1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

For the PC wizards among You...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by romaus, Jan 3, 2003.

1. romaus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hello guys,
    this is my first post here at Sorcerer's Place...

I started playing IWD2, I have a P4 1.4 Ghz, 256 RAM and a NVidia GTSII with WinMe...
    not this crap of a PC, but the game stutters like hell: the PCs seem to "think" before executing a command (ALWAYS, not only in those places where Quint & Extremist catched the inventory bug, however I've also installed their fixes)...

I tried to increse the Maximum Frame Rate but that only leads to a crazy stutter/haste/stutter/haste in the PCs and cursor movements...
    :o

I gave a look to the game .ini file and there are some lines I find VERY weird (see below)... if I have a 3D video card why does the game sets the option "3D Acceleration" to -1? I tried to manually set it to 1, but when I lunch the game it sets it back to zero (along with Display Frequency=60... i play at 800x600 and my video supports 85Hz)

:confused:

I have both IWD2 and Throne of Bhaal installed and ToB runs perfectly and smoothly!

The IE engine worked really well with SoA/ToB... with IWD2 I am about to say that bioware made a step backward...

Is there anyone who could give me some suggestions, please??

:(

Thanks and Greets
    RoMaus

PS
    Here are some lines from the game .ini file

[Program Options]
    3D Acceleration=-1
    16Bit Textures=0
    Display Frequency=60
    Resolution=800
    Maximum Frame Rate=40
    Path Search Nodes=400000
    Backwards Compatible 3d=0
    BitsPerPixel=32
    GLSetup Driver=-1

[ January 03, 2003, 17:58: Message edited by: romaus ]

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Please try with disabling hardware acceleration - first for the sound card (inside dxdiag) then if that doesn't help for the graphics card.

3D acceleration is not available inside IWD2 engine despite your efforts to turn it on.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, that GTS and 1.4ghz P4 have the power to run IwD2 pretty decent. Leave your Ai updates at 32,000; that IwD2 doesn't have SSE2 extensions built in.

What's your sound card? Is it a PCI card, or a southbridge function?

The southbridge will pull your system down, a fair amount, with hardware (EAX) sound on. If it's a Soundblaster Live Value, then you've got problems somewhere else. Defragmenting and a contiguous pagefile might help.

4. romaus Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] :D

Thanks for the advice guys! I couldn't imagine the problem was sound-related ...
    My soundcard is a Creative SoundBlaster AudioPCI 64V (WDM) ...
    I am setting DXDialog according to Your suggestions

Thanks again
    RoMaus

PS
    :rolleyes:

One Last thing... I defragmented the HD, but what is "a contiguous pagefile"?
    Have to implement that in the system prefs?

[ January 04, 2003, 11:25: Message edited by: romaus ]

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Pagefile is a large file used by Windows to store temporary data. Through shrinking and expanding Windows pagefile gets spread all around the hard disk in a discontinuous way which prevents your files to be defragmented optimally. I'm unsure for WinME, but the defrag util which comes with Win9x will not disable and remove the pagefile BEFORE defragmenting nor will make it continuous.

Anyone with WinME here?

6. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I had ME, and yeah I had the problem, so yes I upgraded to Win2000. :)

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Um, I actually ment to ask if someone knows how to activate the startup scheme of pressing the continuous pagefile on WinME.

8. romaus Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] :(
    well I implemented all the things you suggested but still the game speed sucks and, MOST FRUSTRATING, my PCs do not obey orders (even with AI turned off): enemies around cast spell, move here move there and my lazy PCs just stay there and get hits...

I don't like when I buy a game that doesn't work...

I'll try to get some comfort with ToB...

:(

[ January 05, 2003, 19:53: Message edited by: romaus ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.