1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Funny Feeling

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Taluntain, Aug 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    After the departure (physical, if not spiritual) of chev and Uri from the boards, and the loss of our other news posters, plus the disappearance of the new guy that I had high hopes for (ha!), I've been posting the regular gaming news on my own for the last couple of weeks or so. And... it's a funny feeling.

It takes me back to the early stages of SP when I was alone for everything, from the content to the news to the moderation. Over the years this has changed in all respects and this is the first time in many years that I have no one else to rely on for the news. In a way, it's a good thing, because it feels like reliving a fading memory, but there's also this nagging thought that I can't shake that site visitors today simply aren't interested in helping out like they were in the past. Part of this is certainly due to the declining traffic (BioWare/Obsidian are doing a great job at killing off fan communities for their games with their own forums) but I get the feeling that an equally important part is the fact that unlike 8 years ago, when these boards opened, not everyone was as focused on the Internet being solely an entertainment venue as they seem to be today. Thank you, MMOs! This isn't to say that we don't get volunteers every now and then, but unfortunately it usually turns out that their hearts don't really go into news posting (it can be a chore, there's no denying it) despite there being tangible perks to it. And honestly, short of paying people to do it, there's not much else that I can offer. If you don't do this primarily because it interests you or because you feel like you're making a worthwhile contribution, chances are you won't be doing it for long.

One problem with the news posters on our end is the fact that training more or less all of them to the point that they can independently gather/post news without a senior editor's intervention takes a lot of time. Compound this with the fact that most of them don't last long, it becomes a rather futile, taxing task. I've been lucky that over the years I've had a few great editors on the team that have soldiered on for many years (chev certainly stands out here), but all good things come to an end at some point, and his particular one seems to be permanent employment. We all know how badly the world needs more practising lawyers. :D

At this point, I'm also quite wary of taking on any existing members that volunteer (with the best intentions or otherwise) because quite a few of them in the past tended to be regular posters, but once getting bored with the news posting, they usually disappeared completely, never to be heard from again. And frankly, having the news done for a short bit in exchange for losing a member is just not worth it in my book. I don't know if it's guilt or something else that keeps them away afterwards, but it's completely unnecessary as I really bear no grudges. It's impossible to know in advance how anyone will turn out, so I'm always ready for every possible outcome.

Anyway, to get back to the original point of this post, it's an unfamiliar feeling but an issue only as far as it steals my time from various other parts of SP that need my attention - and there are quite a few at this point. I'm working on a number of site-related projects and distractions that all require my undivided attention, and there are only so many hours in a day that can I spare on them. It's odd, because you'd think that after 8 years things would be more or less done or that I'd get bored with them. Nothing could be further from the truth - a true webmaster's job is never done. Don't tell anyone, but some of us love it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.