the White House, the runaway bride, and Michael Jackson's court case. None of these things affect the lives of average everyday Americans one iota. However, things like this, which Americans should think is important, get very little press.

It's like the news will spend the most time on things that aren't necessarily important, but that people will find entertaining. I don't give a flying **** why that idiot flew his plane so close to the White House, but once it was determined that he wasn't a terrorist, had no plans to harm anyone, was flying a small prop plane that probably couldn't have done much damage even if it did fly into a building, and he wasn't shot out of the skies, it became a non-story. To me the most interesting part of the story was that Bush was out on a bike ride during this, and didn't even know the White House had to be evacuated until after he got back.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I almost posted a thread on this yesterday afternoon - but had to revise instead :sosad:

However, now the topic's up and running, I have to applaud the superb, barnstorming performance of Galloway... A politician I had very little time for, until now. For someone to face down Whitehouse inquisitors with such chutzpah was commendable; the fact that his refutations hit home with such potency - remarkable. If it's true that the Americans aren't getting to see this, it's sad, not least because this is Westminster-style debate at its most powerful. I doubt the chair of the committee had ever seen anything quite like it. Full-flowing, counter attacking refutations of all allegations, with nothing sticking. Even the one moment of awkwardness - a question about Respect party funding - was handled with aplomb.

Mr. Galloway goes to Washington - and kicks ass! :grin:

7. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Aye, its times like this I'm glad we have a history of real debate in the commons. Shame more people don't watch Parlimentary broadcasts, of particular note recently was Howard teasing blair.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What I don't understand and would like explained to me is:

What business is it of the US senate what a British subject is doing or has done?

I have not seen anything that indicates that it took place in the US or subject to US law. If I am wrong please enlighten me.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I wondered this, too Nakia. I guess it's something to do with the oil vouchers (or whatnot) being distributed by Saddam inappropriately - they were supposed to be for food for the populace etc., but many went "walkies". I'm guessing as most of that money came from the US is why they're the ones trying to track down what happened to it.

Mind you, this is merely what I've pieced together from a few media reports, so if anyone out there is better informed, feel free to correct / elaborate on this.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Good ol' George! Keepin' it real for the Brit massive! :lol:

11. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Barmy, RESTECP!

Still, nice to see Galloway taking them to task.

Knockout indeed.

12. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hmmm... I'd still wait to give this story a bit more time...

From the Scotsman: Galloway bluster fails to convince Senate

From the Guardian: 'I am not, nor have I ever been, an oil trader'

This hardly seems to me like a victory of contentious British parlimentarianism over the staid US Senate...

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Seems as if the Senate accusation against Galloway are a warm-up of the older allegations against him in the Daily Telegraph. The Telegraph documents then were allegedly found in Iraq's foreign ministry by investigating journalists of the Daily Telegraph - after the US troops left.

Foreign intelligence services and enemy files are an interesting matter. The German Navy war files, now approx 50 years after WW-II, are still in British and US hands. One of the first thing the CIA did after the fall of the Berlin Wall was to steal the Stasi archives which are now in Langley, Virginia. I can't see why in the case of Iraq the US would have acted different.

Now the US invaded Iraq and seized the ministries, but overlooked Iraqi secret documents, only for some unlikely journalists to miraculously find them? Such a chance - I mean, usually you'd expect interested services to seize and throuughly search such a bulding and not to leave until finished.

The whole story then already had written 'plant' in neon caps on it.

The Telegraph documents then, somewhat unsurprising, turned out to be crude forgeries and Galloway was able to rebutt every single point the Telegraph made.

Senate's 'new evidence' was found in Iraq's oil ministry - after the miracle of the Telegraph documents, the same miracle again! Curioser and curioser ...

In all other essentials, the allegations made by the Senate committee are the same as those originally outlined in the Telegraph articles that resulted in Galloway being awarded £150,000 in libel damages and £1.2m in costs, though an appeal against the high court ruling in his favour is still outstanding.

I presume Mr. Galloway's opposition against the sanctions must have made him some enemies, who seem to own a laserprinter.

More in this in this article in the Guardian.

[ May 18, 2005, 23:45: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I find that comment interesting because it was not a trial and Coleman stated as much at the onset. As I commented earlier, there has been much misinformation....

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Bion, try watching the whole thing yourself. Galloway did evade answering a couple of questions directly, but they were really minor ones of little overall importance beyond his personal opinion. Everything major the lynch mob set out to accuse him of, he's disproved.

Nakia, Galloway chose to appear there voluntarily, because his accusers have found in him a convenient scapegoat to fuel the hate towards the UN. He appeared there basically to clear his name which has been dirtied by the Bush administration based on forged documents, false allegations and outright lies. All the right-wing websites have painted him as the devil, of course parroting the propaganda against him as the truth and nothing but. The whole concept of innocent until proven guilty is apparently long gone in the US. These days the modus operandi of the Bush administration is to spill out as much propaganda, lies and unproven accusations as possible, and then see if the person whose name is set out to be destroyed can dig themselves out of all the crap thrown at them. Galloway's obviously had enough of that and decided to face the lynch mob head-on, for which he should be applauded.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Boy did Galloway let 'em have it. Senator Coleman looked like a little boy.

17. Nakia

Media:
    Thank you, Tal. I'm not a lawyer so any comments I make are just what seems common sense to me.

Stepping away from the issue of whether or not he is guilty of breaking some laws I still don't understand what business of the USA Congress this is. If he broke British laws it is a UK problem; if he broke International laws then it is a matter for an international court.

I do applaud him. :thumb:

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When I told my flatmate about it, he was stunned for a second, and then burst out: "Who the hell do they think they are, demanding from a British national to justify himself in front of the U.S. Senate?!"

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Nakia, attempts at discrediting the UN and anyone associated with it are all the rage in Washington these days. I guess that is all there is to it. You can see and hear it all the time in the right-wing smear and propaganda campaigns in the US media (and it's also all over all the right-wing Bush support sites, and regularly displayed by Bush supporters here on our forums). "The UN is corrupt, the UN is anti-American, the UN hates our freedom & power, the UN was Saddam's friend, etc."

I guess it's a logical consequence for an organization daring to defy the US on something - even without actually being able to achieve anything. But the sheer defiance was reason enough to launch a US-wide smear and propaganda campaign aimed at the UN and anyone involved with it in some way. Bolton's assignment is merely the latest step in Bush's making clear that the UN will have to pay dearly for daring to defy him, and that the US has nothing but utter contempt for the UN, which dared to say "no" to the Iraq invasion. The UN is considered useless by the Bush administration, because the whole world could see clearly enough that all that really matters is who has the biggest guns and is willing to use them, consequences be damned. Shoot first, ask questions later style. The only problem is that this stubborn UN isn't willing to see the world in light of that philosophy, so it must be discredited - by any means necessary.

This isn't to say that the UN doesn't need reforming, far from it... but the US has no interest in that. The only interest the US currently has is in destroying the UN, so that no one would be able to stand in the way of the US and its interests again.

Anyway, sorry for going a bit off-topic here, but I see this Galloway affair as directly linked to the US's attempts at discrediting the UN, so closely related.

20. Nakia

Media:
    I understand what you are saying, Tal. However at the risk of offending every Bush supporter I have to make this comment.

I think it is stupid and is setting a baaaad precedent. If we can attack citizens of other countries then we can be attacked. To go even further: I wonder who will survive this sort of thing. The US credibility can't sink much lower. Even Blair is going to have to rethink his relationship with Bush.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.