1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

FPS issue

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Gnobel, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Gnobel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So I finally got the game to run and the cut scenes and main menu run super smooth, but when I get to the character select/creation screen and get into the game there is some frs drop. Is there a way to adjust the visuals like turn off AA or something?

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Can you hear your CD-ROM (probably a DVD+/-RW these days)? I notice that there is a FPS drop when the game accesses the CD, which is extremely frequently when wandering around the place. It pauses to load all the time. Even though my system has a 52x CD reader.
    Note that this is on my old Dell Optiplex GX110 with only 512mb of RAM and a 1ghz processor and I forgot what the integrated video is like. It was middle of the road 20 years ago, but it plays the game just fine.

EDIT, I just noticed that you said the character creation screen. I don't have any performance issues with character creation, only the lack of choice in feats (and skills, but with the way the game works only the rogue can really use skills, though you can try to have other character pick locks or disarm traps if they need an XP boost to catch up with a small chance of working).
    I'm not sure what is going on.

3. Gnobel Gems: 1/31

yeah, when I went to place my points it got pretty bad and when I got in game and went to turn off the shadows the cursor hardly moved. but yeah I had an old e machine back in the day and it ran the game just fine. I dont know whats going on now. alsp Im playing on a laptop if that makes any difference.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It might. I recall having trouble playing Icewind Dale on a 1.6ghz dual-core laptop with 1gb of RAM, which is about 1.5 times as fast a processor and twice the RAM of the aforementioned Dell Optiplex GX110. I don't recall what the graphics specs on the laptop are, but they are better than the Dell.
    Said GX110 has no issues playing Icewind Dale as far as graphics go, although it does have an issue with the attack sounds being bugged if I install Trials of the Luremaster.

I did figure out that changing the screen resolution and bit depth (number of colors), before playing the game fixed the issue.
    Looking at the readme, it does recommend using 16-bit color. Maybe setting the laptop to 16-bit color will speed things up.
    Also setting it to something like 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution if possible. I don't recall what PoR needs, if it doesn't use the 1024x768 on my Dell it changes it automatically.

5. Gnobel Gems: 1/31

sadly that didnt do it. it doesnt really give me an option to change the resolution. I tried contacting ubisoft but they werent much help.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Some laptops won't support other resolutions. What is your laptop's resolution? If its something weird for the pre-flatscreen/widescreen era, that might be part of the problem. Do try the changing it to 16-bit color however.

7. Gnobel Gems: 1/31

its 1366x768

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That might be part of it, if you can't set the display to 1024x768, which was the standard when PoR2 came out. Well, that and most screens went to 1280x1024.
    I recall IWD had issues with a widescreen on a laptop, but the laptop did allow me to set it to 1024x768 which did work.
    Sorry, I haven't insatalled POR2 on anything but my old Dell Optiplex.

One thing that might work, assuming you are using Windows 10 (If an earlier OS and you can't figure the equivalent out, please let me know and I'll walk you through it for anything from Windows 95 through Win10) is to

• Open Display settings
      • Scroll down and find "Advanced display settings" near the bottom.
      • Choose the display from the pop-up if using multiple monitors
      • Click on "Display adapter properties for display X" (X is a placeholder)
    Sorry, that doesn't seem to work on Windows 10, on earlier versions of Windows you could set the monitor to resolutions that were not recommended with that method. I haven't tried that trick since Windows 7.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.