1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gaming music

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by idoru, Nov 10, 2001.

1. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If you aren't listening to the game's own music, what do you like listening to when playing? In BG2 the music actually serves a purpose, so I usually leave it on, but in BG1 I prefer turning that off and listening to a cd. Try something with Miles Davis, you'll never look at BG1 the same way again :cool:

2. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

well, it depends what i am playing, when playing theif, then you need to listen to hear if someone approaches, if playing civilization 2, then something conquery, ie wagner, bach, djorak. BG1 i listen to jazz, BG2 i just listen to BG2

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] What the heck? You guys don't listen to the music in BG1?!?!?! I think it's better than the music in BG2, (although ToB gets back to the level of goodness that was started by BG1). Why don't you like BG1 music? It's good stuff.

I always listen to the games music, why would I listen to anything else?

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Uh, I always listen to the game music when I'm playing. If it's total crap, then the game is right next to total crap, so I wouldn't be playing it in the first place.

Atmosphere is 50% of a game. If you're not into the game, where the hell are you?

5. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Well I don't know.. the music in bg1 gets.. umm, dull. It's never dramatic, it's just somewhere in the background where you don't notice it too much. Muzac almost. So, in such a game, where the music, imho, doesn't really add to the atmosphere, listening to a cd can be great... I wouldn't listen to the radio while playing, obviously, but if you choose cd carefully, you can often do way better atmosphere wise than the designers.

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm always picking on my friend because he's listening to his silly mp3s instead of the game music. You have to listen to the game music when you're playing the game! There is no other way you can live yourself into the game. No other music fits better than the original.

7. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

When I'm playing BG1 I usual just leave the sound on some what then listen to it's usual Linkin Park. It kinda goes with BG1 some how...

8. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I almost always listen to the game's music. IMO, it sets the mood of the game, and is used effectively. The only game I don't listen ot the ingame music for is UT, because the music is that gets irritating after hearing it many many times.

P.S., the music for ToB was amazing. :D

9. Me? I just listen to whatever is on my mp3 list. But I like to listen to music when it's raining... And the BG2 main music.

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I listen to the game music. If it is lame, then I shut it off. Playing other music when roleplaying interferes with the atmosphere. Would you wear a cd player to the movies?
    Great game music:
    Ultima Underworld, the Sygian Abyss (reused in Master of Magic). When I played Master of Magic and heard this music, my skin crawled.
    X-COM (1 and 2), especially night missions. Freaked me out.

11. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I usually listen to the game music when playing, but every so often, it simply does not fit the mood. When this happens, I usually load up the Braveheart or Batman Returns soundtrack and that usually does the trick.

On another note, whenever I run a D&D or Starwars roleplay session I usually play CDs that echo the mood of that session. If its an action packed event I usually put on tracks that go with it: Braveheart battle music, Carl Orff, Rogue Spear tracks, etc.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Nightwish, Blind Guardian... Or the Warcraft 2 game-music that I have on cd.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Headbanger, you know good music!

Nightwish rules! I saw them in a music festival last summer... the people went crazy and the athmospere was amazing...

On the note of game music. It's the game music for me. Int BG2, the music is really good. I rember playing X-Wing Alliance and having broken sound card. So I dug up my SW soundtrack and listened to it...

Game music should be gaming music.

Ara
    (Music critic when she feels like it...)

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

You are right. I always try to let the style of the game and the music match. So for fantasy-games I listen to music with fantasy-lyrics or fantasy-style, like the bands I mentioned. Nightwish is indeed great and from your country, you are lucky to have seen them live :)

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, I replace bard's "harp acord" with music I like. In fact, you can replace all music in games made on Infinity Engine with ordinary wavs you like. But in Planescape:Torment I never touched the music. It is IMHO the best music in all of the games SP covers.

But if you ask me what game had the best music in my whole "gamer" career, my vote is on Sea Dogs. Please, don't buy that game, it has too much bugs so majority of quests are hardly finishable. If someone's interested in the music I'll mail them a score or two from that game. Anyway, the music is played by Moscow Orchestra (russian yes). So Shralp :p :p

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Nay, I still choose for Warcraft II as best game music. The music just fits so well in the game.

17. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I love Russia.

Ok, so I think Russian Orthodox Patriach Alexy I is a weirdo for appearing in Lukoil commercials, but Russia is one of the countries I want to visit.

I'm actually involved in raising money for the Roman Catholic Church in Russia.

So listen on, Extremist, m'boy. Just don't switch to French. Yuck.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.