1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First-play character build suggestions

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Monkey's Paw, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Monkey's Paw Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have the game but haven't installed it yet (I'm about to build a compatible system). Let's assume I'm only going to play it once. I'm looking for suggested character builds that will allow me to experience as much of the game as possible (accessing areas, opening the most interesting dialogues), rather than just build an uber-powerful killing machine (and there are already threads with those kinds of characters). Granted, I'm also hoping for someone who has enough firepower to get through the tough battles without a dozen reloads.

My initial thought was something including a Sorcerer/RDD combo, but that's more of a fleeting thought than anything else. Ideas?

Edit: The other factor would be complementing the NPCs I'm likely to get into my party.

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If its the campaign your after, then know that you can finish it with any class. Due to the NPC's available, your never wanting for a class to do something for you, nor will you be overpowered in more than one specific fight.

My basic suggestion would be to chose whatever class interests you, but make sure they have points invested in one, two, or all three speaking skills (this is where you would miss stuff!).

3. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Unfortunately, the game is definitely geared towards a Lawful Good tank, i.e. a Paladin. There are numerous situations in the game that force your character upfront into a conversation that inevitably leads to a fight. There are also a few fights you're forced to solo. It's certainly do-able as a wimpy Bard or Wizard but it's a pain to be forced to tank while your henchmen stand behind you. Also, most of the evil options are kind of lame and immature.

Most fights aren't that challenging and you get lots of henchmen you can level up as very good killing machines allowing you to play a conversation skill-focused character just fine. A Bard or Rogue-type would do well as it will open up the most conversation options and about half the game is talking. Such a character would struggle during the tougher fights, but you'll survive.

Don't bother with the crafting skills and feats as your henchmen can craft just fine and you get so many that it's no trouble to make one of the mages or the bard the dedicated crafter.

I would not recommend a Sorc/RDD. Worst. Build. Ever. I had a blast with a pure sorcerer but failed every conversation skill check (with zero ranks invested -- I figured his Charisma would be high enough but not so). Bard, Harper Scout or Shadow Thief of Amn would be a great conversation-focused character.

4. Shebali Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I can recommend playing a druid. They can handle themselves and have fun spells like firestorm, earthquake and similar, and they have Diplomacy as a class skill. They also have some nice feats.

The only drawback is the lack of interesting prestige classes for druids. There is the warpriest, but no option feels really tempting.

One other minor drawback is their neutrality issues.
    It is a bit of a challenge to stick to the right track, but as long as you are prepared to role-play a druid then I strongly recommend giving it a go.

I chose a Wood Elf to get the extra weapon proficiences, but there are good druid weapons in the game, so any race would suit just fine.

5. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'd agree with that. My first playthrough was with a druid\warpriest and i had a good time of it. The character could talk herself out of any situation with her diplomacy skill (you'll need boosting equipment in order to succeed in most cases), buff herself up and lay it on the enemy via spells and melee and as for special feats, there is oaken resiliance and elephant hide - the former gives immunity to knockdown and critical, etc, while the latter gives a huge boost to AC.

I found that the neutrality restriction wasnt that great of issue. While its hard to judge where you stand alignment wise (no visible counter that i saw anyway), I enjoyed being able to be the chaotic type once in a while - keeps things from getting bland.

6. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

I would suggest a dual-classed rogue of some sort, not only for the fun of it (love the Arcane Trickster), but you'll have enough rouge-skills yourself, and won't be obligated to bring along an NPC thief (who's, IMO, quite annoying indeed). I'm play as 4 Rogue/5 Wizard/X Arcane Trickster. I guess this class is more if you want to micromanage, sneak attack, buff yourself, and just backstab around (trickster-wise).

Alot of people seem to enjoy playing as good-aligned characters, mostly Paladins, and also Druids. I've never enjoyed playing as good. I always seem to end up with either Chaotic Neutral or Neutral Evil. Either not caring about anything, or just looking after my own benefit. It feels good to role-play in that way.

I'd say just look through the diffrent classes and prestige classes and pick whatever feels right for you, not the game itself.

I've got some points in bluff and diplomacy, though as my character views the world, any loot from a corpse is better then talking yourself out of it. This is just my style of play.

Anything goes, don't go with the flow. I'd say that the game experience is maximazed if you enjoy playing your class and feel fine about it through-out the whole game, not specific encouters and such.

Cheers

7. Monkey's Paw Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

LOL, thanks for the unqualified recommendation against the RDD. I just liked the wings.

Good warning about the Rogue NPC. I kind of like the idea of a multi-class rogue type, and being able to avoid an annoying NPC is a big plus. I also like to cast spells, without being a delicate flower who can't handle a couple rounds of melee, so a buffed druid is definitely an option. My preferred alignment is Chaotic Good, but I can go neutral in a pinch (I usually avoid Lawful or Evil alignments, though).

I'm a few days away from having a working machine, so I'm still listening if there are more suggestions.

8. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

RDDs don't get wings in NWN2, so yet another reason not to make a Sorc/RDD. :)

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

The character I'm trying to work on right now is a wizard with 16str/17int/16Dex 10(11) all other stats going with martial weapon prof and two weapon fighting. (could be 18 str/int and 10 other stats and no two weap fighting though), and it's awesome. I can't believe how fun it is to aggro a mob with magic missile, burning hands it, then charge into the melee frenzy with Khelgar!

The character is going to have weak diplomacy/intimidate because of no charisma and cross-class skills, but I figure it doesn't matter since I have skill points to spare with high int.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had no diplomacy/intimidate at all and everything turned out OK.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That sounds pretty crappy. So there's no point at all in taking those skills? What a waste of time. Having those skills should have some impact, otherwise, it's stupid.

12. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

The conversation skills help with some things. You can talk your way out of a fight, for example (sometimes netting more XP than if you had fought) and it helps when influencing your companions in some cases.

Other skills get used in conversations as well, such as Appraise, Spellcraft, Perform and even Spot. But ultimately the game turns out the same regardless. There is a big defending-your-life trial in the game which gives you about a million conversation options and angles but in the end it doesn't really matter how well you do or how much you flub it, win or lose the end result is always the same and the game moves forward.

NWN2 is like a massive row of dominoes; each one must fall in turn or the entire game breaks. So you may be given three options but they all end up being some form of "Okay, I push the domino over."

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Right. Like I lost one of the miners for my keep because I had no ability to keep him through conversation, but I didn't really need him in order to win the game.

So if you have those skills, it does matter, but they are not necessary to win the game. There were many, many conversations where I could attempt diplomacy or intimidation, but I would always fail, so eventually I just stopped choosing those options.

14. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

It's hard having them at (level + 3) / 2 as well. But nonetheless I think they're worth having. I plan on intimidating Torio with my uber melee/caster eldrich knight!

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I am enjoying playing a paladin/divine champion. Decent fighter, ok spells, excellent interaction stats (Diplomacy, Taunt, etc...) My Diplomacy is so high, I won my trial!!! :D

Anyway, I like pallys, I always play them first, then a halfling rogue, then a dwarf, then a wizard, etc...I want to try the eldritch knight.

16. omnigodly Gems: 17/31

Veteran

that seems to be my first character through a game everytime as well Bel.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I just tend to think that no matter the game or module, so long as it's 3E and well made, you do well to have good CHA and INT at the same time, for talking skills. Unless you really don't want them. For example, I generally go for Diplomacy alone, so I'm perfectly fine with just it.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Aasimar Paladin-Fighter was an irrresistible temptation for me. Good offensive power coupled with supreme defense in a tank.

Perfect talking head for a party, too. Only drawback is that giving it a prestige class will be a tough choice.

It's so long since I played IWD2 that I forgot what stat-monsters Assimars are, or Tieflings for that instance.

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    BTA wrote:
    Wow! Just like my real life! :lol: :grin: :spin: :roll:

[Corrected the missing "my" typo :lol: -BTA]

[ December 29, 2006, 20:44: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Rags:

If you already take 4 levels of fighter, you may as well forget paladin spellcasting already (caster level is properly halved and spells are nerfed) and just get a PrC or even two - Divine Champion and Neverwinter Nine seem to work for people.

I guess I'll just still go plain pally the first time through. And with even the nerfed spells.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.