1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Flash Player

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by DarkStrider, Aug 6, 2006.

1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Anytime I try to download the latest flash player nothing happens, it says it's downloaded the files etc about 2 seconds after hitting the download button. Flash player does not work on my machine and it would be nice if it did.

Has anyone had this problem, got round it, got suggestions?

Desparate Dracolich

[ August 06, 2006, 12:26: Message edited by: DarkStrider ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Flash got broken for my Firefox in a similar fashion... it died in mid-installation and attempts to reinstall it have all been futile. Flash still works in my IE, but it's completely messed up in Firefox. Apparently the only solution is to completely uninstall Firefox, delete all residual files, and reinstall FF and Flash. I haven't got around to doing that yet... While I really like Firefox's features, it's buggy to the core, and doesn't crash any less often (or severely) than IE does on the same level of serious usage.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Nonsense. DarkStrider, have you tried finding a Flash-removal utility and thus completely removing the previous version before updating? And if you just need the files, have you tried googling for them? ;)

4. DarkStrider

@Wordplay no and no and no I'll try that

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh yeah, I'm sure my years of personal experience and the issue I've described in particular are nonsense. :rolleyes: Not to mention a number of other Firefox bugs and limitations which result in either a messed up browser session (only fixable by restarting FF), a completely killed FF session (where FF automatically shuts itself down along with everything you've had open in it), or the proverbial hung Firefox processes which have to be killed via the Task Manager. All of which, as a regular Firefox user, I see at least once every few days.

Oh, and Wordplay, when you find a Flash removal utility, do make yourself useful and post a link to it.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Here you go: "How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control."

And a small quote from the official FAQ, which I have found useful:

Firefox is not necessarily the culprit.

7. DarkStrider

Well just for the fun of it I did the 'Trouble with Installation guide' again, and surprise nothing had changed; the only new bit I learnt was that there is an uninstall tool, if I ever get it installed I'll know how to get rid of it.

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I don't certainly have Firefox crash often. Nowhere near. I use pretty much only firefox, and it's open most of the time.

So it crashing "every few days" is decidedly unusual.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Considering I've had it crash in exactly the same manner on 3 different installs of Windows and on several different computers, I don't think so. I too thought that it was just my home computer at first, but when I got identical crashes with it at work on a computer with a totally different set-up and doing totally different things on it, it became clear that that was not the case.

Though admittedly, I've found that it practically never crashes if you use it in granny-mode (i.e. slowly, sporadically, and with few tabs open). But as soon as I start using it as any advanced user would (fast, with a lot of tabs open), it's often just a matter of time before it crashes. But anyway, this is off-topic, so if anyone wants to discuss browsers in more details, please open a new thread.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    But back to the Flash issue - after running the uninstaller, I remembered I've already gone through all of those possible listed steps a few months back with no result. The Flash uninstaller hangs at 93%, just as an attempted reinstall hangs. Even in safe mode. None of the other listed "fixes" work either. So, as I said, the only option is to reinstall Firefox and pray that at least that fixes it. Ehh...

11. DarkStrider

I had the hang at 93% as well but then it finished, tried the install and as usual that did nothing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.