1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

France and the Ivory Coast

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Llandon, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I was just wondering if there were any opinions out there on the French military operations taking place in the Ivory Coast. Or if anyone really cared.

2. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wasn't aware of them - can you provide a link or a basic rundown of things? I'll Google it in the meantime.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Seems to be a horrible mess but for once the French doesnt seem completely to blame as they were attacked. Now they pretty much seems to be trying to get the **** out of Dodge before things get even worse.

5. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Well, what is the idea of having UN-peacekeeping soldiers, if they are not able to fight back if attacked? Or should the UN go back to the idiotic UNPROFOR-style they showed in the early balkans?

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Sounds a bit one sided to me. The question I would ask is "Why did the planes attack the French position near Bouake?" Seems unlikely that it was an unprovoked attack, especially after a cease-fire. Unless the pilots were acting independently.

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

The radio report I heard was that the French were peacekeeping in rebel-occupied territory when they were attacked. Whether this was a pilot error (wrong target) I don't know, but the report also said that the french destroyed the air force (What, all of it!) in retaliation.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I think they called it a 'premptive strike' actually. The best way to stop an enemy from air-striking you is to simply wipe out their ability to strike from the air... I guess. Looks like this'll be the first war France won't surrender in.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Abomination, you kill me, seriously... I'm laughing so hard here... :lol:

Are you sure you're not an undercover Republican operative sent to NZ to spread their propaganda? Too funny...

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm a little surprised that nobody expressed the opinion that it was a big mistake on France's part to send their infantry to destroy the Cote d'Ivoire government's little airforce while it was sitting on the tarmac.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't justified; there's too little information that I saw to decide. But the action sure pissed off the native populace and precipitated the anti-foregner violence that forced the necessity of the evacuations.

Was it worth it? Hard to say, since it seems the air attack on the French peacekeepers was an isolated incident, and may have been a mistake. I wonder if the French would still destroy those few planes now that they know the consequences.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Was the U.N. consulted???

Is this a violation of international law (assuming you believe such a thing exists)???

You would think in this post-Sadaam era all the peace-loving nations of the world could solve all the problems through dialogue and open discussion. To act so unilaterally is almost war-like and so shameful that I may never eat a loaf of french-bread again. I hope they set up a fund to compensate all of the innocent civilians and their families that their war of aggression is harming.

If only the French had consulted President Bush before acting who knows how many needless deaths could have been avoided. Yet another stain on the reputation of our European brothers. :(

12. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Snook - :grin: That's hilarious.

13. Oxymore Gems: 13/31

Let's see...
    Civil war breaks out, France goes in with UN backing to settle things as peacefully as possible between loyalists and rebels.
    Fragile cease-fire ensues.
    Multinational peacekeeping for with UN backing is sent.
    Things appear to calm down a bit.
    Loyalists break UN cease-fire and use airforce to attack rebels.
    French troops killed in the process.
    UN authorises France to use "all necessary means" to stop the renewed fighting.
    France destroys IC's airforce.
    Loyalists urge mobs to hunt for white blood.

Scenario 1:
    France stays.
    America: "No blood for cocoa, omfg evil French imperialists!"
    Ivory coast: chaos, economic ruin, civil war, genocide.

Scenario 2:
    France pulls out.
    Americans: "Hahaha surrender monkeys!"
    Ivory coast: more chaos, economic ruin, civil war and genocide.

In either case: the world is yet a little bit more ****ed up.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

If only, Tal, if only... ;)

Besides, wasn't being serious. In the post before I stated that there wasn't enough information to pass judgement. The report said it was a pre-emptive strike and if the Americans can use that, I guess the French can.

However, the fact that the population are running around looking for French blood means that something serious must have happened in the past or some very persuasive people are pulling the strings.

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    To understand the situation in Ivory Coast one has to look at the constant stream of anti-french propaganda from the Gbagbo government. Reportedly Gbagbo's government forces have violated the negotiated ceasefire by smuggling arms. That means, they prepared for and wanted to continue fighting against the north, and the french peacekeepers were in their way.

While in Ivory Coast a franco-german friend of my bro was not beaten up and only robbed by pro Gbagbo goons because he chose to travel with his German passport. The Gbagbo gvt blames France conveniently for all maladies that plague the country, including their own corruption. Nevermind it's french investment that keeps Ivory Coast alive.

And as for the UN resolution -- that is underway.

When jolly Georgie Porgie boasted in his election campaign that the US wouldn't wait for anybody to allow the US self defence he was, as usual, misleading. The UN charter does not say that. In fact, no one sais that.
    Instead, the UN charter in Art.51 explicitly states any country's right for self defense. The point in Iraq was that it wasn't ... self-defense but preventive war. But nevermind the facts.

France is in Ivory Coast as part of a peacekeeping force under a peace accord negotiated in France under France's mediation. The situation doesn't demand a UN resolution to place them there. This bilateral peace accord is all France needs to send troops there.
    The reason why France is going to the UN is to cut off arms sales, say by Ukraine, to Ivory Coast rather than to get empowerd for anything.

In Ivory Coast France acted not in prevention but in retaliation. Big difference. How prudent or imprudent that was is another thing.

Generally, the French in Africa have been got along quite well with swift retaliation for provocations - in Africa opponents think twice about even trying. Mr. Gbagbo must be quite self confident to do so. That tells me he won't die old.

[ November 17, 2004, 14:59: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I certainly wouldn't want to be at the business end of the Legionnaires -- those dudes are serious. I find it ironic that France moved in with such force so quickly especially after the stink they raised with the US. But I don't think anyone in the US really has the right to question the act.

As far as UN is concerned, France (mainly the Legionnaires) has been the only country to respond to every request by the UN (they're just responding a bit in advance here).

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To me, the real surprise is that they allowed the attacks to go on in the first place. They were there as peacekeepers after all.

France is in a tough position; neither side is keeping to the agreements.

France wants sanctions placed on Cote d'Ivoire, but an arms embargo would likely be ineffective.

Also, Cote d'Ivoire's neighbors aren't condemning Gbagbo's actions, so it's easy for him to portray the French as plotting a new colonialism.

Hmmm... Looking at the above I see similarities to another current event. Interesting. :lol:

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The key difference is that the French were *invited* by the warring fractions as a result of a consensus reached in negotiations and landed there without resistance - where the others just thought that they would be greeted with flowers, gave a **** about negotiations and had to shoot their way into a mess of their making, oblivious to what they conjured up there.

So, honestly, I don't really see it as similarities, rather like an entirely different story :shake:

19. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

A french officer stated that UN had not given them the mandate to attempt to stop the planes.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    <shrug> The Linas-Marcoussis Agreement specifically stated that the French and ECOWAS forces were there to guarantee compliance with the cease-fire.

And Resolution 1464 said they could use the means available to them to protect civilians from immediate threat of harm. Whether civilans were at risk from the planes is debatable I suppose...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.