1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Flame Arrow vs Lightning Bolt

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Sarevok, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Lord Sarevok Guest

Which do you think is better? Which one do you tend to use more? I like flame arrow more but that's just me.

2. Naer Dhal Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well Flame Arrow is exellent against Trolls and Lightning Bolt kicks butt against Dragons, so I think its depending the situation, althought like you, I use Flame Arrow more often.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I never use any of those two. Only Melf's Acid Arrow from low spells.

Now, it won't hurt dragons, but I never used electricity agains them nor I'm planning to.

4. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It depends on what you are fighting but overall I use flame arrow more.

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well a flame arrow does 1d6 piercing damage plus 4d6 points of fire damage per arrow. You get an additonal arrow at level 10 and and one more every 5 levels after that. As you see, the damage could be massive, especially if it's sequenced.

Lighting damage is 1d6 per level of the caster, to a maximum of 10d6 at level 10.

Let's compare saying the character is at level 15:

Flame Arrow damage: (these aren't perfect I think so correct me if I am wrong please)

1-6 + 4-24=
    5-30 x 3=
    15-90

Sequenced Damage=(as in 3 Flame Arrows
    Sequenced)

45-270

lightning bolt damage:

10-60

Sequenced Damage:

10-60 x 3=

30-160

Note that the damage is about the same if it was a character was level 10. So it takes longer for the Flame Arrow to get more powerful.

I rarley use lightning bolt because most of the game takes place in cramped quarters, and I don't want to kill my own party.

Note that many "boss" creatures resist both of these elements so this isn't your ultimate weapon of destruction, it's just a sure-fire way to take out an enemy.

Used against an unprotected foe, either of these will usually kill it with a single one.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 23, 2001).]

6. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Flame arrow is better as a SPELL, but the wand of lighting is better, bcause you can use up to fifty charges, each having six stanadard bolts. while with sequenced flame arrows you only have at most three sequencers if you cast them in battle. And with the wand of ligeting, you can attack Diffrent targets. useful for clearing a room, especial if you party has elec. restance. :)

7. Demonater351 Guest

Keeping control of a bouncing Lightning Bolt is like holding a wolf by the ears (to paraphrase Caesar). Unless your party is wearing some Protection from Energy, it'll take a chunk outta them *and* the enemy. I prefer Flame Arrow in enclosed areas, and Lightning Bolt in open areas.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i always use fireball and haste for 3rd level spells. I mean, you find so may lightning wands and rarely use em. I may give flame arrow a whirl next time, but i prefer area effect spells.

9. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Once upon a time I met Mekrath and pissed him well, he beefed himself up as well as casting Protection from electricity. I realised what he gonna do and cast Remove Magic on him, then the man cast Lightning Bolt.;) You know the room is small and that bolt luckily didn't get on me. Meantime I just watched Mekrath be roasted to death.:cool:

Hehheh Lighting Bolt, fantastic spell, isn't it?:rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.