1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Frontline Basher: Fighter vs. Barbarian vs. Paladin

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, there is a Sorcerer vs. Wizard Topic and I thought why not making some sort of poll about these fighting classes... For me this is the:
    Fighter - He's for me the perfect class... He's strongest master of weapons... Pure Fighter... The perfect class, the toughest and the bad boy... If I could chose what to be my frontliner that definetely will be Dwarven Fighter...

2. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Paladin:
    + Good fighter and can use lots of good magic and skills.
    -Refuses rewards, can't multiclass without penalty.

Barbarian:
    + great fighter, pure skull-bashing machine, lots of hp, rage!
    -well, he's stupid, only pure tank, conversation sucks, weak against control spells (although that can be helped)

Fighter:
    + Very good hp and attacks, lots of multiclassing possibilities, not stupid unlike the barbarian, very much skills, good all-round defences..
    - Not much..

So, Fighter rules!

3. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Barbarians don't have to be stupid and uncharismatic. Also, Barbarians and Fighters are both equally weak in terms of WILL saves, so there's no difference between the two there.
    Fighters get more feats and so are a bit more skilled at combat, but Barbarians have more hit points, they can Rage and have numerous defences against being hit by traps and sneak attacks.
    Fortunately, the two classes can combine nicely making the ideal warrior.

4. Jadow77 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Front tanker: Barbarian level 20
    Fighter level 10
    This is the best Front tanker!

5. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree with gaius

[ February 03, 2003, 14:11: Message edited by: Ancalìmon The Wise ]

6. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Usually I play with a two or three characters, so my Frontline basher definitely will be:
    - Fighter 15 - for obvious reasons :)
    - Barbarian 8 - for the Rage :")
    - Cleric 7 - many usefull spells and healing ;)
    At the end he'll be a machine for killing...\

If so Jadow, what's your point for not making Fighter 15/ Barbarian 15?

[ February 03, 2003, 14:19: Message edited by: Elan Morin Tedronai ]

7. Misiek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I prefer pure fighter. When you get Cleave, Greater Clevae and Maximzed Attacks, and cast haste on him, he is alomst unbeatable:)

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well, personally I like the Paladin a lot. Good Savings and spellcasting can make tanking a whole lot easier. As for damage wise, you're not hearing any complaints from me. My Paladin can bash a very good amount...

9. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Pure Fighters are definately good as combatants, but painfully boring. I have a single-classed Fighter right now, and he does his job but gods.. Boring as all hell.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    To beef up my fighter's conversational skills and reflex saves I like to add a few rogue levels; the sneak attack is a nice bonus then too. When you do so on a later level that results in a couple of skill points that can boost up your conversation abilities like bluff/ intimidate/ diplomacy considerably. The feats iron will, concentration and bullheaded are a must for a fighter char.

I clearly prefer the lvl-4 to 6 fighter/ rest-barbarian as the ultimate frontliner; though a little weak on skills he's a formidable frontliner and despite his weakness in terms of will saves I'd like to point out that the barbarian's rage gives some resistance to mind affecting spells (+2 to will saves for 5 rounds). His fast movement and perceived low initiative make him attack fast and hit hard and first. A good reason to use that ability more frequent over the game and to concentrate the str-enhancing items on the other chars. The high str of the barb, when half-orc especially, suggests to use a two handed weapon such as a halberd, a greataxe or a greatsword. Anyway, a will save enhanceing/ spell immunity item is clearly useful for every fighter .... *hint* Spells help a lot to overcome will-save problems too.

Pallies are excellent fighters, and aasimar pallies don't even suffer a multiclass penalty. However, the lack of one level is a drawback. I played a pallies through the game and I found them inferior to fighters and barbs in terms of punch but clearly superior in terms of resistance and versatility.

[ February 03, 2003, 14:49: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From my own experience and surfing these forums, it seems that the Paladin of Helm x/ Fighter 4 and the Barbarian x/ Fighter 4 are the ultimate tank builds.

How would these two fare in a one and one match? An interesting question.

A properly equipped Paladin with Holy Avenger, Brazen Bands, and Shield can be quite hard to hit.
    The drawback is that his emphasis on Charisma can mean a partial neglect of physical abilities like strength.

If I'm not mistaken, players often have their Barbarians pack two-handed weapons to get the utmost out of their rages. The drawback is a lower armor class, which takes another two point dive while in an enraged state.

I think it might actually boil down to alignment. If the Barbarian is of evil alignment, he could well find himself reduced to pulp by a Paladin with three Smite Evil attacks.

On the other hand ... I don't myself play Barbarians, but honesty forces me to admit that if the Barbarian is neutral or good in alignment, he just might shred the Paladin apart. Of course, if the Paladin manages to survive the rage (and he just may with Lay on Hands), it could be game over for the Barbarian.

Interesting ...

12. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31

In a one on one, it really is quite equal. With maxed HP, the barb has 2 more hit points per level, plus the ability to add 2 MORE hit points per level through raging. That's 40 extra, say, for a level 10 barb. A paladin, however, can heal 40hp at that same level with an 18 charisma. The barb is usually going to have a better to-hit and damage, but the paladin equates that with a generally much higher AC [shield & some full plate vs. medium armor and dex - rage]. Not to mention, if the paladin can outlast the rage, the barb loses his hit point bonus, and, uh oh... he better be power attacking, and succeeding.

As far as my pick: Paladin x/Fighter 4, as I believe they are closely matched against eachother, and the paladin has, in addition, the ability to turn, heal, and much better saving throws.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.