1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First PS:T run, kinda lost...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Disciple of The Watch, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

So I finally got PS:T. Not a bad game from what I've seen... but I'm kinda lost at the moment.

- That journal. Where in the nine hells do you find that?
    - Pharod. I got my ass kicked in the Trash Warrens, which I'm told is where I need to go.
    - Dak'kon or any other PC - kinda need some extra muscle. Where can I get the said extra muscle?

No spoilers, please.

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    1) Didn't Morte tell you to start a new one? Your actual journal you find later in the game, and it'll be spoileriffic to tell you where it is.
    2) So what if you get your ass kicked, you're immortal! Seriously though, do some quests in Sigil first.
    3) Dak'kon's in a bar.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    There's loads of really cool quests you pick up just by walking around talking to folk. In this game, even a normal looking peasant you'd normally run straight past can give you a quest, or just have really funny dialogue. You don't need to jump straight into finding Pharod and your journal just yet.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Getting your ass kicked in the Trash Warrens is normal, even if you have quite some experience already. Dying now and then is quite useful, it can cure some status bugs like permanent thac0 penalty by the "ice knife" spell and sometimes it can help to proceed in the story.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just take your time. Do quests (the Fed Ex quest is quite funny -- and very beneficial if you actually do what everyone tells you to do). Gain experience.

Also, Morte gains a good weapon helping someone. He gains abilities if you get certain people to lose their composure.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Quick update progress...

I picked up Dak'kon at the Smoldering Corpse. BTW, Ignus? I seem to recall hearing that you can recruit the, err, thing.

My NO has became a thief. Not sure if this is a good class for PS:T, but I have a backup save.

Also adding Dak'kon, I was able to clear almost all the remaining parts of the Trash Warrens, and I met the guy who asks you what you're doing here... going to need some more XP before I can spank this idiot and his cronies.

Oh, one last thing... I heard WIS is a very important stat in PS:T. True?

7. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Wisdom is very important, true.
    High intelligence helps a lot too.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Thief class is OK.

There is a person in the Hive who can both train you as a fighter and help you switch back to fighter class.

Speak to Porphiron in the Northwestern Hive Sector (the Flophouse sector).

If you've already received fighter training, Dak'kon can also help you if you want to switch to fighter.

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    I've never played a thief. Should be OK though, and you can always switch pretty easily if you don't like it. IMO the most important stats are WIS, INT and CHA, in that order. WIS by far the most important.

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Wisdom is the most useful stat in PST. It grants more and better dialogue options than the the other 5 stats combined, a bonus to experience (2-3 percent per point in wis) which lets you level and gain more stat points faster and a luck bonus (+1 for 15-17, +2 for 18-24) which is extremely useful, not only in combat.
    Although you can beat the game with 9 wis I wouldn't raise another stat before it is at least 18 (including tattoos).

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    TNO is not like a normal character. He can switch between professions with a simple conversation. You gain experience points in the profession that is active. He can only use a particular profession if it is active. You will have the opportunity to recruit two NPC's who can shift you between professions at any time after you have been initially trained in those professions.

Gaining levels in other professions is good for many reasons -- you have additional dialog open at times if you are a thief or a mage. You can help a couple of your companions develop. Every level TNO takes will gain him at least one hit point. It also makes a more rounded and interesting character IMO.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Another update...

I completed my first run. Not a bad game, as a matter of fact, I started a new run. And DAAMN, Vhailor tanks like nobody's buisness against the last boss when you tell him

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Wow, that was quick. I played it for aaages and still never finished it. I got towards the end then got distracted. My favourite NPC is Nordrom - did you take him?

Quality game though, nay?

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Vhailor is by far the best tank. I had trouble clearing the prisons (my party wasn't very melee oriented) so just ran away from the big fight, then came back after getting Vhailor and he managed to clean it up almost single-handedly.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.