1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game recommendations for CRPGs

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK, I'm looking to try something new and am looking for some opinions/help on finding. Games I like are listed below. I prefer CRPGs, Medieval/Magical settings and like the Infinity engine game view, though I will play anytype really. I prefer games that allow you to create a party or add members to your party.

Games I play/own...

Any CRPG D&D game
    Wizardry Series
    Ultima Series
    Daggerfall/Morrowind
    Wizards & Warriors

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    You can play Dragon Age from a top down perspective if you want. Some people don't like the game (and the hype was certainly to blame). It has a few flaws but I like it a lot.

Seeing that you're an old pnp D&D/Rolemaster enthusiast you may enjoy it.

After all it does have quite a few things in common with the old IE games (probably more than most would give it credit for).

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tried it briefly, the neighbor's kid has it. Looks kinda cool, but I usually avoid flashy graphics. It's the "old-school" in me I guess. Though I know down the road I will probably play it.

4. Caradhras

Media:
    I can't honestly think of anything else. The last few years have been rather uneventful as far as fantasy CRPGs are concerned...

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I haven't played this game myself, but perhaps Drakensang is something you would like to try?

Caradhras likes this.
  6. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I've played Drakensang and it's not bad. It's refreshing in some aspects, but rather dull in others and has rather modern graphics too. If you're not familiar with the PnP system the game was based on, it might take a bit to work it out and the character tends to travel rather slow (not sure if that was patch fixed). (Also, a lot of actions in game take "realistic" times to complete - skinning animals for example. Crafting skills are useful.)

Pre-created NPCs join your party. You can learn more about them but there isn't much emphasis on party interaction.

It's a fun game, overall. Not breathtaking, but good. Few locations, world map plot travel only, no exploration.
    Has a rather nice optional rat dungeon... with a twist.

You might want to take a look at Spiderweb software games.

Not Medieval (well, there is magic and swords...) but the Geneforge series is rather snazzy (good story). Same company did Avernum series and Nethergate.

Caradhras likes this.
  7. Caradhras

Media:
    Drakensang is based on Das Schwarze Auge the German pnp RPG!!! I used to play that game when I was a kid. I loved it. It was simple in comparison to D&D but really fun.

I think I may have to get it now. Thanks for the tip Lore! :)

8. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Have you tried the Might and Magic series? Those games are quite dated graphically, but they're still great games. Kinda like the old Elder Scrolls games.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    But with a party! :D

The M&M games are great if you don't mind first-person party games. 1 and 2 may be a bit hard to get into, but UI and graphics are much improved starting with 3. 3-6 are my personal favourites.

When you say "any CRPG D&D game" I assume that includes both all the oldies (Gold Box and so on) and newies (NWN2 and expansions)?

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Might and Magic is awesome. Enough said.

12. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Take a look at Eschalon: Book I and II by Basilisk Games. They are proper classic CRPGs with an isometric view and turn based combat. You have to play solo, so no party unfortunately, but in the second game you can choose your gender!

13. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Yeah, check out that gog.com deal on the front page. Arx Fatalis is included in that deal. This lesser known RPG plays alot like Morrowind. It's shorter than Morrowind, but it's got a nice story in there. It's pretty cool. The only problem I have with the game is that it suffers graphical errors on newer PCs but a quick google search should clear those up.

14. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Betrayal at Krondor comes to mind. Since you like old-school games. Looks abit like might and magic, when you travel around, but when fighting you get a battlemap, and the fights are turn based. The game is pretty free form, and its HUGE. Takes well over 100 hours to complete. You don`t get to create your own party in it though. You have 3 characters in your party, wich ones you have depends on wich chapter of the game you are currently at.

Small trivia about the game: Betrayal at Krondor was the first game to have a quick save function (aparantly).

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Not a fantasy setting but Mass Effect 1 and 2 were some of the most awesome games I've played in a while. Excellent voice acting and it almost felt like a "choose your own adventure" movie. And I usually hate space/scifi stuff.

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Knights of the old republic might be ok for you as well. Star Wars technically being space-fantasy, and not sci-fi. Plays alot like dragon age though.

17. Blades of Vanatar

I have played the Realms of Arkania series, lots of fun. Tried Divine Divintiy once, didn't care for it.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 38 seconds later... ----------

KOTOR is something I haven't tried? What engine is it similar to?

---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 55 seconds later... ----------

I will have to check those out as well. Thanks Erod!

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 28 seconds later... ----------

The enitre M&M series has been conqureed by Blades.:D Great games going back about 23 years to part I for me. Wish they would make more games like those.

18. Caradhras

Media:
    Kotor uses the D20 ruleset in a Star Wars setting (IMO this ruleset is not really suited for Star Wars) and you move around with the keyboard and look around with the mouse (basically the opposite of NWN but there are similarities) in many ways Jade Empire and Dragon Age are similar to Kotor (as far as controls are concerned).

Kotor itself is a nice game (just make sure you avoid spoilers). The Star Wars atmosphere makes for a nice diversion. Some quests are a bit lame though (a few look recycled from BG and don't make much use of the Star Wars setting but most are ok).

It's a fun game (probably overrated among CRPG fans) but it's definitely worth playing. It's not fantasy though, but as Rawgrim pointed out, Star Wars is not a pure scifi setting either.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Carad - Is KOTOR a single player, non-party game? Or like BG, make a character and find others to tag along?

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Single player, you have a party which waits on your ship that you can talk to at any time, when leaving the ship you can pick two to travel with you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.