1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game crashes when resting outside

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elfen Lied, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

my game crashes when resting outside in the open.

it kicks me out of the game without much of an error message, just the standard program has performed an illegal action and must be closed.

anyone got any ideas?

its not too big of an issue, assuming i ca nfind a nearby room or tavern to hold up in, as it seems to be fine when im inside somewhere, just not outside.

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Corrupt outdoor sleep animation maybe. Can you play the movies outside of resting (there's a 'movies' button in the SoA menu that lets you choose between single and multi player).

[edit]corrupt dialogue might also be to blame, though I'm not 100% sure this could crash the game -I'm thinking that some npc's have dialogues that trigger when you sleep outdoors but not in (ie Jahiera).

[ October 14, 2007, 13:17: Message edited by: Stu ]

3. Elfen Lied

I can play the movie, so maybe its corrupt dialog. so what do i need to do to fix it?

4. Stu Gems: 20/31

What mods do you have installed and what npc's are currently in your party? Also are you romancing anyone? You could try looking up npc dialogues using infinity explorer - if any of those files are unopenable you should be able to see it.

A reinstall *should* fix it all (im not that much of an expert on this type of thing), just be aware that if you want to use your current save you should install all mods in the same order as you did last time.

5. Elfen Lied

ill take a look. probably something to do with Viconia romancing her at the moment.

If i load another game from months ago with viconia in the party, which is roughly at the same point in the game there is no issue, and ive not changed anything, patches, fixes or mods.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31

Ok, then my only guess then would be something to do with an npc script or dialogue, that only triggers when sleeping outdoors.
    I have little to no experience with global variables and the like, but....

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("ViconiaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)

should kill the romance with Viconia, try using it and then rest, but don't save (unless you're ok with a bung romance). If it doesn't crash then the problem is likely to have something to do with the romance, and if it still crashes...then it must be something else :( .

a few more miscellaneous questions
    1. Who do you have in your party at the moment
    2. what mods/fixpacks have you installed?
    3. Have you got the latest patch?
    4. Is ToB installed
    5. what chapter are you up to and what areas have you tried resting in outdoors
    6. what part of the Viconia romance are you up to?

[ October 16, 2007, 10:19: Message edited by: Stu ]

7. Elfen Lied

i have the latest patch, TOB, my party consists of Korgan, Viconia Edwin, a thief i made and my Paladin PC.

im in chapter 2, ive tried resting in the cities, outside de arnise hold both before and after i was given the keep as a stronghold, umar hills, winspear hills, temple ruins, druid grove.

Im up to lovetalk 21.

as for mods here is my weidu file.

~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #2 // Unique weapons (bolas and katars)
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #3 // Throwing Spears
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #4 // Wizard Slayer kit MR bonus (8% + 4%/level)
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #5 // Priest of Oron Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #6 // Priest of Lahan-Riyashal Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #7 // Priest of Thieron Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #8 // Priest of Cathoun Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #9 // Priest of Yathar Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Priest of Uulix Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
    ~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #12 // New Armour (Scale, Banded, and Field Plate)
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinite Weapon, Potion and Ring/Amulet Stacking
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Multi-Class Grand Mastery
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #3 // True Grand Mastery (extra half-attack, etc.) (Baldurdash)
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth"
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings (etc.)
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, Grand-Mastery, and Arcane, Divine Spell Progression (Blucher)
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #10 // XP Cap Remover
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #11 // Allow Multi-Player Created NPCs to "Wait Here" When Kicked Out
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #12 // Turn Off The Hideous Cloak-of-Mirroring and Spell-Trap Animation
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #13 // Unlimited Bag of Holding (Blucher)
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #14 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash)
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #15 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash)
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #16 // Keep Drizzt's Loot, Disable Malchor Harpell
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #17 // No Drow Avatars On Party In Underdark
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #18 // Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #19 // Shapeshifter Rebalancing
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #22 // Romance: PC can romance one NPC (regardless of race/gender).
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #26 // Low Reputation Store Discount (Sabre)
    ~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #28 // Rest Anywhere (Japheth)
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Kidnapping of Boo by Cliffette
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Suna Seni/Valygar Relationship
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Kalah and What He Was Promised
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #3 // "Cat and Mouse" (Bodhi hunts you in Spellhold) by Ghreyfain
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #4 // Gorje Hilldark and the Extended Illithium Quest
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #5 // The Pai'Na/Spider's Bane Quest
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #6 // Restored Crooked Crane Inn
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #7 // Restored Encounters
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #8 // Artemis Entreri in Bodhi's Lair
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #9 // Corrected "Xzar's Creations"
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #11 // Gorf the Squisher Fix, by Gebhard Blucher
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Item Restorations
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #13 // Yoshimo's Original Portrait
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #14 // Anomen's Original Portrait
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #15 // NPC Portrait Restorations
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Corrected BAMs and Scripts
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Corrected Character Names and Biographies
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Restored Minor Dialogs
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Restored Bhaalspawn Powers, by David Gaider
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Extended ToB Item Descriptions
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Throne of Bhaal Minor Restorations
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Justifier Kit
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #23 // Feralan Kit
    ~SETUP-UB.TP2~ #0 #24 // Sarevok's Remorse
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // General AI Improvements
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Alternative Harper/Xzar Plot
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Extended Reynald Sequence
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #6 // Intrigue In The Copper Coronet
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Rahul Kanakia's Potion Quest
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Revised Hell Trials
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #9 // Improved Oasis II -> IO2 Dialogue & Combat Enhancement
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Saving Sanik In Brynnlaw
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #12 // Burglary Of The Bookkeeper
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #13 // New Fate For The Dryads' Acorns
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #14 // The Tragedy Of Besamen
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #15 // Further Slaver Involvement
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #16 // Sending The Solamnic Knights Home
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #17 // Nazariel The Lich
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #18 // Reward Negotiation
    ~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #19 // Infernal Thievery
    ~SETUP-DSOA.TP2~ #0 #0 // Kensai Ryu's Deeper Shadows of Amn v2.2
    ~SETUP-DSOA.TP2~ #0 #3 // Improved Crypt King
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Ritual (requires ToB)
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #3 // Improved Sahuagin City
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #4 // Improved Bodhi
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #6 // Improved Guarded Compound in the Temple District
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #7 // Improved Twisted Rune
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #8 // "Kuroisan", the Acid Kensai
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Gebhard Blucher's Improved Mae'Var
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #11 // Gebhard Blucher's Lich in the Docks
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #12 // Gebhard Blucher's Improved Demon Knights
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #14 // Kensai Ryu's Gnome Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #15 // Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #17 // Gebhard Blucher's Random City Encounters
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #18 // Kensai Ryu's Random Wilderness Encounters
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #19 // Improved Undead
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #20 // Improved Golems
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #24 // Kensai Ryu's Smarter Vampires
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #26 // Fighter-Class Archer Kit
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #27 // Anti-Paladin Kit
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #28 // Göran Rimén's Improved Nymphs
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #29 // Kensai Ryu's Improved Copper Coronet
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #30 // SimDing0's Improved Oasis
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #31 // Mike Barnes' Improved Small Teeth Pass
    ~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #32 // Mike Barnes' Improved North Forest
    ~SETUP-EDWINTOB.TP2~ #0 #1 // New ending for Viconia Romance by Laufey
    ~GBTHFKP/GBTHFKP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Expanded Thief Stronghold
    ~SETUP-SPELL50.TP2~ #0 #0 // Extend Many Spells to 50th Level
    ~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades
    ~SETUP-ITEMUPGRADE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Throne Of Bhaal Item Upgrades
    ~SETUP-UNDERREP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Underrepresented Items From Icewind Dale 2
    ~CHLOE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Chloe NPC mod v1.2
    ~SETUP-SOLAUFEIN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Solaufein Romance for Baldur's Gate II (SoA & ToB)
    ~SETUP-VALEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Valen
    ~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Kivan of Shilmista
    ~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #2 // Select Deheriana's Class -> Wild Mage
    ~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #5 // Select Kivan's Portrait -> Do Not Install Alternative Portrait for Kivan.
    ~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #7 // Install ToB Portion of the Mod
    ~XAN/SETUP-XAN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Xan NPC MOD for Baldur's Gate II, v4
    ~XAN/SETUP-XAN.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install alternate class for Xan? -> Change Xan's class to Fighter/Mage
    ~SETUP-WILLYB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Willie Bruce v2 (BG2:SoA & TOB NPC) created by nethrin
    ~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn
    ~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal
    ~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // Install TOB Banter Accelerator script? (Increases the frequency of interparty banter)
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Aerie Flirt Pack For SOA
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #1 // Aerie/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Aerie Flirt Pack For TOB
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #3 // Aerie/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for SOA
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #5 // Jaheira/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #6 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for TOB
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #7 // Jaheira/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #8 // Viconia Flirt Pack for SOA
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #9 // Viconia/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Viconia Flirt Pack for TOB
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #11 // Viconia/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #12 // Anomen Flirt Pack for SOA
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #13 // Anomen/Solaufein Romance Conflict For SOA (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #14 // Anomen Flirt Pack for TOB
    ~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #15 // Anomen/Solaufein Romance Conflict For TOB (Solaufein V60 or greater recommended)

guess ill try to cluaconsole thing. see if it makes a difference.

8. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

try uninstalling rest anywhere from EoU...

9. Elfen Lied

seems like it would be something more to it than that, something romance related as they have events triggered by resting but ok ill try that.

EDIT...

unistalled it, and tried resting in trademeet (outside of the mayors house), and it crashed.

must be something else.

[ October 17, 2007, 00:38: Message edited by: Elfen Lied ]

10. Stu Gems: 20/31

Try kicking everyone out of your party and then rest - if it doesn't crash then it's npc related and you can try resting with just 1 party member kicked out at a time until you discover the culprit. This can be used instead of the cluaconsole thing.

Just for future reference, if you have ToB installed, even if you have a problem in the SoA game, it is best to post in the ToB forum - you'll probably get more replies and the problem may relate to a ToB change or feature.

11. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Are any NPCs in your party dead? Try resurrecting them before you rest, it seems this may be the problem.

(For modders, and folks who might be interested in the technical side: from CamDawg's\jastey's\other cool modders' findings, it happens, if their script blocks on rest has an AreaCheck check before InParty()\!Dead\CD_STATE_NOTVALID check. This problem occurs with dream scripts only).

12. Elfen Lied

trouble seems to be with Edwin. not quite sure why. I have the edwin romance mod install, fine enough, but my PC is male. and so is Edwin (again), so im not romancing him or anything, so i dont know what the bug is, if i kick him out, then recruit him again it still crashes.

13. Stu Gems: 20/31

Hmm, any idea how far into Edwin's quest you are? Some of Edwin's dialogue triggers include:
    -having the letter with the evidence about Mae Vear
    -Mae Vear's exposure
    -Mae Vear being dead
    -being in the graveyard distric or near the tombs, killed the nether scroll guardian, possession of the nether scroll, having used it etc etc.

My guess is that it would have something to do with one of the following timers

This code should make it so that Edwin has already reminded you about the importance of collecting the nether scroll
    (Edwin:"We must return to our delving in the graveyard... the Nether scroll... think of it. (Yes, just think of it) The written word of the creator races... (it should be mine.)"):
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("EdwinComplainScroll","LOCALS",1)

If you've already found the scroll and its been ~2 or 4 days (dialogue option dependant), then try
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobalTimer("EdwinScroll","GLOBAL",FOUR_DAYS)
    ....this will postpone it all for another 4 days - Note - do *not* use this if you have not yet found the nether scroll, and would like to do it at some stage

Tell me if either of these work, and importantly, dont save it if it hasnt fixed anything

[Edit]I'm not sure on the details of the romance mod, but uninstalling it and trying to rest would definetly be worth a shot, regardless of your PC's gender.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.