1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game Crashes When I Try To Re-Enter Mortuary...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Cernak, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

After posting several less-than-scintillating questions, I've run into a genuine problem. The game crashes when I try to re-enter the mortuary. Odd, because I've re-entered it twice with no problem at all since leaving it at the beginning of the game. But this time the loading bar sticks for a bit, then the game crashes. I've tried all the dialogue options, tried dismissing the other party members, shut down the game and re-loaded, shut down the computer and re-started: same result. The last crash was very weird. Instead of the usual desktop display with its various icons, I had horizontal bands of jagged lightning bolts, and could go nowhere. Had to unplug the computer. Most likely, I'll never be able to enter the mortuary again and talk to the zombies, but if someone has a solution to this I'd be glad to hear it.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you have the official patch installed?

3. Cernak Gems: 12/31

I have the 2 disc version, which I thought included the patch. If it doesn't, then, no, I don't have the patch. According to the Read Me, I have Version 1.1, which includes the only offcial patch.

What about the fixpack available here? I wanted to play through the first time without it, but if it patches this bug, I'll install it.

[ March 25, 2005, 20:02: Message edited by: Cernak ]

4. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I have had a similar problem once, Where game work perfectlly until i was to enter the mortuary near the end. Reinstall fixed this problem.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Try Platter's patch, don't install the official patch if you have the 2 CD version.

6. Cernak Gems: 12/31

Where can I find Platter's patch? It doesn't seem to be anywhere in the Planescape tools section.

7. Taluntain

Media:
  8. Cernak Gems: 12/31

I've re-installed the game and also installed Platter's fixpack--thanks for telling me where it was, Taluntain--but the game still crashes when I try to re-enter the mortuary. Instead of just crashing, as it was doing; it now tells me I don't have Disc 2 in Drive E. Taking the disc out and putting it back in has no effect.

EDIT: Is it even important to re-enter the mortuary? We all want as much neat stuff as we can get from the game, and it's no fun to pass it by, but I imagine TNO will get along, unless it's essential to go back there sometime later.

[ March 28, 2005, 00:56: Message edited by: Cernak ]

9. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

The Mortuary crash is, as far as I know, always present in the 2-disc version and is unavoidable. There's only one more time in the game where you absolutely need to go into the Mortuary, and you can get there by dying in the Hive when you need to.

10. Cernak Gems: 12/31

How could I forget? Of course there's a way for TNO to enter the mortuary! Thanks, Jhonka.

EDIT: Oops! Not so fast! Had TNO kill himself and instead of going to the mortuary, received the same dreary message: Put cd 2 in drive e (Where it already was). Worse yet, when I try to move to a new area, I get the same message. If the only solution is to wipe everything out and start over, that's what I'll have to do, but I hope someone has a better suggestion. I'll try re-installing again, but without the fixpack.

RE-EDIT: The re-install has only made it worse. I can't even start a new game without getting the same "put in cd 2" message. That is, I can't play the game at all, embarrassing. I thought with a re-install I could at least start over. Doesn't everything go away when you un-install? AAARRRGGHHH!!!

[ March 28, 2005, 05:40: Message edited by: Cernak ]

11. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Hmmm. Seems we experience slightly different problems. When I crashed when trying to get into the Mortuary, the loading bar stopped and I never got any error messages.

As for the re-install not fixing things, all I can think of is that you've got a damaged disc.

12. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Try the trick with copying entire CD2 to your harddrive, edit TORMENT.INI with notepad (or similar), there you should change the path for CD2 from E:bad:CD2 (or whatever you have there) to the path where you copied the files (d:bad:cd2\ for example). Might or might not work, it usually reads better from harddrive, and also faster, if nothing else you will notice if the CD have problem copying some files to the HD.

13. Cernak Gems: 12/31

Thanks, Jhonka. Your "damaged disc" was the answer. I cleaned both discs thoroughly, re-installed, and have entered the mortuary. Sometimes the most obvious is the most elusive.

[ March 30, 2005, 07:53: Message edited by: Cernak ]

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hmm, i have this prob with the 2cd version too. but i just killed myself to get in :D

15. dagon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I had a problem getting in as well , I just killed myself to get in .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.